One of our trucks hit a kid

Not a nice thing but one of our trucks hit a kid last night.Had to go to the scene and assit as the driver was in complete shock and i was only 20 mins away.The boy was taken away by air ambulance and it dont look good at all,the police had part of wandsworth high st shut when i got there and they told me the driver is in the clear as many witness’s had said the boy just ran straight into the road and there was nothing else the driver could do.Just hope the boy gets better and the driver come to that as it can’t be nice for him at all.The police have taken the truck away to do all the tests on it but its a 60 plate and in good working order.Just goes to show you never know whats going to happen when you get into your truck.

To be honest, I blame the gvt, authorities and parents.

They keep telling about rights and being able to sue etc, so these bloody idiots now just walk out infront of you, dawdle across roads and stand right on the edge of kurbs when you’re turning.

And in their head they’re thinking ‘if he hits me, I’ll sue him’, not realising that if they get hit, they’ll be lucky to tell anyone about it, never mind sue.

Had a kid walk right out infront of me on a pedestrian crossing once, he’d come straight out of the shop and straight onto it, so there was nobody near it as I was approaching, slammed anchors on, laptop fell off bunk and everything, this little ■■■■ thought it was funny, was gonna get out and kick the little ■■■■■ head in :imp:

Very sorry to hear about your driver and hope he’s ok, but I think it’d be wise to have a backup driver, because I’ll put money he’ll never be the same again.

Sorry to hear that but it could happen to any of us, my Grandad once hit a girl down after she ran from behind an icecream van, she lived but he never drove again until he passed away 12 years later.

i must admit i have noticed how many folks dont stop at end of path,just walk straight across junction without looking,there normally engrossed in there blackberry :unamused: :unamused:

ady1:
i must admit i have noticed how many folks dont stop at end of path,just walk straight across junction without looking,there normally engrossed in there blackberry :unamused: :unamused:

Or they’re walking around with headphones in, oblivious to what going on around them

I hope the kid is ok and the driver gets over it.

Last week, we were walking up to the bank when I saw two children about 7 or 8, they ran straight out my street across the main road to the shop without looking.

On the way back I saw these two again, a little boy and girl and I called them over. I told them both what I had seen and asked them to go home and tell their mum what they had done and how dangerous it was. They just nodded and my Julie said, they are not going to say anything :unamused:

She was wrong, later that day the door bell rang and there were two kids and a mother who made them say sorry and wouldn’t do it again, she thanked me. The little girl had told her mum. :slight_smile:

I said afterwards that in some parts of Britain, the father would have paid me a visit and probably stabbed me.

I did feel quite warm inside after I closed the front door.

is the truck ok?

limeyphil:
is the truck ok?

If this was supposed to be a funny comment, think again

I thought it was funny…in fact i was going to ask where did the goat come from ( kid ) :laughing: :laughing:

Come on guys, there is a time and place for humour.thoughts are with the driver.Remember it could be any one of us next time.

limeyphil:
is the truck ok?

Classic.

Have you ever noticed when your passing through a less desirable area, the young mothers who are out with pushchairs push them into the road whilst the mum stops on the central island kerb. Mental the lot of em.

Imp:
Have you ever noticed when your passing through a less desirable area, the young mothers who are out with pushchairs push them into the road whilst the mum stops on the central island kerb. Mental the lot of em.

That annoies me alot, but it happens everywhere, not just “less desirable areas”.

Kids run across roads without looking.

Its not a 21st century thing or linked to deprivation lol

Hope the kid is ok

Had a couple of muppets in Nottingham on Friday, all luvvy duvvy, he was a bit close to kerb I was thinking of giving a toot so my mirrors didn’t give him a headache, when he stepped out, heels against kerb, bird had her arms round his neck, I [zb] myself, threw the anchor out and on horn and gesticulating for him to get back, I couldn’t move over without sideswiping car in lane 2 (I was seriously considering it though), nor could I stop in time, fortunately he worked out what was gonna happen and stepped back. I wasn’t expecting any thanks from him and I certainly wasn’t expecting her to give me the Gareth Hunt handshake :open_mouth: :imp:

Saaamon:

limeyphil:
is the truck ok?

Classic.

Why is that classic? Bloke’s an idiot for posting that nonsense,can’t see his comment as remotely amusing.
You ought to try driving through Canadian cities where pedestrians HAVE right of way,they simply step of the kerb straight in front of you,no matter what size vehicle you’re driving,
Can only assume Limeyphil hasn’t bred yet otherwise the fool would maybe think twice before banging his keyboard,probably the closest he gets to reality :laughing: :laughing:

garp:
Not a nice thing but one of our trucks hit a kid last night.Had to go to the scene and assit as the driver was in complete shock and i was only 20 mins away.The boy was taken away by air ambulance and it dont look good at all,the police had part of wandsworth high st shut when i got there and they told me the driver is in the clear as many witness’s had said the boy just ran straight into the road and there was nothing else the driver could do.Just hope the boy gets better and the driver come to that as it can’t be nice for him at all.The police have taken the truck away to do all the tests on it but its a 60 plate and in good working order.Just goes to show you never know whats going to happen when you get into your truck.

Bad news that, hope everyone is ok. Increased awareness is needed in driving in general, most drivers seem to look no further than their bonnet. Speed, awareness and being able to stop safely in the distance you can see to be clear comes to mind.

Has anyone else noticed that nowadays kids walk on the outside when walking with parent ( s ) ?
In the interests of safety , the parent should be keeping the kid away from the kerb edge.
Maybe there is the belief that if owt happens , and the kid gets killed , it`s easier to replace the kid with another , than to replace a parent ! !
Cheers, cattle wagon man.

The kid is still in ICU but apart from that not getting any other info.Been off work monday and today but from what i hear the kid ran into the nearside door area of the cab and bounced back and cracked his head open on the road.The driver is still in shock as he does have children and relises how bad the situation is unlike some.But some of the comments on here are correct about people just walking out in front of us and the comment about zebra crossing struck a cord with me ,every time i am near one i am checking who is walking near it as i have had people just walk out as they think its there right and we should all have to stop which can be a bit hard when you are a few feet from the crossing and you are in a truck.Seeing the state of the driver i would not wish this on anyone.

Tell your friend to have a break and relax and get back behind that wheel because if he don’t he will find it hard to get back behind any vehicle

Hope the driver is fine and fingers crossed that the kid is ok