One for the tacho bods

would this be allowed? im not sure. on thursay the agency want me to start at 0530. drive up to birmingham. ( about 2 and a half hours) wait all day doing nothing then start driving back at about 1930 to finish at 22.00. i know this is way over a 15 hour day. but reading my tacho book it said a little bit about breaks not counting toward duty? is this true? if not then is it possible to start a reduced daily rest when i get there and have 9 hours on the bunk and then drive back? I would still be using the same tacho presumably? :unamused:

If you have a 9 hour reduced daily rest available then great - only 3 allowed between weekly rest periods.

After taking the reduced daily rest you will be starting a new 24 hour period.

If using analogue tacho then I would put a new one in but if it is not going to get anywhere near 24 hours from 0530 to when you actaully finish then I would be happy to use the same one.

Using one analogue disc for more than 24 hours is not allowed

If on digi - just leave it in and make sure correct mode is set for the daily rest.

If I’ve said any of this wrong then a GURU will quickly correct me

It is a simple day, say you book on at 05.15 leave at 05.30. drive to birmingham, park up, finished and booked off for 08.30, you may even be able to get an 11 hour break in before starting again at 19.30

You will use 2 cards for this obviously.

is it not one card for one 24 hr period? i might have to move the truck from one part of the nec to another during the day. how best to do this while on a daily rest? :confused:

joedwyer1:
i might have to move the truck from one part of the nec to another during the day. how best to do this while on a daily rest? :confused:

You can’t, not legally anyway. Either someone else moves it or you don’t get your rest in and the shift isn’t legal. If you have to be “on standby” to move the truck whenever they want to then you’re not available to freely dispose of your time and therefore it can’t count as a daily rest.

Paul

joedwyer1:
is it not one card for one 24 hr period?

Does not have to be - you cannot use 1 card for more than 24 hours

joedwyer1:
wait all day doing nothing then start driving back at about 1930

That is slightly different to your latest post.

yeah i know its slightly different but thats the gist of it. but im dropping off one set of equipment at the nec and picking up another set. it may well be in the same place i don’t know. i may get the rest in legally. i might have to get “some one else to move it” the half kilometre or so. i was just asking the best way of doing it so it all looks cosher.

Which agency is this? :laughing:

why do you want to know?

all i know is that between the agency and their client they couldn’t organise a ■■■■ up in a brewery and i just want to make sure i have all the bases covered because i don’t have a clue as to what their plan is if indeed they have even thought of one

joedwyer1:
would this be allowed? im not sure. on thursay the agency want me to start at 0530. drive up to birmingham. ( about 2 and a half hours) wait all day doing nothing then start driving back at about 1930 to finish at 22.00. i know this is way over a 15 hour day. but reading my tacho book it said a little bit about breaks not counting toward duty? is this true? if not then is it possible to start a reduced daily rest when i get there and have 9 hours on the bunk and then drive back? I would still be using the same tacho presumably? :unamused:

If you can get a nine hour rest period in whilst there you’ll be Ok and legal as long as you haven’t already had more than 2 reduced daily rest periods since your last weekly rest period.

The thing about breaks not counting towards working or duty time is correct but the point you appear to be missing is that the daily rest period has to be completed within 24 hours from the start of shift, this means that you will need to have completed a 9 or 11 hour rest by 05:30 Friday.

Your best plan would be to get onto the agency and tell them you need to know what’s happening on Thursday as you’re concerned that you won’t be able to have the required amount of rest :wink:

i get the part about needing a rest by 0530 on friday. but i should have said that ive got the day off on friday. what i was originally asking was more like. if breaks don’t count as duty time. then i wouldnt have to make sure i had a 9 or 11 hour rest during the day to be able to drive back at 20.00 that night

i will give them a call tachograph but i trust gurus like yourself to give me a better answer

joedwyer1:
i get the part about needing a rest by 0530 on friday. but i should have said that ive got the day off on friday. what i was originally asking was more like. if breaks don’t count as duty time. then i wouldnt have to make sure i had a 9 or 11 hour rest during the day to be able to drive back at 20.00 that night

i will give them a call tachograph but i trust gurus like yourself to give me a better answer

What he is saying is, If you start at 05.30 on Thursday, than by Friday at 05.30 you have only taken 7.30 hours rest regardless of you having Friday off or any other day as far as that goes.

The only legal way around it is for you to have a continuous break of at least 9 hours at the NEC or try to convince VOSA you were on the Bickenhill ferry. :wink:

The reason I asked about the agency, was that they should be well aware of the drivers hours regulations, but it is you who will get done, not them.

In the post to tachograph, who is also trying to keep you on the straight and narrow, you are confusing the definitions of breaks and rest periods.

joedwyer1:
i may get the rest in legally. i might have to get “some one else to move it” the half kilometre or so.

Which will mean you aren’t on rest, you cannot take rest in a moving vehicle, better ask them to get you digs for the day. :wink:

I know that seems pedantic but if you get a tug the movement during your rest period will stick out like a sore thumb and would lead to questions which could then possibly land you in the crap, that would be land you in the crap not the agency.

Can this be done legally? -

Driver has a good nights sleep so does not need to sleep in the day
Starts at 0530 and then goes onto REST at 0800 - finishes & removes tacho card
Spends the next 9 hours wandering around the local town etc
Returns to truck after 9+ hours and inserts new tacho card then drives back at 1930 finishing about 2200

The truck was moved whilst he was away from it by a shunter.

LEGAL ■■?

ive spoken to the agency and its like he can’t hear me say the bit in the book where it clearly states if a driver starts at 0600 on day one BY 0600 on day two he must have COMPLETED either an 11, 9 or split rest. he seems to think that i can just stick it on poa when i get there and drive back leaving at about 8 to return for about 10. he seems to think that all it means is i can’t start work ( if i got work) until 07.00 or so on friday :imp:

joedwyer1:
ive spoken to the agency and its like he can’t hear me say the bit in the book where it clearly states if a driver starts at 0600 on day one BY 0600 on day two he must have COMPLETED either an 11, 9 or split rest. he seems to think that i can just stick it on poa when i get there and drive back leaving at about 8 to return for about 10. he seems to think that all it means is i can’t start work ( if i got work) until 07.00 or so on friday :imp:

Well you makes your choice and takes your chance! Who would you rather listen to? some random drivers ottering on t’interweb or the Professional Driver Agency who pay your mortgage?

After all, the agencies have to be all above board don’t they?

joedwyer1:

Looks like a clue as to how agencies make their money, there are 25 hours in his day it seems.

it drives me mad. they have the cheek to give you a tacho test when you sign up! to which they clearly don’t have all the correct answers :imp: