Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Colin.Swain:

Ray Brown:
Hi everyone, it’s been very quiet on this site for a while now!! Is anyone still out there??
I getting concerned not to hear from Laurence Dunbar and a few of the North East lads who used to post regularly.!!

Also been concerned about Larry ; sent him an email a few weeks ago to tell him about Bunt Morton of Morton’s of Wooler passing away and never heard back from him which is unusual as always replies

Just been in touch with him by text, he’s ok and looking forward to seeing everyone on the 22nd. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Colin.Swain:

Ray Brown:
Hi everyone, it’s been very quiet on this site for a while now!! Is anyone still out there??
I getting concerned not to hear from Laurence Dunbar and a few of the North East lads who used to post regularly.!!

Also been concerned about Larry ; sent him an email a few weeks ago to tell him about Bunt Morton of Morton’s of Wooler passing away and never heard back from him which is unusual as always replies

Just been in touch with him by text, he’s ok and looking forward to seeing everyone on the 22nd. Regards Kev.

That’s good; pleased to hear he is ok

Heard so sad news yesterday Bob Thorpe passed away

animal:
Heard so sad news yesterday Bob Thorpe passed away

Known as “Top Coat”, in the days before decent cab heating he always wore a busmans
overcoat, ( with a white stripe on the sleeve for right turn hand signals in the dark).
Also known as Dr No, as he was the double of the James Bond villain.
A long serving driver for JR Adams. R.i.P. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Colin.Swain:

Ray Brown:

That’s good to know Kev, what are the full details of the next reunion please?

Thought I’d kick start the photos again. My dad used to drive one of these when he worked for Caladonian, and when I was a kid I did many trips with him. When I worked at Crows a driver who worked for Phillips Transport Oakwellgate came in the yard daily and I remember him being called ‘Top Coat’. I think he lived at Wreckenton and ended up driving for Crows too.

9125BA84-7484-4849-B0A6-DEED1B42BDBE.jpeg

Ray Brown:

kevmac47:

Colin.Swain:

Ray Brown:

That’s good to know Kev, what are the full details of the next reunion please?

Hi Ray, usual venue Newcastle Labour Club, 22nd October, from about 2pm onward.
Look forward to seeing you. Regards Kev.

Colin.Swain:

Ray Brown:

Colin.Swain:

Colin.Swain:

Ray Brown:

Hi Colin, I remember Hewitts from many years ago, I also remember Elliotts of Morpeth. I posted the photos of Shaun Hannah’s, I knew of him years ago when he owned Newcastle Crane Hire.

A few photos of Capstaff!

70CD465D-E7AD-4EA9-86D3-39AD8BC057EF.jpeg

A couple of old favourites I thought Laurence might like.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Can anyone confirm if Arthur Nicholls used to be a fitter for Crows Transport.

Found this old photo of one of Crows trailers parked in PG Waltons yard in Saltmeadows Gateshead.

It was great to meet up with a good group of old drivers today at the Newcastle Labour Club, I had a great day. As promised here’s some old and new photos hope you like them!

86D24852-BEFF-4FF9-896F-EA6333909098.jpeg

53BF8C85-39DD-4B3D-91B8-32AF92CCBBE6.jpeg

Great pics of Powell’s motors Ray, I’m sure Iain Wilkinson will be commenting shortly about OVK682. His late dad Jim drove that from new, he even took it to Glasgow as a chassis cab to have the body fitted. He eventually rescued it from a Newcastle scrapyard and restored it to pristine condition. Great to meet up with you today at the “do”, I’m looking forward to the next one already. Keep the pictures coming!! Regards Kev.