On the Spot Fines

Good thread, Gibsla. :sunglasses:

Many thanks to the guys who posted the links - they make for interesting reading.

It looks like another form of stealth tax! :open_mouth: :unamused:

And now Iā€™m slurring my typingā€¦ :blush: :unamused:

Sorry, Giblsa! :smiley:

Remember people if your unlucky enough to get one of these fines because your membership lapsed to the IHTY brigade, of which their isnā€™t many on here is there!!!

A new credit card has been bought out to mark the occasions.

The VOSA card

You get

0% on balance transfers for 3 seconds.

0% on all purchases for 3 minutes.

Typical APR is 1000.54%

Collect Nectar points : 1 point per Ā£15000 in fines.

You new credit card will be given to you at your next wheel tap tap. :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: .

Coat, Hat TAXI :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

And donā€™t forget the points on your licence for endorsable offences; normally those fines of Ā£60 or more will be endorsable!! :cry:

You can elect to go to court on any, but you cannot demand a FPN! :angry:

The good news is they can only ā€˜do youā€™ for a maximum of 3 offences at one stop, but if they go to your employer and find infringements there associated with the previous 28 days, they can give you a FPN for that too!! :smiling_imp:

Itā€™s nice to know that no new law is in here apart from immobilisation; they are just changing to FPNā€™s rather than overloading the courts!! :unamused:

Just a couple of corrections;

Offences are only ā€˜endorsableā€™ (points gathering) when they involve brakes (vehicle not drivers hours :smiley: ), tyres or steering or ā€˜use vehicle in dangerous condition.ā€™

If you commit more than three offences then it is an automatic trip to Court.

Not sure about offences detected retrospectively at operators premises, will let you know on Friday after my course.

geebee45:

Offences are only ā€˜endorsableā€™ (points gathering) when they involve brakes (vehicle not drivers hours :smiley: ), tyres or steering or ā€˜use vehicle in dangerous condition.ā€™

Not sure about offences detected retrospectively at operators premises, will let you know on Friday after my course.

what course you doing? wheel tappers?

Giblsa:

geebee45:

what course you doing? wheel tappers?

yes - he then trains other TEOā€™s in house (i think - but dont quote me).

pecjam23:
Remember people if your unlucky enough to get one of these fines because your membership lapsed to the IHTY brigade, of which their isnā€™t many on here is there!!!

The VOSA card

You get

Typical APR is 1000.54%

You new credit card will be given to you at your next wheel tap tap. :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: .

pecjam,you are absolute quality mate,thats cracked me up. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
on a more serious note,can we claim spot fines back off the goverment under"working away/2nd home expenses"ā– ā– 

buck73:

pecjam23:

The VOSA card

You get

Typical APR is 1000.54%

pecjam,you are absolute quality mate,thats cracked me up. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
on a more serious note,can we claim spot fines back off the goverment under"working away/2nd home expenses"ā– ā– 

Yes so long as itā€™s ā€œwithin the spirt of the rulesā€ :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Drivers with Licences issued in Northern Ireland are liable to an on the spot fine. Even though the Licence is a Full UK drivers licence the driver is liable as the database for Northern Ireland issued licences is not accessible to the GB authorities.

The RHA is talking to the DFT to see if this can be corrected.

The advice given by the RHA to Northern Ireland drivers in the Bean is to carry a recent utility bill, bank statement etc. to prove proof of residence.

Breaker One-Nine:
The advice given by the RHA to Northern Ireland drivers in the Bean is to carry a recent utility bill, bank statement etc. to prove proof of residence.

I would advise ALL drivers irrespctive of nationality to follow this piece of advice, and ensure the recent utility bill/bank statement etc is no less than 12 weeks old as if the VOSA examiner is in any doubt at all about the address a driver gives then the examiner is fully within their powers to issue on the spot fines and court deposits (upto Ā£900). Consequently if the driver fails to pay these then the examiner can also immobilise the unit AND the trailer! :open_mouth:

PO Box addresses, business addresses, hotels, b&bā€™s, basically anything other than a verified residential address will simply not cut the mustard.

geebee45:

As we approach the final phase of a new era of widespread take up of issuing fixed penalty notices targetted to people specifically labled ā€˜driveā€™ who happen to go 3 seconds over their driving time :open_mouth: :confused: are you able to let slip to us any additional information about these new FPNā€™s that we may not already know :question: e.g. info the truckers arent meant to know and is meant to be classified :wink: :open_mouth: :laughing: (iā€™m joking :laughing: :confused: :grimacing: ) that you learnt on your course :question: :question: :smiley:

cheers

James
:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Actually Pecjam I didnā€™t get to the course 'cos other things happened. However, can confirm that at the moment events that happened ā€˜in the past;ā€™ like insufficient daily rest two weeks last Thursday cannot be dealt with by FPN or GFPD. The offence has to be ā€˜Prohibitable;ā€™ in other words; certain vehicle defects, overloads or drivers hours / records that are ā€˜happeningā€™ at the time of the check. An example; last night to this morning you only had 8 hours daily rest, that is prohibitable therefore you will be having however many hours off and be issued with a FPN (UK address holders) of Ā£ 60. Fail to produce records (the most frequent Prohibition last year) will be a Prohibition and Ā£ 200.

Events that happened in the past will be subject to FPN or GFPD when Parliment gets around to passing the required legislation. Donā€™t askā€¦when?

geebee45:
Actually Pecjam I didnā€™t get to the course 'cos other things happened. However, can confirm that at the moment events that happened ā€˜in the past;ā€™ like insufficient daily rest two weeks last Thursday cannot be dealt with by FPN or GFPD. The offence has to be ā€˜Prohibitable;ā€™ in other words; certain vehicle defects, overloads or drivers hours / records that are ā€˜happeningā€™ at the time of the check. An example; last night to this morning you only had 8 hours daily rest, that is prohibitable therefore you will be having however many hours off and be issued with a FPN (UK address holders) of Ā£ 60. Fail to produce records (the most frequent Prohibition last year) will be a Prohibition and Ā£ 200.

Events that happened in the past will be subject to FPN or GFPD when Parliment gets around to passing the required legislation. Donā€™t askā€¦when?

thanks geebee45 :smiley:

found out today we got drivers meeting tomorrow about these new FPNā€™s, will be interesting to see if learn anything new that i dont know already having read it on TNUK :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A friend of mine and the missus is a woman in her 50ā€™s. Sheā€™s quite small and the wouldnā€™t say boo to a goose type. Well actually i donā€™t know that for a fact as i never asked her !! Anyway, i think the only time she has spoken to a copper is to ask directions. You get the idea. She got stopped about a fortnight ago in Liverpool for going though a red light. A copper pulled her up, and she had to get in the back of his car. He told her off for going through a red light and when she said ā€˜what red light?ā€™ he told her he had a good mind to do her for driving without due care and attention for not noticing etcā€¦ She was very upset , as everyone one is when theyā€™ve just been done! and off she goes home. When she scrutinises the ticket she got it actually is a fixed penalty for using a mobile phone whilst driving. This is hand written on the ticket TWICE along with the appropriate code for the offence.
Well she contacted the police and the ticket office the next day, she complained about being intimidated by the copper etcā€¦and the fact she had been pulled for going though a red light but had a ticket for using a mobile phone she didnā€™t have !! Upshot is the copper contacted her, by letter, and expresssed his dissapointment at her claim of intimidation, and , due to his ā€˜administrative errorā€™ the issue would not be pursued further !!!
My tip is, always pay on your credit card, then you can get it back if they got it wrong !! You couldnā€™t make this stuff up eh!?

My tip is: pay attention to your driving & donā€™t drive through red lights, thereby avoiding the confrontation in the 1st place.