Oliver Hart and Sons

Found this one on flickr(hope they dont mind)
Oliver Hart.jpg

Wow great pic mate,that’s a very rare Homalloy cab Octopus.

That’s the first that I’ve seen in the UK on a Leyland,I’ve seen a very similar cab on an Albion.

There were about 15 of those cabs fitted to ‘Mouth Organ’ cab Beaver’s and Hippo’s here in NZ in the very early 60’s.

Thanks

Stanfield:
Found this one on flickr(hope they dont mind)0

Picture taken in Wapping, Liverpool I think you’ll find.

David :astonished:

Hiya…in the photo of the 8 legger dodge (the photo with only the rear wards of the cab.
what was the idea of that type of wheel on the second steer. i mean it was flat with no nave.or all nave.
adams butter had about 6 albions with that type of wheel on the front axle. was it to widen the track■■?
but then OH has’nt put the type of wheel on the front axle of the dodge.
was that type of wheel used on 4 inline trailers■■?
i remember seeing OH lorries many times BUT have never seen that homaloy cab before.
cheers John

windrush:
As has been said Oliver Hart was a Speedway rider and possibly the last to use the old “Leg trailing” style of riding dating back to the '40’s and earlier, very spectacular to watch! He also used modified Sentinels along with other coal haulers in what became known as COAL DELIVERIES, which included ROLLON TRANSPORT (Ron Clark, speedway rider) from Derby, FLETCHER’S of IBSTOCK and LITTLE HAYWOOD TRANSPORT at Burton on Trent. They were absorbed into R.E. MASON (Ron Mason, another speedway rider) in the 60’s.

Pete.

my dad use to drive for ron clarke in 70s rollon transport little eaton

has anyone got any info and photos of rollons transport owner ron Clark speedway rider ,thanks ,not sure if oliver hart had a share in the haulage part ? found these :smiley:

The comedian Bernard Breslau in an Oliver Hart Scammell. Does anyone know which film that scene is in? (Today’s trivia question) :confused:

gingerfold:
The comedian Bernard Breslau in an Oliver Hart Scammell. Does anyone know which film that scene is in? (Today’s trivia question) :confused:

Spring and Port Wine filmed in and around Bolton.

Ok then, who was the very attractive young actress he was ogling in the car? (Today’s second trivia question) :wink:

gingerfold:
Ok then, who was the very attractive young actress he was ogling in the car? (Today’s second trivia question) :wink:

Susan George and Adrienne Posta were both in the film was it one of them?

It was either Hanna Gordon or Susan George.

georgesapwf165.jpg
Been an age since i watched the film must get to watch it again sometime, some great old street shots of Bolton.

titlecard.jpg

It was Susan George, I think, I’ll have to watch the film again, I have it on DVD (it’s still available from Amazon). Like you say, some great shots of Bolton as it was before the council destroyed the town. Some great shots of Hannah Gordon and Susan George as well, two stunners back in the day.

denno1234:
has anyone got any info and photos of rollons transport owner ron Clark speedway rider ,thanks ,not sure if oliver hart had a share in the haulage part ? found these :smiley:

I live in Coppull, and I was told by a relative of Oliver,that the Leyland Beaver artic tipper was built by Harts themselves from an export ckd kit from Leyland as they would not supply a built up one.They also told me that it was one of the first artic tippers in the country where due to C&U regs they were looking to increase the weight they could carry!.
When finished it went to Rollon in Derby where Oliver junior worked with Ron Clark.

here’s a scan from part of an old CVC magazine

anyone know any more about Oliver Hart and Sons?

Looks like they modified / built/ converted lots of wagons?

Used to see Oliver Hard bulk tippers running up from South Wales, in the sixties and seventies, carrying coal from the Welsh coalfields.

Yeah, remember reading about that, think they used to put different cabs and such like on old motors to make them look bigger spec. thus carry more. I think the new C&U Regs put a stop to all that, was it about 1965? By the way Oliver hart was another ex Speedway rider in the transport industry.

As has been said Oliver Hart was a Speedway rider and possibly the last to use the old “Leg trailing” style of riding dating back to the '40’s and earlier, very spectacular to watch! He also used modified Sentinels along with other coal haulers in what became known as COAL DELIVERIES, which included ROLLON TRANSPORT (Ron Clark, speedway rider) from Derby, FLETCHER’S of IBSTOCK and LITTLE HAYWOOD TRANSPORT at Burton on Trent. They were absorbed into R.E. MASON (Ron Mason, another speedway rider) in the 60’s.

Pete.

A little off topic I know but there seems to have been a few Speedway riders gone into the transport industry over the years. Jimmy Squibb (Southampton) and Bob Kilby (Swindon) have already been mentioned in other threads on here but also Johnny Reason (Cov.) Ray Wilson (Leics.) Jack Kitchen (Yorks.) Wayne Briggs (Edinburgh) Dave Parry (Coaches, West Mids.) Ashley Pullen (Oxford) and Ove Fundin (somewhere in Sweden!) are just a few more. Not wishing to hi jack this thread but have waited some time in case of replies and as there were none thought it might get it spotted again for comments on topic. :wink:

fryske:
here’s a scan from part of an old CVC magazine

anyone know any more about Oliver Hart and Sons?

Looks like they modified / built/ converted lots of wagons?

Hi fryske
Take a look at moomoolands web site NORTHWEST TRUCKS it has a full page dedicated to Oliver Harts with plenty of photos too.