On the brakes down hill

see it more and more even the tipper men,you catch up the truck in front out he goes lane two to over take the truck in front and as soon as he does rides the brake because he his now going over 56mph shock of shocks,they pair off them both dab the brakes all the way down the hill to the level and then take the next 3 or 4 miles to pass each other,am a to old to remember the days of 100k per hour as the norm before the limiter and never had a blow out or am i a grumpy old man now all washed up at 43,and another thing while getting things off ma chest with ma vodka in hand,whats the idea of 2 sat navs in window the size of a flat screen tv both on at the same time :question: am off now for another vodi and bag o crisps hard hat at the the ready chap on with the insults :smiley:

neverhome73:
see it more and more even the tipper men…

Not real tipper men.

Contraflow:

neverhome73:
see it more and more even the tipper men…

Not real tipper men.

+1 i don’t brake :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

:laughing: thats what i thought even seen 8 wheelers at it :open_mouth:

Scotch booster down hill… f*****g cissy’s.

Tipper driver braking to prevent overspeed :open_mouth:

Nah impossible, they might hold her back a bit when the speedo needle starts to bend at the end of its travel, but that’s about it.
Not criticising, done my share of bulk stuff at hell driver pace back a few years, at 100k’s you were starting to think about putting her in top :wink:

Never brake ,only Jake .

May not actually be braking. If I exceed 90k’s on the overrun the exhaust brake automatically kicks in, sometimes I can hear the relay click as it activates the brake lights.

Get about 20 overspeeds a day, a fair few at 100kms at least.

I tend to try to reel it in around 96kms but my Scania doesn’t have a retarder so it usually slips past.

Oops.

A.

Probably worried about registering an overspeed on the tacho or microlise, and losing their golden boy status… :grimacing:

the maoster:
May not actually be braking. If I exceed 90k’s on the overrun the exhaust brake automatically kicks in, sometimes I can hear the relay click as it activates the brake lights.

^This, most modern trucks (maybe even all) activate the brake lights when the retarder/exhaust brake kicks in which on nigh on all modern motors will kick in if you have the CC set as it tries to maintain your set CC speed.

And when did “my” become “ma”? Basta’disation of the English language is expected of a snotty nosed teenager but a 43yr old!, 'ave a word wi ya sen :laughing:

the nodding donkey:
Probably worried about registering an overspeed on the tacho or microlise, and losing their golden boy status… :grimacing:

How did you know? :open_mouth:
We have a points system of infringements where once you hit 12, you may be required to do some additional training…
Not a problem for me, as while are Renaults will do 56, I then choose to drive it at 52 so the chocolate retarder then has half a chance of holding me under 56. The job then takes longer and I get paid a little more, thanks very much! :smiley:

The hardest bit is the shame that a Tesco truck sometimes overtakes me… :blush:

Firstly it’s doubtful that anyone of 43 would have been driving trucks much before the early/mid 1990’s which is when limiters were phased in. :confused:

While the advantage of not having limiters was mostly about a better speed regime on the flat,such as when overtaking or getting a ‘run’ at hills.While unnecessary use of brakes or silly speeds going down hills was never the correct way to drive a heavy truck then or now.Down grades are all about being in the correct gear to maintain a suitable speed for the conditions with minimal,if any,use of brakes.On that note anyone with any sense pre limiters would generally have been driving slower down hills than on the flat. :bulb:

Reef:

the maoster:

^This, most modern trucks (maybe even all) activate the brake lights when the retarder/exhaust brake kicks in which on nigh on all modern motors will kick in if you have the CC set as it tries to maintain your set CC speed.

If it’s an Iveco, touch the throttle and the brake cancels, leaving you free to arrive in Overspeed City. Then pop it into Semi, down-shift to 11 at 60mph when you’re on the slow-down on the next hill and keep 'er lit. Oh and take the A361 to Rugby 'cos it’s quicker than the A5. Apart from when you meet a P&O 'tainer, 'cos 'e 'ain’t gonna give an inch.
Words of advice from the guy who retired two weeks after I got this job.
Good luck Clive, wherever you are…

Carryfast:
Firstly it’s doubtful that anyone of 43 would have been driving trucks much before the early/mid 1990’s which is when limiters were phased in. :confused:

While the advantage of not having limiters was mostly about a better speed regime on the flat,such as when overtaking or getting a ‘run’ at hills.While unnecessary use of brakes or silly speeds going down hills was never the correct way to drive a heavy truck then or now.Down grades are all about being in the correct gear to maintain a suitable speed for the conditions with minimal,if any,use of brakes.On that note anyone with any sense pre limiters would generally have been driving slower down hills than on the flat. :bulb:

Going downhill slower than on the flat,!!! no way, it was where you made up time and get up the next hill, let it roll.

Dieseldog66:

Carryfast:

Going downhill slower than on the flat,!!! no way, it was where you made up time and get up the next hill, let it roll.

Yep fuel economy mode too, half way up the next hill on momentum alone and still in top unless its a Shap type climb.

Dieseldog66:

Carryfast:

I did say anyone with any sense. :smiling_imp: :laughing: On that note it’s a heavy truck it will roll up to silly speeds and/or the momentum can create numerous hazards such as even just being to much for the brakes to cope with if you need to make an emergency stop,if it’s left to it’s own devices without being held back.

On that note I never drove any truck down hill faster than I drove it on the flat either pre or post limiters.But ‘especially’ pre limiters. :smiling_imp: :wink:

Juddian:
Yep fuel economy mode too, half way up the next hill on momentum alone and still in top unless its a Shap type climb.

Nope.I used more or less the same rule of never going down a hill in a gear higher than you’d use to climb it whether going down the bank into Dewsbury or the hills on the M1 there and back or Membury on the M4. :wink:

my 1st artic at 21yrs young was B reg erf with gardiner engine no need for a speed limiter on that thing,limiters came in january 1988 and were set at 60 i think correct me if am wrong am sure you will :wink:and again the max speed for a hgv on the motorway has never change from 60mph,and is eco roll not just a fancy way to say aberdeen overdrive,just seems a bit daft do do a over take down hill on a truck and be on the brakes while doing it just let it go and over take job done :slight_smile:

Carryfast:

Juddian:

Nope.I used more or less the same rule of never going down a hill in a gear higher than you’d use to climb it whether going down the bank into Dewsbury or the hills on the M1 there and back or Membury on the M4. :wink:

Seeing as it’s a while since you’ve driven, so trucks weren’t what they are today, you must’ve stripped some cogs going down Reigate. The trucks of yesteryear struggled to go up it any higher than 8th :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue: