One day national strike?

Isn’t it about time for a national one day strike/stoppage of all trucking operations to get Employers to Realise we are professional and we should be paid a better hourly rate, have better facilities on offer…etc …etc… Would it ■■ Could it Happen ■■?..unless we all make a stand i doubt it…what do you think?? is it possible, feasable…would YOU!! DO IT !! :unamused: :unamused:

So you think that striking will remind the country and our employers that we’re true professionals… :unamused:

Think you should go back to the drawing board.

they would love it , just think of the extra food and goods sold

For strikes to work they need to be co ordinated across different industries and indefinite.The idea of a one day stoppage in one seperate industry like road transport is a good way of throwing a day’s wages away and upsetting the guvnor for nothing.

Traditionally truckers have never come together on this so I propose one day in which they might all not work - 25th December :laughing:

Agencies mean that strikes among drivers - even every full timer in the country - would be entirely ineffective.

Now, I’ve never crossed a picketline in my life, since to do so goes against my principles.
I’m honest enough to admit to myself though that if I were offered £50ph to do a shift that involved crossing picket lines, I don’t see myself doing anything else other than “succumbing to temptation”. :smiley: :smiling_imp:

If agencies were to not offer extreme hourly rates to cover a general strike of drivers, then my judgement of course is entirely wrong.
I’m not wrong though - am I? :sunglasses:

Winseer:
Agencies mean that strikes among drivers - even every full timer in the country - would be entirely ineffective.

Now, I’ve never crossed a picketline in my life, since to do so goes against my principles.
I’m honest enough to admit to myself though that if I were offered £50ph to do a shift that involved crossing picket lines, I don’t see myself doing anything else other than “succumbing to temptation”. :smiley: :smiling_imp:

If agencies were to not offer extreme hourly rates to cover a general strike of drivers, then my judgement of course is entirely wrong.
I’m not wrong though - am I? :sunglasses:

In the case of a ‘real’ general strike it wouldn’t matter how many agency drivers crossed picket lines because everything else would stop in which case the lights would go out and shop fridges would stop working and the fuel supplies would be halted and the container ships wouldn’t be getting unloaded so nothing for the shops to sell even if they’ve got their own generator and fuel to put in it.While I’m sure that those scab agency drivers could be ‘persuaded’ to join in under those conditions too. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes I’D DO IT! :sunglasses: but the movement :sunglasses: countrywide would have to do it to! One day isn’t going to ACHIEVE nothing :smiley: it’s a week or two that would do the trick! :grimacing: :grimacing: we are only as strong as OUR WEAKEST LINK! :smiling_imp:

united we stand, divided we fall… simple…
we would need to be together as ONE…
it will NEVER happen.
and I’m an agency driver, in the same boat as some of the rest of you…
if only we had a bigger boat that we could all get into together. if only.

What did Churchill say…We can fight them on the beaches etc etc…never in a million years will the whole country come out on strike, and even bigger odds against the transport sector stopping for one day, let alone a week or two.
For this to happen, you will need everyone to belong to a union, and …oh forget it, its never going to happen…EVER!
When dear old Maggie was alive, and in power, she saw into the future, and said that Unions were her bugbear, so she basically disbanded them, took away all of their power, of course there are some unions still operating, but what do they actually do, apart from taking membership fees to fund their own lavish lifestyles, think back to the post office union, when strikers wanted a bit of help. they were told…Sorry ! theres no money in the pot, and quoting a friend of mine who was a shop steward, then was so interested in the Union movement, that he joined ranks, then as i met him one day, after not seeing him for years told me, its the best job ever, with everything being paid for ( by the mugs ) including all of his suits, car, all hotels with expenses, right down to his socks and pants, now that is where your subs go to, and he`s only one of them.

So just think carefully before you even mention the word Strike cos it is never going to happen, it did in my day, cos drivers were a different breed, jobs were 10 a penny, and everyone helped each other, so a chance to get back at the employers was an added bonus, and strikes was in everyones interest, not only that, but Woe be tide, anyone, who disobeyed.

NOPE my new guvnor gave me a 5 grand payrise 30 grand for 48 hrs :laughing: :laughing:

topmixer11:
NOPE my new guvnor gave me a 5 grand payrise 30 grand for 48 hrs :laughing: :laughing:

Not bad #628 an hour :wink:

It will NEVER happen. WE are our worst enemy. :open_mouth:

Ive got a decent paying job with decent conditions and treated decently by my employer wby would i go on strike.

Good luck with that
When the tanker drivers came out certain firms gave assurences that their tanker drivers would cross picket lines to collect fleet diesel.

The working men of this country lost their chance when the miners came out
Had everyone came out in support they might have got something out of it.

Now two many firms and drivers happy to scoop up the work.

Read the Tesco Doncaster thread lads were posting how chuffed they were to be earning big due to the striking drivers.

It’s a romantic notion, but if the point needs to be made then I would, agency or not!

gazooks:
Isn’t it about time for a national one day strike/stoppage of all trucking operations to get Employers to Realise we are professional and we should be paid a better hourly rate,

Although salaried my ‘hourly rate’ is over £12ph, why should I strike and put my job on the line for someone else. Yes, I’m alright jack thank you very much for asking but if you’re not happy with your lot, find yourself a better paying job.

Nobody wins in a strike. Its a case of who loses more.
King Arthur had a year-long strike. All he succeeded in doing was accelerate the pit closures.
Every time the railways went on strike, traffic was lost.
What will happen?
Answer: Brit drivers out of work EU migrants getting the jobs or even Mainland EU firms winning UK contracts

ThrustMaster:
if you’re not happy with your lot, find yourself a better paying job.

I’m so ■■■■■■■ sick of people saying variations of this. There are hardly any worthwhile jobs about, so how the ■■■■ do you go about finding a better paid job?

I’m very well paid at the moment but it’s only agency. The full time jobs all pay peanuts.