On the Spot Fines

does anyone have a list of what the fines will be for on teh spot fines that are now supposedly being issued by VOSA? Do we, being UK residents, get the option of paying the fine there and then or is it a case of waiting for it to go to court/TC hearing (or whatever its called)?

the boss of a company i have just worked for has asked if i know and i didnt but i said i would try to find out for him as he is a nice bloke, not that he intends to get any, he is so ■■■■ about tacho’s it is unbelieveable, but then again it is his job!

what are the likely out comes of things such as

over 4.5 hours by say 30 minutes?
overweight?
loss of load?
not enough weekly rest?

those sort of things?

has vosa published anything like a list/spreadsheet of them all or is it a closely guarded secret?

one last question…are all the fines equal across europe or is it a case of pot luck with the authorities when in euroland compared to ours?

I’ve seen that penalty list so it must be on the internet but unless the driver has not got a UK address it will not be an on-the-spot fine - I remember reading that.

It would be much better if there were some, good, honest, corrupt, none law abiding, vosa men about.
It would top up their wages, and keep us from Beverley bell’s door.

i knew you would say something like that Phil… :open_mouth:

you are right though… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This VOSA link gives more info:
vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/reposit … =4a05135f6

“These tough new measures will kick in
if enforcement officers find drivers guilty
of vehicle defects or other offences such
as exceeding the drivers’ hours limits or
overloading. In many instances, drivers will
be offered the opportunity to pay a Fixed
Penalty charge rather than attending court.
But responsibility for your vehicle rests
ultimately with you, so you may collect
penalty points on your driving licence as
well as incurring financial penalties.”

Here is the list

Also explanatory memorandum here Legislation.gov.uk

seen it at our place, if you do not have a fixed uk adress a £900 deposit is required. Fixed penalty’s are the same as the police have been issuing, you get the notice then a set time to pay it or elect to go to court, but if you fail in court 50% is added to the FPN.

some of the others where:

failure to produce records or prints - £200
failing to fill in centre of tacho sheet - £30
failing to enter times on digi or sheet - £120
exceeding 10 hours driving - £60 upto £200 or court
going over 90 hours for a fortnight - same as above, 94hrs means £200
4.5 hours rest offences 15 minutes is 30 quid upto 200 quid per offence
tyres below 1mm - £120 each

If it was something that got you took to court before, it would be the same as before

wow,thats just shook me up.that is very interesting reading and very i think harsh for going over your time by minutes.i know rules are rules but i would have like to have seen a 10 minute overlap,as that is not the same as fizbee tachos and the likes.

We got a list at work the other day,I’ll copy it on monday and either post it here,if I can work out how to that is,or I’ll email it to you.
Simon :sunglasses:

thegeordie:
We got a list at work the other day,I’ll copy it on monday and either post it here,if I can work out how to that is,or I’ll email it to you.
Simon :sunglasses:

cheers for that simon,

thats a couple of beers i owe you now, i hope you never get a thirst on, it’ll cost me a fortune

Giblsa:
does anyone have a list of what the fines will be for on teh spot fines that are now supposedly being issued by VOSA? Do we, being UK residents, get the option of paying the fine there and then or is it a case of waiting for it to go to court/TC hearing (or whatever its called)?

the boss of a company i have just worked for has asked if i know and i didnt but i said i would try to find out for him as he is a nice bloke, not that he intends to get any, he is so ■■■■ about tacho’s it is unbelieveable, but then again it is his job!

overweight?
loss of load?
not enough weekly rest?

those sort of things?

has vosa published anything like a list/spreadsheet of them all or is it a closely guarded secret?

one last question…are all the fines equal across europe or is it a case of pot luck with the authorities when in euroland compared to ours?

Wont affect many on here as they are sooooo perfect…

Goody nothing about trailer plates or bulbs…

OK OK, I know, only had 3 hours kip since I got in this morning, off to bed…Taxi!!

Coddy:

Giblsa:

overweight?
loss of load?
not enough weekly rest?

those sort of things?

Wont affect many on here as they are sooooo perfect…

Gonna be going on about this for days or weeks aint you■■? The rest of us have already moved on from this :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OK OK, I know, only had 3 hours kip since I got in this morning, off to bed…Taxi!!

limeyphil:
It would be much better if there were some, good, honest, corrupt, none law abiding, vosa men about.
It would top up their wages, and keep us from Beverley bell’s door.

Phil, have you considered moving to Thailand? I think you would get on very well with the BiB there (Boys in Brown). 200 baht,(£4) usually expediently sorts out an alleged speeding issue :laughing:

Busby, where did you find that list please? I want to print it.

Driveroneuk:
Busby, where did you find that list please? I want to print it.

There are 2 pages

Thanks 4 that. Hmmm, have to reassess that… it wants to print it over 15 pages!!!

I could,nt see anything on there about the size of the fine for carrying an armoury in the cab. That,ll be a relief for our resident Beverley Bell fan, Limeyphil. :laughing: :laughing:

i think the fines are quite reasonable. in fact laughable would be a better word.
normally you would have gone to court, which for me if it’s mid week, then i’d probably need the full week off. hence a loss of £587.00.
Then i’d plead not guilty of course, Which would need a trial date to be set, Therefore it could be another week off. loss £587.00.
Even if i had to take just the 2 days off, Then it would still be more cost effective to pay a fixed penalty. guilty or not, it’s too cheap to bother with court.
although back handers would be much better. They can’t complain if you give them a dodgy twenty :wink: .

What i do think is unfair about the fines, Is there is no “chain of resposibility”, which is in place in Australia.
This would be a great help to those who do container work and have no idea about the weight distribution of there box.
Then there is the RDC work, when you’re still on the bay after your 15 hour spread is up, but you’ve still got to leave eventually.
Or what if you’ve just had your truck serviced, but they find a serious fault. Well you get done, not the company that carried out the service.

Compared to the fines/deposits handed out in France and Spain these days, these look positively cheap!

For example, I was done 650 Euros a couple of months ago in Pamplona for being 30mm (about an inch) over length. Hardly a serious offence, but bloody expensive.

Coddy:

Giblsa:

AFAIK although not mentioned in the above list (which I don’t believe is definitive) bulbs ‘could’ still equate to an FPN as in the case of an inoperative headlight or rear positioning light during dark this would normally equate to an immediate prohibition of the tractor/trailer. What has to be remembered though is even though FPN’s have been brought in, it does not necessarily mean you will alway get one. The issuing of them remains at the examiners discretion, and I for one would only rarely be issuing them for bulbs and other minor defects if it was something that the driver had clearly ignored and decided to carry on driving regardless.