Old timer/ remembering past times

biggusdickusgb:
is it this mcgawn

hi/ biggusdickusgb, ai’nt done any of that logging work,
don’nt grow many big trees in the clay around stoke,
someone else reckons that mercury in your pic is mcgawn of maybole,
got one or 2 tales to tell, a very few pics, problem is i don’t know how to put them on these posts, advice welcome, i’m not thick, just old now, brain still good but not as sharp as it aught to be,instructions in slow motion please, to give me time to work it out, ta a lot, more to follow,
stan :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Hi Stan look at the 2nd thread at the top of this page as regards putting pics on here.

Or click on this link

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35020

Regards Pat

:laughing: hi/ "whooshwhoosh, take it that nick name comes from dashing about??

:laughing: no,just dont like followin,always whoosh em n get in pole position :wink:
sounds like youve lived a life stan,feel i was 20 yr too late startin :cry: jobs really nailed down, with health n safety gurus tellin you which hand to put your gloves on :cry: started on rope n sheet myself with brs,on the british aluminium contract,wish i was still on it now,slowly turnin into a steering wheel attendant!keep the tales comin.hawhooooosh! :sunglasses:

Eyup Stan,all good stuff mate,keep it coming!
I remember Moores Motors,they used to load out of Steel,Peech and Tozer (BSC) at Rotherham with billets for Scottish Stampings Ayr.Whatever time of day it was they were away “hame” like sh** off a shovel.
:smiley: Sid Harrison did buy some of their Scammells and you can bet your life they are still lurking somewhere. :sunglasses:

a couple of photos to jog your memory, of days gone by,

Two good old photos there Bumper.
I like the Allisons pic especially.

bumper:
a couple of photos to jog your memory, of days gone by,

[/ :laughing: quote]
hi/ bumper, those photos sure bring back memo’s , worked one time for "CARMANS"before they became brit european, had foden two stroke(noisy ■■■■■■■■■ wooden cab, that one had a bloody great staring handle, always needed it on cold mornings, three man job to swing it, one on each side with a bit of rope, one on the handle to keep it in the dog, batteries were about as good as two 1.5 varta’s
them whisky barrels used to take some loading, two men to get em! ,up on the roll
smelled good though, loaded them out of lister street glasgow for brs
used digs in argyle st, had fingers flattened a few times but was half ■■■■■■ on the fumes so you did’nt notice the pain,
going off now, she wants her nytol(i’m glad to oblige) i’m running out of excuses not to nowadays, keep em coming, make my day
ta-ta- stan :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Chris Webb:
Eyup Stan,all good stuff mate,keep it coming!
I remember Moores Motors,they used to load out of Steel,Peech and Tozer (BSC) at Rotherham with billets for Scottish Stampings Ayr.Whatever time of day it was they were away “hame” like sh** off a shovel.
:smiley: Sid Harrison did buy some of their Scammells and you can bet your life they are still lurking somewhere. :sunglasses:

hi, chris, used to load them billets myself, after dropping a load of crankshafts at ambrose shardlow, bloody hell!!! just realised how long ago that was, worked for "oswalds"then they were running as g.k.n. motors then,
nuther tale, one old trunker early 70s had bull nose scammell, for “smiths of lye” nr brierley hill, got sick of being cold so one night decided to let it have free run at top of old shap, left the running board smartish i can tell you,
through the wall and off down the banking to the brook at bottom,
clapped his hands, thats a dead un, get a new motor now,
following night he’s got a leyland ergo, chuffed as punch,
saw him following week, you’ve guessed it, newly painted his old scammell was back, they’ed dragged it out ,changed four springs on it,
f**king indestructable ■■■■■■■ he yelled, kicked ■■■■ out of the wheel and broke his toe, we could’nt stand up for laughing, great guy’s great times,
more later ta-ta stan, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

davemackie:

bumper:
hi stan there was an old guy drove for moore’s alway had a cap on and smoked a pipe used to stop at kirtlebridgt cafe, had a long nose scammell with a680 leyland in loaded with ayr stampings, that motor was a right flyer,
idrove a guy big j 180gardner that had been open up a bit :laughing: :wink: :laughing:
i could stick with him till shap, old a6. he would just pull away on the first drag and disappear, i think sid harrison bought it when moores finnished took the 680 out replaced it with180 gardner, it was some motor, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That was Willie Bell.
Dave.

hi, whoever put that in has dragged up a name from the past,
them moores guy’s were crackers man, i think it was willy who dropped his trailer at the back of new road cafe, went off in the unit for a drink,
came back a bit late, half ■■■■■■■ backed under the trailer but the pin snapped off, right under he went, smashed back of cab in and pushed the trailer over the embankment, all the steel slid off and the lads spent half the night dragging it back up one piece at a time, good job we had an old stacker then to lift it onto another trailer, borrowed of course!!! blue air was not for the faint hearted, just like the keystone cops man, brilliant and funny,“now” not then,
got to go now dave, lets hear some of you tales, ta-ta stan :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Stan, at That time I worked for Strathclyde Transport in Motherwell, Willie’s son also called Willie worked there at that time, he had the biggest muscles on the fleet,what did the management give him, the only wagon with power steering.

Dave.

davemackie:
Hi Stan, at That time I worked for Strathclyde Transport in Motherwell, Willie’s son also called Willie worked there at that time, he had the biggest muscles on the fleet,what did the management give him, the only wagon with power steering.

Dave.

hi/dave, would’nt you know the gaffers way of thinking?? if you ain’t got muscles, the only way to get em!was hard work, get em! built up, pulling &pushing on a heavy wheel is just the thing, at 5ft 2" and a tealeaf it was bloody hard work for me, handling them heavies around the country sure
put some muscles on my arms,
pulling ropes and wheels i had arms like an orangutang!!! in no time
i remember having to stand up to get enough power to turn the wheel,
you had to do that to get enough braking power on them bloody old erf’s!!
lot’s of tales to tell, good times/bad times just rolled along in time,
hands so bloody cold and wet with ice you had to ■■■■ on em! to thaw em! out,
do you remember “MAcKELVIES” “SAMMY ANDERSONS” who was it that hauled for caterpillar up near bellshill,■■
so keep sending in stories, i could go on forever, 99pc true 1pc hearsay
good health good luck, ta-ta stan, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Hi Stan,I think Sammy Anderson is still going,even if he’s pulled t’pin I’ll never forget him!
Was it Cawthorne and Sinclair who pulled for Caterpillar at Bellshill or did they just do it out of Birtley? Can’t remember,but I can remember those AEC MK3s and 5s without power steering.A.E.Evans,the tanker firm used to take the PS off,marvellous :unamused: and in 1971 the MK5 I had was uprated to 28 ton(or was it 26) and no sod including the heavyweight driver “big Ken” could tackle it without beads of sweat running down his mug.It was a work of art for me to get it round some of those islands on the Derby Ring Road and others.

Must go,me arms are aching :smiley: .

Chris.

hi lads another couple of photo’s from the past,
remember when you did not need a key to fire her up
most starter were switch and button’
hand ball a load of clemie’s soon got the old hand ruffed up, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
:

Whey,an AEC MK3 starter panel.Then you had a speedo and air gauge and a flag that came up that said “STOP”,so you did if you could :smiley: If you had two coat hooks,one spot light and a rad blind you had the “Ghia” version.

Is that one of London Brick’s AECs Bumper?

Chris Webb:
Whey,an AEC MK3 starter panel.Then you had a speedo and air gauge and a flag that came up that said “STOP”,so you did if you could :smiley: If you had two coat hooks,one spot light and a rad blind you had the “Ghia” version.

Is that one of London Brick’s AECs Bumper?

chris not sure if its london brick, bet someone will know though.

Is it true that there used to be a type of “time clock” fitted by some firms years ago , like some sort of mechanical “pre tacho”?.
Sure i read about them somewhere and that drivers would jack an axle off the ground and put the lorry in gear to make it look like it was moving whilst it was parked in a tpt cafe or wherever?

Suedehead:
Is it true that there used to be a type of “time clock” fitted by some firms years ago , like some sort of mechanical “pre tacho”?.
Sure i read about them somewhere and that drivers would jack an axle off the ground and put the lorry in gear to make it look like it was moving whilst it was parked in a tpt cafe or wherever?

Yes,it was called the Servis Time Recorder.Never had the misfortune to have one in any of my wagons,but I’ve heard plenty of tales about how they were open to fiddling.I heard they were sensitive to movement and one driver on nights regular put one under his bed to make sure her indoors didn’t have any visitors :smiley: I’ve also heard of the jacking up idea as well.
There will be somebody on here who can tell you more about 'em.

Suedehead:

SO TRUE SUEDEHEAD ABOUT THAT CLOCK, RAN FOR A WEEK,
a bloody good clout across back of cab, lightly cushioned of course,
if it did’nt disintegrate it , it sure made a big jump on the card, boiling water or hot tea over it was another way, after a week the card was all chewed up,
used to tell him, cabs got a bloody big spider in it ,and it must be hungry, you better believe it , ta-ta and 10-4 and all that crap, whats your 10-20 good bud
stan-the-man, 72 yr old nutter, byeeeeeeee :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The pic of the old starting box brings back memories, were the lights on that as well, whenever my Dad got out the cab it was always “don’t touch anything”,

The pre tacho’s were fitted in Rugby Cement lorries back in the 60’s, used to be fixed to the back wall of the cab

You could slide a credit card in and lift the needle off the card.