One For Chester To Ponder Over

Good work by plod…
oxfordmail.co.uk/news/148412 … rd_police/

What’s to ponder over? Any responsible cyclist (me included) will applaud the initiative. They should impose the same penalties when they catch them on the phone texting while riding without any hands on the steering. Regards Kev.

Must of thought they were in City of London.

cityoflondon.police.uk/news … ckets.aspx

Chester wont comment on this. He wont show his face again till there is an anti hgv survey somewhere and he can throw his weight about on that. Like roaduser66, he picks and chooses what threads to start taking about legalities on

kevmac47:
What’s to ponder over? Any responsible cyclist (me included) will applaud the initiative. They should impose the same penalties when they catch them on the phone texting while riding without any hands on the steering. Regards Kev.

I wish the law could be changed to how it is in Germany; traffic offences committed on a bicycle in Germany attract points to your driving licence, yes I know not all cyclists have a driving licence, but something like 95% of cyclists also drive. A threat to their driving licence would have a dramatic effect on attitudes, and with 95% behaving themselves the other 5% would start to follow suit.

And since I retired I’m out on the bike 2 or 3 times a week.

That law wouldn’t work in Oxford. A lot of the daft cyclists are the scruffy swampy sort that live on rotting narrowboats near Wolvercote (when you pass over the A34 bridge between Pear Tree and Botley look down and you can see the ones I mean) and only come into the city centre to busk/beg or get more waccy baccy. Occasionally they might pilfer a bit of posh soap from Lush but they’re not qualified in using it.

Should do it in Hull

hulldailymail.co.uk/dash-cam … story.html

I like the idea put up by bluey circles about the Germans, but with an added bite. ‘here you are Sir/Madam, your fine and compulsory purchase of lights before you take the bike away’.

I would echo what over people have said
What is it exactly you would like me to ponder over?
A group of society put themselves in danger by cycling at night with no lights. Police stop, advise and then fine them.
I don’t see anything to ponder over, maybe one of you could shed some light on this for me■■?

My jounery to work involves a lot of twisty back roads, I’ve lost count the amount of times I’ve met a cyclist, clad in all black with no rear lights and if they are a bit posh a crappy torch duct-taped to the handle bars and these people work at the dock where you must have full PPE so that includes a full set of hi-viz’s!

Drove past the ice rink in Oxpens Road last night following a div with no lights at all on his bike - felt like shouting bell end at him :open_mouth:

chester:
I would echo what over people have said
What is it exactly you would like me to ponder over?
A group of society put themselves in danger by cycling at night with no lights. Police stop, advise and then fine them.
I don’t see anything to ponder over, maybe one of you could shed some light on this for me■■?

I think what he means is on your posts you always have an attitude that all cyclists are ‘holier than thou’ and this article just goes to show that they’re not.

What plod should do is team up with a cycling company Evans/Halfords etc and incorporate into the fee for the online course a set of lights as well.

m1cks:
I think what he means is on your posts you always have an attitude that all cyclists are ‘holier than thou’ and this article just goes to show that they’re not

I have never said or thought anything of the sort.
I have always maintained that idiots can ride bikes, or drive cars even LGVs

Come on guys, be fair to Chester, he isn’t pro-cycling per se. He just hates lorry drivers.

F-reds:
Come on guys, be fair to Chester, he isn’t pro-cycling per se. He just hates lorry drivers.

He’s also rather ‘special’, so I agree, cut the poor lad some slack.

Bluey Circles:
I wish the law could be changed to how it is in Germany; traffic offences committed on a bicycle in Germany attract points to your driving licence, yes I know not all cyclists have a driving licence, but something like 95% of cyclists also drive.

So if we go by these figures that 95% of cyclists drive.
Then it must be the the majority of cyclist who run red lights have driving entitlements so should in fact know better.
It’s motorists on bikes who are running red lights, who’d have thought.

chester:
It’s motorists on bikes who are running red lights, who’d have thought.

Not really.
Unless they are in a car they are not a motorist. If they are on a bike, they are a cyclist. Therefor its still cyclists on bikes running red lights. If anything it highlights the biggest problem and reason for doing it. No fear of getting caught. They dont do it in their vehicles because they can be traced but will do it on their bike because of lack of accountability.
Nice try though Chester, but a flat on your face fail yet again.

The-Snowman:
They dont do it in their vehicles because they can be traced but will do it on their bike because of lack of accountability.
Nice try though Chester, but a flat on your face fail yet again.

You must have forgotten about the 67,000 motorists that were caught running red lights in 2015 alone.

thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars … ealed.html

and how many would have ran the same red light if they could drive about in cars/trucks without any identifying markings or plates.

traffic2.jpg