One hell of a day!

gary speed for one beautiful wife/family national team manger and flying from the outside looking in why would he be suicidal?

The people who unfortunately feel there is no other way to end their lives ether in a public way or privately are simply not in the right frame of mind to be thinking of others when they go through with it.
That’s really the bottom line without going into the medical side to things to deeply as you could quite simply write a few thousand books on the subject of metal Heath alone.
As for having no love ones looking out for them, well that couldn’t be more wrong. In most cases where the person takes their life there are families and friends who for years have battled to get them help and support and gone through a living hell helping them cope with metal illness.
I know that when a person jumps in front of a train or in this case jumps from a building it causes delays etc and the reactions and thoughts of others are that of a selfish nature but there really is more to it.
Although i am looking forward to going back to truck driving again and I didn’t want this to be my first ‘hello’ post but after 20 years of front line policing and
having dealt with many tragic incidents such as this, there really is a lot more going on behind the scenes than most people really know and I hope that no one here has to experience a love one with a mental illness but believe me, there would have been many events leading up to this.

It’s about time we had a copper/ex-copper on here that isn’t a complete bell-end.

Welcome to TruckNet. :smiley:

Contraflow:
It’s about time we had a copper/ex-copper on here that isn’t a complete bell-end.

Welcome to TruckNet. :smiley:

+1 :slight_smile:

As I said, for families of the bereaved, or the people who have to deal with it, it’s a tragedy - but for those of us who are on the periphery of these things, it’s simply a ball-ache. I would never say it to the face of somebody affected personally - but that’s the way it is…

yes the police can sign your print out as long as you are going straight back to the yard and doing nothing else

Only partially correct - you can in fact do almost anything ( as far as the road traffic acts go) as long as it is at the direct instruction of a police constable or higher. a sensible driver would get the officers number before doing anything outside the norm thougth

I would have just had the 9 off got back and gone home fella yeah it FUBAR’s your day etc bit like my night coming back up from Devon sat morning.

Did no one loot the corpse’s pockets?

Cheap hotel for at least a 9 off, bill it to your firm no matter how small,
I personally wouldnt drive on the ‘word’ of a rozzer, rather keep things tidy and be safe in the knowledge that I have kept it legal.

Left hand down!:

rob22888:

Left hand down!:

LASHHGV:
So LHD you think all suicidal people think is that they just want to mess up people’s days?

Those that hang off bridges, buildings etc, yes, yes I do. Otherwise they’d just get on with it in private and not affect anyone else. I’m not quite sure how you can argue otherwise.

It’s a cry for attention & help.

People who stand on the edge of motorway bridges etc. and hesitate are not in a good place mentally. If they really wanted to commit suicide then they would surely do it, like the many that fling themselves in front of trains and top/hang themselves. To just push them/gun them down so everyone can get on with their day is a wholly insensitive & ludicrous solution. What would your opinion be if it was your son or daughter?

If it were my son or daughter they wouldn’t be in that situation as that what family are for :bulb: . That’s what annoys me about these heart string tugging posts, “oh but what about their poor grieving relatives?”. Well hang on a second, they obviously didn’t give a [zb] about them when they were alive otherwise they wouldn’t be hanging off a bridge over the M1 so why are they suddenly pretending to give a [zb] about them now that they’re in 100 pieces scattered across 3 lanes of the motorway? It’s a load of pretentious bull [zb] and people fall for it (pardon the pun) every time. Get a grip people. They know what they’re doing right from the get go and it’s all a load of selfish and pathetic attention seeking which 99% of the time ends up ruining everyone else’s day. Well [zb] 'em. Get the sniper aimed on them or have someone get up there and give them the push they want. I’m happy with either solution.

Tough brave words from someone who’s not been there, and i hope you never discover what happens to your lives when someone close to you suicides.

Do you really believe that someone who’s reached a point in their life that they want to end it, is going to be mulling sensibly over the methods to cause the least disruption?

If you really believe that i feel sorry for you.

If it were my son or daughter they wouldn’t be in that situation as that what family are for :bulb: . That’s what annoys me about these heart string tugging posts, “oh but what about their poor grieving relatives?”. Well hang on a second, they obviously didn’t give a [zb] about them when they were alive otherwise they wouldn’t be hanging off a bridge over the M1 so why are they suddenly pretending to give a [zb] about them now that they’re in 100 pieces scattered across 3 lanes of the motorway? It’s a load of pretentious bull [zb] and people fall for it (pardon the pun) every time. Get a grip people. They know what they’re doing right from the get go and it’s all a load of selfish and pathetic attention seeking which 99% of the time ends up ruining everyone else’s day. Well [zb] 'em. Get the sniper aimed on them or have someone get up there and give them the push they want. I’m happy with either solution.

It is quite clear from your totally insensitive post that you have never had to deal with somebody close to you struggle with the demons of mental illness,and your post would also suggest and that you lack the compassion and intelligence to be of any use to them if they were.

Quite obvious that there are some serious Neanderthals posting on here.
people who have absolutely no idea of what depression leading to suicide is.
You can have the most loving family around you and still be seriously depressed.
You also wouldn’t be thinking about going out in a blaze of glory, merely finding the simplest way to do it ,AT THAT MOMENT, maybe jumping from a bridge or jumping under a train, one thing is certain, the effects on members of the public witnessing it is the last thing on your mind.
It’s time some of you grew up and developed a bit of compassion instead of playing the callous, hardcase type of man you seem to think is impressive.

Juddian:

Left hand down!:

rob22888:

Left hand down!:

LASHHGV:
So LHD you think all suicidal people think is that they just want to mess up people’s days?

Those that hang off bridges, buildings etc, yes, yes I do. Otherwise they’d just get on with it in private and not affect anyone else. I’m not quite sure how you can argue otherwise.

It’s a cry for attention & help.

People who stand on the edge of motorway bridges etc. and hesitate are not in a good place mentally. If they really wanted to commit suicide then they would surely do it, like the many that fling themselves in front of trains and top/hang themselves. To just push them/gun them down so everyone can get on with their day is a wholly insensitive & ludicrous solution. What would your opinion be if it was your son or daughter?

Tough brave words from someone who’s not been there, and i hope you never discover what happens to your lives when someone close to you suicides.

Do you really believe that someone who’s reached a point in their life that they want to end it, is going to be mulling sensibly over the methods to cause the least disruption?

If you really believe that i feel sorry for you.

I couldn’t give a ■■■■ to be honest. If they refuse any kind of help from family/shrinks/whatever then fine, get on with it. Let me know when you want the push. If they can’t cope with life what’s the point in wasting your time and effort trying to force them to do something they don’t want. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.

They couldn’t give a ■■■■ about anyone else when they’re dangling off a bridge bringing a major arterial route to a standstill which affects tens of thousands of people so they should be treated with the same selfish manner that they are forcing on everyone else. Insensitive? ■■■■ right.

LHD, there’s is, unfortunately always someone like you who thinks the world owe’s them. I come across many of you in my job. But it’s funny when they don’t have an audience or more importantly if it were one of their own family they change their tune.
I know your trying to make the point that you don’t like to be inconvenienced but sometimes you just need to sit back and realise that there may be more important things going on in the world.
All I ask is at some point when you have read this that you just think of the person who means the most to you, now think of them with a metal illness and doing what this poor chap has done. If you still have no compassion then just maybe that sniper is aiming at the wrong person.

Suicides are counter productive! We all gonna die! Everyone grab popcorn! Now seriously, it’s survival of the fittest. It’s the education that counts and how a individual was raised. Childs made because condoms where to expensive.
About the important problem:
No worry! Ull be lucky & vosa won’t stop you! :wink:

As a train driver I think these people are quite selfish, ok so they ain’t in the right frame of mind but doing what they do in public doesn’t just cause inconvenience it causes people distress. Imagine if a kid had seen that person hit the deck, not something I’d want my child seeing.
In my job it’s a common occurance and it can mess up someone’s career, I know many train drivers that have not been able to go back after having a jumper.
I agree that in some situations these people are so messed up mentally that obviously they don’t think about others and the impact but it doesn’t make it right what they do.
If people want to rant about it messing there day up then so be it, these people who kill themselves are so determined that if they don’t do it today it will probably be tomorrow.
I used to be a medic in the london ambulance service and I’ve seen some sights from people who do this.
It affects alot of other people and it’s natural for people to speak out about it.
Yes it’s sad but some people are beyond help.
If someone jumped in front of me deliberately then I wouldn’t feel much for them to be honest, plenty of other options out there to seek help etc.
Jumping off a building or in front if a train is someone who has decided that’s it, I’m done and in very few cases can these people be talked out if it, believe me I’ve tried.

Probably about twenty years ago now, friends of ours had a son who was severely depressed. He was 18 and his family were doing everything they could to help him. His mother came home one day and found him after he’d put a 12 gauge shotgun in his mouth and blown his head apart.

No smart arse comments about doing it in private thanks. I can’t imagine how that felt for his family because I bawled me eyes out at his funereal and we were only friends.

What I’m getting at is that like someone else has said, if you’re that bad you don’t start thinking of others, all you’ve got is the black dog.

It’s a pita if you get held up, but what can you do ?

I recently heard of a suicide of a friend’s friend, he had been to work as normal that day, said his goodbyes in a completely normal manner and never arrived home, he had hung himself in some woods, he did it with his shoelaces and was kneeling down and leaning forwards, so it’s safe to assume it wasn’t quick or pain free.

You cannot comprehend how sad somebody has to be to be able to do that to themselves. Taking your own life is not the actions of somebody that is thinking rationally in any way, shape or form, no matter how or where they do it.

The same applies to those that threaten to jump or whatever, these people are clearly in need of help, they’re not quite far enough gone that they want to end it all, yet they’re almost there, the remaining shreds of rationality stop them from going all the way.

A royal PITA when they’re doing this and it ■■■■■ up your day, no doubt about that, but anybody with a shred of decency wouldn’t complain about their “selfishness”

newmercman:
I recently heard of a suicide of a friend’s friend, he had been to work as normal that day, said his goodbyes in a completely normal manner and never arrived home, he had hung himself in some woods, he did it with his shoelaces and was kneeling down and leaning forwards, so it’s safe to assume it wasn’t quick or pain free.

You cannot comprehend how sad somebody has to be to be able to do that to themselves. Taking your own life is not the actions of somebody that is thinking rationally in any way, shape or form, no matter how or where they do it.

The same applies to those that threaten to jump or whatever, these people are clearly in need of help, they’re not quite far enough gone that they want to end it all, yet they’re almost there, the remaining shreds of rationality stop them from going all the way.

A royal PITA when they’re doing this and it [zb] up your day, no doubt about that, but anybody with a shred of decency wouldn’t complain about their “selfishness”

:unamused: They WANT to do it otherwise they wouldn’t be ■■■■■■■ there would they! What’s the point of all this “oh, it’s oh so sad, you need to be there to understand” crap? They don’t WANT your help, you’ve already tried and they still go, so just ■■■■■■■ let them. They’ve made up their minds that this life isn’t for them and want a hand to end it all but haven’t got the guts so do the right thing and give them a push. That way everyone is happy, they’re out of it and everyone else can get on with their day. Too many touchy feely big girls’ blouses in the world these days :unamused: . MTFU.

Why did it take 6 hours to re-open the scene of the incident ? Take a few photos then it is all done.
Fatal accidents on the roads too, one was 9 hours shut with trapped traffic with cars with babies to feed.
One occasion ,motorists were sleeping in the Msa.
I knew a farmer that was obese.
He lost weight but was on the same dosage for anti depressants so he was having too much for his body weight.
He went hay making,and found hanging from baler twine in his tractor door.
Coroners verdict was accidental death.
Nobody will know if he fell out and got caught in the string or decided to kill himself.
He had financial problems and could not cope with a third child that he did not want.His father was an awkward man and did not help him out.

If they were making that decision with a sane mind, like an assisted suicide because of a debilitating illness then I would agree, but these people are not, they are normal people who have gone wonky and with the right treatment will get back to normal, so MTFU has nothing to do with it, I’m laughing at that part as that is the first time in my life anybody has ever told me that and I’m not mellowing with age, quite the opposite in fact :laughing:

Everyone knows of someone who has committed suicide, sometimes its someone who was living down the road from you, or the person who used to go in your local pub or pass you in the street etc, maybe it was a family member. In my case it was my niece recently took her own life, someone who battled depression for most of her life, but ultimately took the only was out she saw fit.
Its not nice if someone (anyone) dies, especially someone you know. But in the grand scheme of things if you get held up for several hours because of an suicide incident, so be it.
Its just part and parcel of the job we do, we know delays beyond our control can and do happen. So why get wound up about it, just chill out & let those who have to deal with the aftermath get on with it. IF like the OP you get delayed, then take it on the chin and park the truck up, or get the boss to arrange for someone to come and recover the truck. As I stated …unexpected delays are just part and parcel of the job we do