Old timers question

How old or how much experience do you need to be classified as an “old timer” I like to think at 51 I’m not there yet but must be getting close.

bald bloke:
How old or how much experience do you need to be classified as an “old timer” I like to think at 51 I’m not there yet but must be getting close.

51? Who are you trying to kid mate, you’re well over. :laughing:

I don’t think of old timers in lorry world, but there is definately an old school attitude.

Old school is a frame of mind, it covers things like taking a pride in your work and being a professional as much as you can be these days, and appreciating and looking after the job you have if its a good 'un.
I haven’t found age nor time on the job to be particularly influencial in this, i’ve worked with and still do new and younger drivers who are old school drivers at heart and i’ve worked with and still do old lags who’ve been doing the job for a lifetime and take no pride nor care a jot about the job and will never be old school lorry drivers as long as they have a hole in their arse, just as some of the young and middle aged won’t either.

robroy:

bald bloke:

51? Who are you trying to kid mate, you’re well over. :laughing:

I’m trying to convince myself I’m not, I reckon it’s 30 yrs experience and 55 plus .

Lol , drove someone’s lorry this week who panicked and said you need to be over 30 for the insurance , I said iam 40 next !

I am 51…in my mind I’m a young gun, to my friends I’m gently middle aged, to most of my (younger) workmates I’m getting on a bit, to my family I’n in a bath chair with a tartan blanket!

Punchy Dan:
Lol , drove someone’s lorry this week who panicked and said you need to be over 30 for the insurance , I said iam 40 next !

You’re definitely not an old timer.

bald bloke:
I’m trying to convince myself I’m not, I reckon it’s 30 yrs experience and 55 plus .

That’s me then :grimacing:

Juddian:
younger drivers who are old school drivers at heart.

:sunglasses:

Juddian:
I don’t think of old timers in lorry world, but there is definately an old school attitude.

Old school is a frame of mind, it covers things like taking a pride in your work and being a professional as much as you can be these days, and appreciating and looking after the job you have if its a good 'un.
I haven’t found age nor time on the job to be particularly influencial in this, i’ve worked with and still do new and younger drivers who are old school drivers at heart and i’ve worked with and still do old lags who’ve been doing the job for a lifetime and take no pride nor care a jot about the job and will never be old school lorry drivers as long as they have a hole in their arse, just as some of the young and middle aged won’t either.

I can assure you not all old school drivers are professional.Far from it in some cases.Some need putting off the roads as do some of the youngsters.
Most attitudes stink these days.

I am 62 and been in the job since 1975. As my wife is 16 years younger and still very attractive and that I have a full head of dark hair I would hate to be considered an ‘Old Timer’ :laughing:

Adding to this post, you are ever fully experienced no matter how long you have been driving.

The wonders of male hair dye maybe, I’m 67 still working full time with a wife of 21 years who is 27 years younger than me and within the next two months I have to go back to school for a week or so to be able to continue in my job for the next five years. You’re only as old as the woman you feel !! :laughing: :laughing:

raymundo:
The wonders of male hair dye maybe, I’m 67 still working full time with a wife of 21 years who is 27 years younger than me and within the next two months I have to go back to school for a week or so to be able to continue in my job for the next five years. You’re only as old as the woman you feel !! :laughing: :laughing:

Good man :wink: But the math doesn’t seem right :laughing:

And I don’t use hair dye, my dad died in his 90’s and also had a full head of dark hair.

Pat Hasler:
I am 62 and been in the job since 1975. As my wife is 16 years younger and still very attractive and that I have a full head of dark hair I would hate to be considered an ‘Old Timer’ :laughing:

Adding to this post, you are ever fully experienced no matter how long you have been driving.

I am 58, been in the job since 1979. I was always asked then and for a few years after ‘‘Are you old enough to be driving that thing son’’ as I have never looked my age.(not kidding myself btw :laughing: ) I think the genes are in my family, my Dad is still a very fit bloke at 80, he is an ex submariner and still swims lengths underwater in the pool…and at speed. :smiley:

My age bears no resemblance, or relevence, to the way I feel ( or behave :smiley: ) In my head I am still mid to late 30s, when I tell people how old I am they do not believe me. …hey! maybe they are good liars :smiley: who knows.
I was drinking with a driver who I went to school with the other night in Stoke, he said to me ‘Do you believe we are actually close to 60’’ I said ''Do I ■■■■ ‘’ other guys our age we knew were old men 20 years ago, a lot of it is a state of mind, if you want to be, and act old…you are old. :bulb:

Unlike Pat I have a lovely head of skin :smiley: , …but it is shaved right around to give it that ‘‘intentional’’ look.
Like Pat, I would hate to be looked upon as an ‘Old timer’ although I do get (and can take :smiley: ) a bit of stick on here :smiley: .

I also have a very attractive blonde wife who is younger than me, and she does not let me ‘get old’ I have not reached the ‘leather trousers’ and Harley Davidson ‘‘crisis’’ stage yet, but would never be seen in a cardigan and slippers eating Werthers Originals, for many, many years to come.

Anyway enough of blowing my own trumpet :wink: …as for old time drivers, as someone has said they aint all perfect, but I think the ‘real’ drivers among them have a much different attitude and application to some of the younger lads, although there is a vast number of good drivers among the young ones also …thankfully.

Uncle Albie:

Juddian:

I can assure you not all old school drivers are professional.Far from it in some cases.Some need putting off the roads as do some of the youngsters.
Most attitudes stink these days.

Who left the door of the sunshine bus unlocked?

Old Timer is when you can reminisce about the old days,answer questions instead of asking,demonstrate instead of being shown and use your initiative with confidence.
When the Gaffer sends newbies out with you to show them the ropes.

Unfortunately for BB his signature makes him an old timer to me.

Straight to Class 1 Feb 88

Well I was born Jan 88. So if we get in a heated exchange he can use the classic “I have been doing this since you were ■■■■■■■■ in nappies”, and no doubt “I have gone further in reverse…” :wink:

mrginge:
Unfortunately for BB his signature makes him an old timer to me.

Straight to Class 1 Feb 88

Well I was born Jan 88. So if we get in a heated exchange he can use the classic “I have been doing this since you were ■■■■■■■■ in nappies”, and no doubt “I have gone further in reverse…” :wink:

Yes I will remember this ^^. :smiley:

Some of the replies on here are missing the point.
I think its not actual age BB is referring to but the experiences a Driver can talk about before rope n sheeting became obsolete and “curtain siders” and semi auto gearboxes and power steering,sat navs and heated mirrors became the norm,that`s an “old timer”

bald bloke:
I reckon it’s 30 yrs experience and 55 plus .

Where does that leave the likes of me? I fit both criteria but have spent approximately the same amount of time driving lorries and buses/coaches. I wouldn’t have a clue how to rope and sheet but have a decent level of knowledge on the more modern stuff, whereas I still keep my hand in on the coaches with a bit of touring every year.

Am I a knowledgeable old git or a pretender with a foot in both camps?