Old timers question

Stanley Knife:
Am I a knowledgeable old git or a pretender with a foot in both camps?

No, you’re a double agent Stanley, and one day just like Burgess, Philby and McClean you will up sticks and move to Busland and drink vodka all day whilst writing your memoirs. :wink:

lolipop:
Some of the replies on here are missing the point.
I think its not actual age BB is referring to but the experiences a Driver can talk about before rope n sheeting became obsolete and “curtain siders” and semi auto gearboxes and power steering,sat navs and heated mirrors became the norm,that`s an “old timer”

I didn’t miss the point, and he did mention his age btw.
So I stick to my point, I have seen and done all you mention, but anybody who calls me an ‘old timer’ to my face will get a bat in the teeth. :laughing:

robroy:
but anybody who calls me an ‘old timer’ to my face will get a bat in the teeth. :laughing:

I feel your pain brother. Eagerbeaver called me an old timer this week, but as he’s a nice guy I’ll let it slide.

The fact that he’s as big as me and looks more than capable of batting me back has nothing to do with it. Oh no Sir, nothing at all. :wink:

Ford D800 and delivering about 12 ton of rolls of linoleum to half a dozen different places in London with no power steering, alright the first couple of drops but as the weight came of the back end the steering got very heavy and impossible to turn the wheel unless I was moving. Would have preffered to have been born a lot later to avoid issues like those.

Pat Hasler:

raymundo:
The wonders of male hair dye maybe, I’m 67 still working full time with a wife of 21 years who is 27 years younger than me and within the next two months I have to go back to school for a week or so to be able to continue in my job for the next five years. You’re only as old as the woman you feel !! :laughing: :laughing:

Good man :wink: But the math doesn’t seem right :laughing:

And I don’t use hair dye, my dad died in his 90’s and also had a full head of dark hair.

What’s wrong with the maths Pat ?

lolipop:
Some of the replies on here are missing the point.
I think its not actual age BB is referring to but the experiences a Driver can talk about before rope n sheeting became obsolete and “curtain siders” and semi auto gearboxes and power steering,sat navs and heated mirrors became the norm,that`s an “old timer”

Well when i started roping and sheeting was pretty common although i’ve only roped a few loads, sat nav was years away, cruise control was rare i think as were auto gear boxes, and certainly no limiter and hi vis were jackets were ever needed and i’ve also driven a truck without power steering so perhaps i’m an old timer after all then :blush: :cry:

As a young kid I started at Swifts in Duston and asked some ‘Old timer’ to show me how to tie a dolly knot, he took about 20 minutes demonstrating the knot to me … To this day I have never lost the skill.
The company I work for now has sent young kids out with me on odd occasions and I have shown them what I know … I am however still not an old timer :laughing:

There is a thread in the Newbie forum asking how long you stay a Newbie for.
Perhaps some of you NON ‘old timers’ should start posting on there! :wink:

Pat Hasler:
I am 62 and been in the job since 1975.

Pat Hasler:
I am however still not an old timer

Well i beg to differ there… :smiley:

bald bloke:

Pat Hasler:
I am 62 and been in the job since 1975.

Pat Hasler:
I am however still not an old timer

Well i beg to differ there… :smiley:

Im younger than Pat (a little) but would say "Yes, Im an old timer". With over 30 years driving and at over 55 years old Ive gotta be. But I wouldnt want to be called (except in jest) an old ■■■■ or whatever. Im not as young as I was, but can still climb on/off trailers without a step ladder and oxygen mask, can pump pallets up a reasonable slope, learn new routes, learn new trucks (even if I DO contrast them with superior older ones!). Im “Old School” (or aspire to be) according to Juddians definition. Maybe "Old Timer" yes, but NOT old, as being "Past It". I may be different to RobRoy for me "Old Timer" doesnt equate to OLD. At least it shouldn`t.

I think juddian has about got it right with his comment.
‘Old Skool’ is a frame of mind and as I am in my 41st year of commercial driving, I still try to do the job as best as I can.
But I have also met a few young drivers with a really good attitude, and a few older ones who could learn a thing or two from newly qualified blokes.