One of our trucks hit a kid

cattle wagon man:
Has anyone else noticed that nowadays kids walk on the outside when walking with parent ( s ) ?
In the interests of safety , the parent should be keeping the kid away from the kerb edge.
Maybe there is the belief that if owt happens , and the kid gets killed , it`s easier to replace the kid with another , than to replace a parent ! !
Cheers, cattle wagon man.

Noticed that just this week, talking to a nursery teacher and of she goes, one kid nearest the wall and two on the outside, very busy main road. Changed views and attitudes, maybe she’s right and we are wrong?

Just ah had a phone call from out transport office to say the kid has been moved from ICU to a ward ,he still has a long way to go but at least he is moving in the right direction.I hope this news helps our driver as well because i know h has had no sleep since this happened.

garp:
Just ah had a phone call from out transport office to say the kid has been moved from ICU to a ward ,he still has a long way to go but at least he is moving in the right direction.I hope this news helps our driver as well because i know h has had no sleep since this happened.

That is good news at least, we wish him well.

I had a guy walk in front of me last year, he stepped straight of the pavement whilst on the phone.
He hit the screen and it caved in, TBH, I thought i’d killed him.
Lucky for him he was ok, plus we have cctv on the bus that cleared me.

TBH, we all avoid running people over everyday because we are proffesinal drivers, but, I am getting extremely fed up with people walking out in front of me.

alamcculloch:
Come on guys, there is a time and place for humour.thoughts are with the driver.Remember it could be any one of us next time.

I am with limeyphil on this one i killed a chap on a motorbike a few years ago in Holland after he ran strait in to me with the intention of committing suicide and it was humour that helped me live with it.

thetourist:

alamcculloch:
Come on guys, there is a time and place for humour.thoughts are with the driver.Remember it could be any one of us next time.

I am with limeyphil on this one i killed a chap on a motorbike a few years ago in Holland after he ran strait in to me with the intention of committing suicide and it was humour that helped me live with it.

just the same humour as we used when one of our lads broke his leg.
he was loading glass when he fell off a gantry, we heard his leg crack.
i put my jacket under his head, then said “Alright?”
another lad said “you didn’t break the glass did you?”
then another lad said “i can’t phone an ambulance, it’s tea break”.

limeyphil:

thetourist:

alamcculloch:

Both on a break then :stuck_out_tongue:

limeyphil:

thetourist:

alamcculloch:

LMAO! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

limeyphil:

Did none of you know the first rule of first aid?

Through the pockets first. :laughing:

Good to see that the kids is going in the right direction, I hate driving past schools at kicking out time, I have lost count of the amount of children who just run straight out onto the road, maybe time to bring [ back the Tufty Club

On the subject of the humour though, I smashed my thumb with a hammer last year and the first thing the first aider said to me was " do you want a beer" :open_mouth:

waynedl:
To be honest, I blame the gvt, authorities and parents.

They keep telling about rights and being able to sue etc, so these bloody idiots now just walk out infront of you, dawdle across roads and stand right on the edge of kurbs when you’re turning.

And in their head they’re thinking ‘if he hits me, I’ll sue him’, not realising that if they get hit, they’ll be lucky to tell anyone about it, never mind sue.

Had a kid walk right out infront of me on a pedestrian crossing once, he’d come straight out of the shop and straight onto it, so there was nobody near it as I was approaching, slammed anchors on, laptop fell off bunk and everything, this little [zb] thought it was funny, was gonna get out and kick the little [zb] head in :imp:

Very sorry to hear about your driver and hope he’s ok, but I think it’d be wise to have a backup driver, because I’ll put money he’ll never be the same again.

i had a kid that let go of his mams hand and ran across the pelican crossing that i was approaching in leeds, i swerved left, mounted the grass verge, skided back onto the road because the grass area was a mound, the kid kept on running and hit the side of my car, his head hitting the bonnet, this happened in 1988 and i can still see this in my head as if it happened yesterday, to cut a long story short, the mother admitted to letting go of his hand on a very busy dual carriageway, witnesses to prove i did everything possible to avoid the boy, but i got done for due care and attention…and the worse thing…the boy died 3 days later, he was 3 years old

Really sorry to hear about this incident and hope that the child and driver are ultimately OK. :frowning:

I hit a kid (well 14 or 15 yr old) earlier this year in the bus.

Just stepped off the pavement, backwards not even facing the right direction!..i was doing 25-30, swerved hard right, thought i’d missed him…then there was an almighty bang, the n/s screen smashed and i saw this kid crumpled in a heap right up against the side of a wall next to the pavement.
Was convinced i had killed him…by the time i stopped and got back to him, he was trying to stand up, with an obvious head injury…
Thankfully, i only caught him a glancing blow and knocked him away from the bus…the head injury was sustained when he hit the floor. Had i not swerved, or had he made it another 12" out into the road he would have gone under the bus.

He spend a night in hospital and was home the next day.

Took the police nearly 5 months, despite loads of witnesses stating what happened, to decide not to take any action against me! Got the letter last week.

Went into work today after 2 days off and the news is all good.The kid is in a normal ward and is on the mend minus his front teeth and also a cracked scull.The company got there truck back from the police and you can see the kids teeth marks on the side of the truck where he hit it.The driver has been given the week off and the police said no action will be taken against the driver or the company,i think this has turned out as well as it could in the circumstances.

garp:
Went into work today after 2 days off and the news is all good.The kid is in a normal ward and is on the mend minus his front teeth and also a cracked scull.The company got there truck back from the police and you can see the kids teeth marks on the side of the truck where he hit it.The driver has been given the week off and the police said no action will be taken against the driver or the company,i think this has turned out as well as it could in the circumstances.

Unless he has already gone through his baby teeth :laughing:

Glad it’s a happy ending though, hopefully it wont effect the driver to badly.

garp:
… the news is all good.The kid is in a normal ward and is on the mend… the police said no action will be taken against the driver or the company,i think this has turned out as well as it could in the circumstances.

I wasn’t quite sure whether to take another look at this thread again, in case the worst had happened, but this is very happy news, so I dropped by.

I doubt the driver is feeling too good at the moment, but at least the child will live to be older and wiser and the driver has no prosecution looming over him. Hopefully the shock will pass in time.

Glad to hear too, that other posters on this thread have had good news - very sad for those who didn’t have such a positive outcome.

It could happen to anyone.