One for the experts;

When can you drive a catagory you’ve just passed? I thought it was immediately and what the examiner said gave me that impression but my old man pointed out it says on the back (in the bit about if you keep your license) words to the effect that the past certificate isn’t a license and you cant drive the new catagory until you’ve got your actual license :confused: Anyone shead any light?

It doesn’t make much difference to me because the agencies wont send me on a class 1 job until they’ve seen my license (and coppied it I expect).

Why not phone the DSA? surley they would be able to shed light on the matter, then you would hopefully have piece of mind :smiley:

Sorry but the “Expert” is not posting any more :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: but I might be able to help

you poss can drive straight away but it is normal to wait till said licence is back for DVLA as if stopped you could produce it to prove & like the agency say they wont send you for Cat C+E till they have seen & copied you licence

Instructors and others say immediately although that part on the pass certificate about not being a full licence has always caused me to doubt whether it’s 100% legal. IIRC my first post on here was about this :slight_smile:

I could only hazard a guess that its the same sort of principle as the car licence.
The powers that could be could check that you have the catergory on your licence with the DVLA/DSA etc.

Ultimately though it shouldnt take long (yes im laughing as i write that sentence) whilst its away getting updated. Then your free and clear to provide the copies to the agency(s) and also when asked to do so.

2 hours after passing my C&E i was on my way to Harwich Docks to pick up a trailer. The pass certificate will allow you to drive

Like I said, I’m not all that bothered just want to know really.

But, say I got to work on friday and they said “arrrgggghhh bloody agencies - we needed a class 1 driver” I need to know if I’d be legal to say “now that you mention it…” lol. Been keeping my pass cert. with me just in case.

If you look at your pass certificate, it clearly states “This is not a license to drive” this in turn means you can not drive that class of vehicle until your license is returned.
Even though you may have passed the specified test, the catorgory has not been added to your license, therefor you are not entitled to drive it.
Hope this clears it up for you.

Sort of; that’s the second section down which is titled; if you keep your license (or to that effect)

The section above it which is about if you let the examiner sort it for you makes no mention of what you said.

Fair do’s though, probably better off not jumping in one just yet - hopefuly the dvla’ll get their finger out!

Just last week I was observing a driving test, I was sat in the coach as the driving instructor is able to join the candidate on test if the he/she requests and the examiner said to driver upon completing the paper work, that if they drive a coach in the next few weeks before their licence returns that they should carry with them the pass certificate in case they get asked to produce their licence.

Hope that clears it up.

Tockwith Training:
Just last week I was observing a driving test, I was sat in the coach as the driving instructor is able to join the candidate on test if the he/she requests and the examiner said to driver upon completing the paper work, that if they drive a coach in the next few weeks before their licence returns that they should carry with them the pass certificate in case they get asked to produce their licence.

Hope that clears it up.

What happened to the pink slip? :stuck_out_tongue:

But on a serious note, if you pass your test and are given a pass certificate, then that is the only one you have isn’t it? or is there a duplicate copy with it? To allow you to send the certificate to DVLA

W.N; I didn’t notice if there’s a duplicate or not but the examiner gives you the choice of keeping your license and sorting it yourself or he can sort it. I assume there’s a copy of some sort and guess the examiner does something online or over the phone to set your new license in motion.

Pass cert looks fairly easy to forge…

Wheel Nut:

Tockwith Training:

Hope that clears it up.

But on a serious note, if you pass your test and are given a pass certificate, then that is the only one you have isn’t it? or is there a duplicate copy with it? To allow you to send the certificate to DVLA

You dont send the certificate to the DVLA. I just handed my license over to the examiner and he sent it off, i walked away from the test center with my certificate and test report.

C-Kay:

Wheel Nut:

Tockwith Training:

Hope that clears it up.

You dont send the certificate to the DVLA. I just handed my license over to the examiner and he sent it off, i walked away from the test center with my certificate and test report.

Thanks for that, because us old ■■■■■ lived in a different era. (lick em and stick em.) The HGV licence was a small hard backed book, mine was brown, the earlier one was black. It made you feel a bit special to have that in your pocket, It was a status symbol.

I seem to remember the procedure was.

Thank you Mr. Wheel Nut, that concludes the test, and am pleased to tell you that you have passed. He then pulls out his pad of papers, signed it and sticks a new page over your old one. He then said something about being a professional driver with many more skills etc. “Please remember that in your chosen career you will have to allow for the inadequacies of the general public.”

I am sure I got my car licence from the local Council office in Beverley. it was much later when Swansea merged all the records.

Nurse my pills please!

I’m going to nickname you Grandad :laughing: :wink:

C-Kay:
I’m going to nickname you Grandad :laughing: :wink:

Hey you bloody whippersnapper it wasn’t that long ago… (Quick Google)

I want one :frowning:

Very pleased to have a blue cert right here :sunglasses:

The bit in question says “This is not a license to drive; you MUST exchange it for a license showing your full entitlement within two years of passing your test. If you do not do this then you will lose your right your right to claim entitlement to drive the category cover by this certificate.” Well you can’t lose what you don’t have so I’d say you have entitlement from the day you pass. Plus you’ll find all your other entitlements start from the day you passed the respective tests.

Biscuits:
Very pleased to have a blue cert right here :sunglasses:

The bit in question says “This is not a license to drive; you MUST exchange it for a license showing your full entitlement within two years of passing your test. If you do not do this then you will lose your right your right to claim entitlement to drive the category cover by this certificate.” Well you can’t lose what you don’t have so I’d say you have entitlement from the day you pass. Plus you’ll find all your other entitlements start from the day you passed the respective tests.

I would further back this up by checking the date of issue of the licence on the back of your card. You should find that the date for this will be the date that you passed the test for that particular class of vehicle. If this is the case, then surely you would be able to drive that class of vehicle straight away.

One other little thing is bothering me though. Why do they still keep the likes of the C on your licence when every moron knows (we don’t need the “experts” for this one!) that C+E automatically gives you C anyway the same way that an old Class 1 gave you Class 2 and Class 3?

C-Kay:
I want one :frowning:

If I had passed my HGV (actually still officially called this in those days!) in the late 1980s and had’nt moved house then I would still have one of these!

Probably all but a very small handful of them in circulation now.