One day national strike?

kr79:
Ive got a decent paying job with decent conditions and treated decently by my employer wby would i go on strike.

+1

MikeCunn:

ThrustMaster:
if you’re not happy with your lot, find yourself a better paying job.

I’m so [zb] sick of people saying variations of this. There are hardly any worthwhile jobs about, so how the [zb] do you go about finding a better paid job?

I’m very well paid at the moment but it’s only agency. The full time jobs all pay peanuts.

Could be argued the full time agency and self employed drivers screw it up. Saves employers offering decent terms and conditions.

Contraflow:

kr79:
Ive got a decent paying job with decent conditions and treated decently by my employer wby would i go on strike.

+1

…and that’s why a strike won’t work and things will still stay the same, so much for sticking together. Back to my well paid job too, but I would do it for the collective, regardless of my good fortune.

MikeCunn:

ThrustMaster:
if you’re not happy with your lot, find yourself a better paying job.

I’m so [zb] sick of people saying variations of this. There are hardly any worthwhile jobs about, so how the [zb] do you go about finding a better paid job?

I’m very well paid at the moment but it’s only agency. The full time jobs all pay peanuts.

And I’m so [zb] sick of the whining little maggots who think the world owes them a decent hourly rate!

ThrustMaster:
And I’m so [zb] sick of the whining little maggots who think the world owes them a decent hourly rate!

Nice, constructive argument.

Tbh the only way this would work is to convince operators not drivers as to the value of a strike. And as it seems a large amount of our gripes are against operators or some of them it sort of shoots itself in the foot.

We need one strong viable union that’s purely for drivers and has no operator/authority allegiance or interest to the extent where a link with either precludes membership. And IMHO needs to be completely free from the past history of unions I.e brand new start up.

BUT this has the detrimental effect of having no sway until a certain size membership. Surprisingly we have the basis/start for such membership here but I can well understand the reluctance of the site to get involved.

Tbh I don’t know why I’m even thinking this cos ill refer to the “pie in the sky” due to its accuracy.

MikeCunn:

ThrustMaster:

Nice, constructive argument.

You’re welcome.

:

Contraflow:

kr79:

+1

…and that’s why a strike won’t work and things will still stay the same, so much for sticking together. Back to my well paid job too, but I would do it for the collective, regardless of my good fortune.

That’s very commendable…

However, there is a reason why a lot of drivers are treated like monkeys and paid peanuts.

Can you guess what it is?

Contraflow:

:

Contraflow:

kr79:

+1

That’s very commendable…

However, there is a reason why a lot of drivers are treated like monkeys and paid peanuts.

Lots of reasons and I’m not likely to guess the right one, but enlighten me. Please.

I’m out, I don’t work for a transport firm per se :wink:

:

Contraflow:

:

Contraflow:

kr79:

+1

That’s very commendable…

Lots of reasons and I’m not likely to guess the right one, but enlighten me. Please.

The clue is in the word “peanuts”…

…and if you’re still struggling; the answer is in the word “monkey”.

The thing is its such a varied industury say we say a class 1 driver is worth £10 an hour a low loader driver will say if a box jockey is worth that i want £ 15 as his job is harder and its a viscous circle.

I think there should be industry standards regarding payment considered. Can’t think of amounts but along the lines that were just mentioned. I.e higher skilled/experienced roles paid higher rates under an industry regulation. And I don’t mean min wage legislation.

That ND ADR job on another thread is an example of what should legislated against. That’s a new starters wage for what in my opinion is at least a mid level driving job. Ok not brain surgery but a bit more nous than just having past your test and a few multiple choice exams to get an ADR ticket.

we are in a to divided country to do a national strike, if only the soap operas on tv would highlight the problem with all eastern euros, we got pluss the mountain of others, here, ■■■■ the uk aint the uk no more, its come and take the ■■■■ out of us ■■■■■■■■ uk, just keepin it real. :smiley:

Contraflow:
The clue is in the word “peanuts”…

…and if you’re still struggling; the answer is in the word “monkey”.

What about the vast majority of drivers that aren’t, “monkeys” but are still offered, “peanuts”?

We all know some drivers are morons who don’t deserve a scooter licence but most are competent and do a job that is a ■■■■ sight more responsible than stacking shelves, but are now being offered jobs paying less.

So we just doff our caps and thank the gov’nor for the pittance that they deem us worthy of?

Wages are in a race to the bottom and a surprising amount of drivers on here are happy with it. Drivers are living in a box for a week, missing their family and kids growing up, working 80 hours plus and taking home £500. Some see it as, ‘proper trucking’.

I’d rather work 8 or 9 hours per day and be home every night. Obviously that’s not going to happen in transport but a lot of drivers would rather stay tramping for peanuts even if they could work less and earn more.

You have hit the nail on the head to many see the bottom line and forget what it takes to get it.
My firm pay over 500 a week regularish hours not glamourous or bling motors but steady work but struggle for decent workers.

remember the fuel protests,i think it was the year 2000,but remember the look on tony blairs face on the front page of the nationals,really really worried,he knew the tanker drivers had him by the bxxxxxxs,so you can imagine what would happen if every trucker went on strike it would be like a chain reaction,if goods are not delivered contracts cannot be met,and if contracts cannot be met well it does not bear thinking about [WHOA! that was close a flying pig almost hit me] it will never happen[a strike i mean, come to think of it neither will the pig,LOL

Pre eastern euro invasion different times.

The contents and quality of some of the opinions expressed in this thread show precisely why the industry is the way it is I’m afraid.

all different rates ie owner drivers, agency, full time employees, human nature but become so far apart as were not united any more, besides the government which ever one would ban it viva la france they know how to do it…