On the brakes down hill

OVLOV JAY:

Carryfast:

Juddian:
Yep fuel economy mode too, half way up the next hill on momentum alone and still in top unless its a Shap type climb.

Nope.I used more or less the same rule of never going down a hill in a gear higher than you’d use to climb it whether going down the bank into Dewsbury or the hills on the M1 there and back or Membury on the M4. :wink:

Seeing as it’s a while since you’ve driven, so trucks weren’t what they are today, you must’ve stripped some cogs going down Reigate. The trucks of yesteryear struggled to go up it any higher than 8th :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:

The majority of my journeys on the M25 version of ‘Reigate Hill’ were at best done with either a Clydesdale with a 6 speed box or Foden with a 9 speed box ( 8 + crawler ).Then later doing Feltham-Harrietsham with an old DAF 2300 with an 8 speed box or later East Hoathly with a DAF 85 with a 16 speed box.In none of those cases did I ever use ‘8 th’ gear to climb it or to go down it. :wink:

Equally/More annoying are those who overtake you on the over-run, pull in front of you, and then brake so avoiding getting an “over-speed”. I can`t be their only victim.