Old timer/ remembering past times

Jacking up the truck does not work as the old wax cards worked On a forward movement,am I right Dennis?

Here is a test, yorkie who used to drive for oswolds what was his real name ? And why was he called yorkie.

Joepipe3:
Jacking up the truck does not work as the old wax cards worked On a forward movement,am I right Dennis?

Anybody suspected of tampering with a Servis Recorder did not get very far, all the ways on here to beat it were useless when it was sent back to Servis in Gloucester it was analysed, they were the experts and soon found out what was being done with it, then it was usually the Door.

When “I were a Lad” in Kendal, early 60’s I recall a Scammell Highwayman of Moores of Ayr ( just like the model but the trailer was shorter) passing through the Town on the A6 usually loaded with billets IIRC and this particular Driver wore a Deer Stalker hat and he had IIRC a handlebar moustache plus he always had a pipe in his mouth, some character I reckon so does anyone else recall him ? Cheers Bewick.

Moores used to load billets out of Steel Peech and Tozer at Templeborough Rotherham for Scottish Stampings Ayr.Ususally 3 lifts of 30 ft,one either side barred up to chocks then a lift into crossed timbers int middle. I remember a lift coming up the mill and as it got over trailer a short billet dropped out,luckily missing trailer (and driver) and dropping onto floor.However that short billet got there I don’t know,somebody could have been killed.
I was told that whenever they were loaded for home then home they went,no night out. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ben walker:

Joepipe3:

Anybody suspected of tampering with a Servis Recorder did not get very far, all the ways on here to beat it were useless when it was sent back to Servis in Gloucester it was analysed, they were the experts and soon found out what was being done with it, then it was usually the Door.

Found a pic of the old recorder:

the-servis-recorder-british-made-truck-clock-6b0cd3c7c197ba28bd0208662671d713.jpg

:laughing: hi/ stan-the-man here, trucking time started 1961, one of my first motors was an old "sentinel"with drag, reg no kuk 126, it was a B.R.S. truck, 16 ton carrying cap, 10 ton on truck 6ton on trailer, in my day i’ve driven most everything with wheels on, all rope and sheet work , 26mtr steel girder lengths
long list of firms i’ve worked for, 1 special to me was “OSWALD’S OF AYR”
anyone remember them■■? with McGAWNS and MOORES, anyone who can remember these has done some trucking, my name stan gallimore from stoke-on-trent, lets here from you please, :unamused: :unamused: age 71+11mnths

Stan, I remember Moores, Blue Scammells if I’ve got it right, one Saturday we were going on our anual trip with the British Legion to New Brighton not sure of the year but early to mid 60’s I would say as I would have been about 10 at the time. Well the coach is going at a good clip 70 ish on the M6 near Knutsford, but he did insist on driving in the middle lane, when this Scammell, bonneted with headlights on the wings, comes up flashing for the coach to move over, he did in the end and the trailer was either 50 or 60 foot, they used to carry alot of steel, I think anyway never forgot that little episode, wish i had a camera back then.

So come on Stan tell us some stories, do you have any photos.

is it this mcgawn

(pic copied from another thread)
hi stan,welcome to trucknet,started with brs warrington myself,tho in 1994!
so more man and volvo than sentinels!

hi stan there was an old guy drove for moore’s alway had a cap on and smoked a pipe used to stop at kirtlebridgt cafe, had a long nose scammell with a680 leyland in loaded with ayr stampings, that motor was a right flyer,
idrove a guy big j 180gardner that had been open up a bit :laughing: :wink: :laughing:
i could stick with him till shap, old a6. he would just pull away on the first drag and disappear, i think sid harrison bought it when moores finnished took the 680 out replaced it with180 gardner, it was some motor, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:frowning: hi, lads, stan-the-man again,
sorry ai’nt got any photos, did’nt get enough time off to take pics,
7 days a week, 3to 400miles a day, blisters on arse most of the time,
carried lots of stuff for scottish stampings, mainly handball off loading
carried for hoover at merthyr, leave new road cafe at talke at 4am,
()no motorway then)be in merthyr before 8-0 am ready for production line to start work, 147 miles no dual carriageway, 3hrs 40 average, A.E.C. MANDATOR, CRANE FREAU BOX round fronted trailer, all ribbed ally panels
looked and drove like a yankee outfit, proud as punch, 72mph top speed,
deadman brake only on trailer, 5 days a week on that, then sat morn 3am to basildon (fords)load of crankshafts to be there before 8am,crane sling your load off 6 at a time, leyland 680 for the job back empty,
sunday morning 4am to woolwich(fords) tip home empty,
7 days like that every week, and the missus complained when you did’nt want to go dancing sat/ night, 1970 brought a thankful day off each week,
but wages dropped astronomically,
yes/ moores of ayr scammell nosers/ flyers but bloody freezing, only half doors
with a bit of roll down perspex,alex mckeckney was one of their drivers,
can’t remember names much nowadays,
that aec mercury does look like one of mcgawns but they worked mainly for the ROOTES GROUP,
glad in1966 when first volvo’s and scanias first appeared in blighty,
otherwise you would all be driving trucks with a drivers wooden
daycab stuck on the front of the chassis,
but the gaffers were crafty and wanted to stop the night allowance
because you could sleep in the cabs, they also saved on insurance
because the driver became a 24hr guard,
“OH, YES, GOOD OLD DAYS” MORE TO FOLLOW LATER
thanks for your interest in an old clogger,(rightfooter)
ta-ta byeeeeeeee stan-the-man :unamused: :unamused: (keep em peeled)

whooshwhoosh:

my sentinel was a bit later than this one, these steamers wre still being used in liverpool by CRUTCHLEYS for dock work, i don’nt what ■■■■■ they wre burning but the stinkwas awfull if you got down wind, just like a guiness and curry night!!! mine had sliding doors a bench seat, no power steering, crash gearbox, no heater, 29 mph,
load of mich tyres leave sat morn 8-0 am to crawford(scot) 210 miles, 10 hrs driving, sunday 8-0am to aberdeen 10 more hours, digs overnight
tip and load mich depot monday, park up
7-0 start tuesday back to crawford 10 hours
wednesday morn 8-0am back to tunstall depot (stoke)
tip and load thursday
do a liverpool dock on friday,
set off for aberdeen again on saturday ,they called us trampers,
we looked like em byeee stan-the-man

Hi. Stan
That McGawn’s in the picture is the McGawn from Maybole The ones you remember were McGawn of Ayr they were red motors Atki’s and Scania they did a bit for Oswald I drove for McMurdo of Sanquhar we also backloaded steel for Oswald I stayed a couple o times in their dig’s at Talke the bed’s in there never got a chance to get cold.Did you know Fraser McMurdo he was a brother of the ones i drove for but for a number of year’s he drove for Oswald.What was the name o the chap that was in charge of the depo. he belonged New ■■■■■■■ but I cant remember his name. Aye they were well worked men&motor’s Jim Cree could certainly keep them busy. that Crane freuhauf box eventually ended up with us and was kept busy on a carpet job in it’s second life.
Eddie.

:smiley: HI,EDDIE,
certainly did know fraser, the fellow you are after was wee tommy eccles,
firey tempered little bugger, would take on the world,
picked on willy mcombe, a few times, willy could have had him for breakfast, but he let it go, got a list of names i still remember, don’t know if you do,
parker&bob saunders, pat mckane, jim mc instrey, hugh dunlop, hugh tyrie,
jim mcinlay, lots more but i/m getting forgetful just lately,
great to hear from someone who recalls some of the hard work that was driving in those days, the old cafe is long gone, it’s now a bp filling station,
if you ain’t been down here for a while you would’nt recognise it at all,
trying to picture your face,i must know you in the back end of my mind,
if you told kids now about carrying steel held on with ropes, no chains then eh!
chucking all them stampings off, loding that green grit from canterbury on a flatbed, those pitch pipes from larkfield, that black fondue cement from lafarge at dartford, all handball and rope and sheet,
they’d all want their nappies changing
they don’t even have to change gear now, no clutch to press and brakes that really work, i’ll cut it short now, lovely to hear from you ed,
keep in touch still missing old times, did’nt finish till i was 69 ,but still young,
keep going to BRYMBO, remember? ta- ta stan :laughing: :laughing:

dieseldog6:
Stan, I remember Moores, Blue Scammells if I’ve got it right, one Saturday we were going on our anual trip with the British Legion to New Brighton not sure of the year but early to mid 60’s I would say as I would have been about 10 at the time. Well the coach is going at a good clip 70 ish on the M6 near Knutsford, but he did insist on driving in the middle lane, when this Scammell, bonneted with headlights on the wings, comes up flashing for the coach to move over, he did in the end and the trailer was either 50 or 60 foot, they used to carry alot of steel, I think anyway never forgot that little episode, wish i had a camera back then.
So come on Stan tell us some stories, do you have any photos.

hi, deiselldog, just got into writing a good old tale to you, got carried away
put too many words on post , so it just wen’t blank on me,
all that with one finger and no safety glove!!! will fill you in on gory details but ain’t many old pics, old truckers with time to have and use a camera!!
thats a good one, “just jesting my friend” catch you in tomorrows post,
byeeee ta-ta stan-the-man :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bumper:
hi stan there was an old guy drove for moore’s alway had a cap on and smoked a pipe used to stop at kirtlebridgt cafe, had a long nose scammell with a680 leyland in loaded with ayr stampings, that motor was a right flyer,
idrove a guy big j 180gardner that had been open up a bit :laughing: :wink: :laughing:
i could stick with him till shap, old a6. he would just pull away on the first drag and disappear, i think sid harrison bought it when moores finnished took the 680 out replaced it with180 gardner, it was some motor, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: hi, bumper,
know the man by sight, traveled too fast to catch his name,
harrison eventually had almost every long noser ever built, he’d got more spares than “scammell”, they were good motors but were about as cosy as wearing barbed wire jockstrap■■?
half doors, bit of drop down perspex, leather bench seat,(torn of course)
steering wheel with no cover on, long worn away by segs on drivers hands,
rough they were, “just ask my lady”, started at 38 b two years later 34 a
she said if you don’t wear gloves i’ll leave you, i bought some with staples
in, i was shocked when she wanted me to use them for work, ha!ha!
have to pack up now for tonight, at 73 she’s still demanding attention
she’s on the pill so i should be ok tonight, she’s just had two nytol!
so i can sleep well,
good night bumper, catch you soon stan-the-man, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

biggusdickusgb:
is it this mcgawn

:laughing: :laughing: hi/ buddy,
(still truck slang??)packed it in at 69yrs had enough, did have a break from age 57 to age 67, 3hrtattacks caused that, lost class one , max drive at 67 was 7.5 tonner, good flyer carried railway wheels all over uk, 71and 11 mnths now
that was mcgawns of maybole, not mcgawns of ayr which i really meant,
thanks for your comments it’s nice to know someone likes to hear some old
timers stories, it was’nt all fun but we did it because we had families to feed, in 1962 our basic wage for 48 hrs was £8-6shillings, 8 shillings for
a night out, out of which 2 shillings was for phone calls, if you did’nt use that it had to be paid back, no sleeper cabs then, no heaters,(not invented)
socks on hands(no gloves) fixed seats crash boxes, vaccumn brakes,
skiddy knickers guarranteed, change own wheels, at least 2 every week, thats why we helped each other, because you did’nt know when it might be your turn, anyway enough of the downers for tonight, got to give my
lady a service, needs her commode emptying, (not that bad yet) jesting,
don’t grind your gears, grind your teeth,
go for it big time ta-ta, stan the man

bumper:

That was Willie Bell.
Dave.

whooshwhoosh:

:laughing: hi/ "whooshwhoosh, take it that nick name comes from dashing about??
mine on my last job was “justnip”,
anyway about old stories, in the early 60s, just a short while ago eh!,
job interviews for stoke haulage company’s were as follows,
name, artic or rigid, 8,6,or 4 wheeler, ropes and sheets,
then what size sh—, by this time you thought i’ll show you i’m clever so
you said proudly 8s,
there was a little pause while the gaffer got 3 shovels out and said
i meant what size shovel will suit you best, if you fainted you did’nt get the job,
most work was on flatbeds, this is what we carry,
ball clay, chalk clay, ducker flints, chalky flints, sand, gravel and coal,
if you want a job thats easy, get a job as a bus driver, the load walks on and off itself, most of us only saw a £££sign so we took the job,
3 trips a week out , 3 trips back with anyone of those listed above,
pick up your shunter and off to unload, bloody hard work that, went on for years untill the shovel broke, did’nt want a new one,so got a job with “OSWALDS”, MORE TALES LATER, BYeeeeeeee stan :laughing: :laughing: