Oliver Hart and Sons

G’day,
I found another artice on OH from 1985. I always found this artice facinating,great looking hard worked trucks. Note the F86 behind the Bristol cabed 8x4,imagine the difference in driving these two. I bet their workshops were an interesting place to work.

Cheers Jamie

great update – many thanks for that

Oliver Hart-- SCAMMELL.

G’day,nice old cheese grater Scammell there mate.
Here’s a much later OH motor,I’d like to see the old maggie in colour. This pic was posted on bubb’s scrap book thread a while ago.

BigG-Unit:
A little off topic I know but there seems to have been a few Speedway riders gone into the transport industry over the years. Jimmy Squibb (Southampton) and Bob Kilby (Swindon) have already been mentioned in other threads on here but also Johnny Reason (Cov.) Ray Wilson (Leics.) Jack Kitchen (Yorks.) Wayne Briggs (Edinburgh) Dave Parry (Coaches, West Mids.) Ashley Pullen (Oxford) and Ove Fundin (somewhere in Sweden!) are just a few more. Not wishing to hi jack this thread but have waited some time in case of replies and as there were none thought it might get it spotted again for comments on topic. :wink:

It is very interesting to me too that the transport industry supplied so many household names, even the tenuous links on other threads such as Les Pottinger of LP Transport and promotor of Cradley Heath Speedway, and Eric Prime who ran a successful transport business in Hull and was the father of Chris Prime(Newcastle). We even have Coca Cola Kid on here who rode competitive speedway and his nephew is Simon Stead (Swindon).

sheffield-tigers.co.uk/atoz.html#select

A brilliant link to Sheffield Tigers archives shows that Jack Kitchen died in 1990

Nice memories of the Oliver Hart lorries by the way :stuck_out_tongue:

After the demise of fotopic it looks like Pikfu is also dead in the water so i will just concentrate on my two dedicated web sites of W & J Riding and Edward Beck.
Links below

Regards Paul

Hi Wheel Nut : Like the Sheffield Tigers link. Also mentioned Tony Robinson’s haulage links and I seem to remember something about Bob Paulson’s family being in haulage as well. A point of interest to me was it saying Ron Clarke was born in Oxford, as I always assumed he was from the Yorkshire area. Thing is, I was from Oxford and my brother in law always said Ron was his uncle (mother’s brother) so I assumed she was from the north! But maybe not, if they have got that right, though I did spot one or two other errors!! :confused:

I seem to recall a bad accident with one of Harts 8 wheelers running out of control down Everton Valley in Liverpool and ending up buried in a building at the bottom, about 1959? I saw the carnage on my way home from school.

Anyone recall this?

Here’s Oliver Harts Maggi when it was brand new at TipCon 1979
transportphoto.com/road/photos

Oliver Hart & Sons Magirus Deutz ORN264T taken 1979.jpg

dashman:
I seem to recall a bad accident with one of Harts 8 wheelers running out of control down Everton Valley in Liverpool and ending up buried in a building at the bottom, about 1959? I saw the carnage on my way home from school.

Anyone recall this?

dad would recall that me thinks he worked for harts around that time but sadly no longer with us