Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Bhall coll ambulance.jpg

Pictured in Blackhall Colliery, maybe late 30s? Obviously a Roller but until i saw this i did’nt know of the existence of a Rolls Royce 20 van (which i’m assuming this is? ambulance conversion)
If Churchill thought the good people of Blackhall (especially the miners) were being transported to hospital in a Roller he would have choked on his cigar!

paulycats:

Pictured in Blackhall Colliery, maybe late 30s? Obviously a Roller but until i saw this i did’nt know of the existence of a Rolls Royce 20 van (which i’m assuming this is? ambulance conversion)
If Churchill thought the good people of Blackhall (especially the miners) were being transported to hospital in a Roller he would have choked on his cigar!

Has somebody not just grafted a RR grill onto the front?? Early seventies I went to Gateshead Tech and the Principal ( guy called Darlington) had either a Zephyr or Zodiac and he got a couple of the Body Shop instructors to graft a RR grill onto the front. He used to drive through Low Fell thinking he was the dogs doo dah’s but it looked a right abortion. Also not sure if RR discovered what he had done they could take legal action.
Tyneside

tyneside:

paulycats:

Has somebody not just grafted a RR grill onto the front?? Early seventies I went to Gateshead Tech and the Principal ( guy called Darlington) had either a Zephyr or Zodiac and he got a couple of the Body Shop instructors to graft a RR grill onto the front. He used to drive through Low Fell thinking he was the dogs doo dah’s but it looked a right abortion. Also not sure if RR discovered what he had done they could take legal action.
Tyneside

Judging by the coachwork, I’d have thought it was more likely that an elderly Rolls family saloon was donated by a wealthy benefactor for the ‘war effort’ where it served as an ambulance until hostilities ceased and the miners adopted it. Just a guess.

paulycats:

The M reg S80’s at our Tilcon quarry arrived in mid '74 and as Tilcon had a six year replacement policy lasted until 1979/80 and (apart from a couple kept for internal work) were then replaced with either Haulmasters or Sed Ak 400’s.

Pete.

1950's lorry Haswell.jpg

This one has me beat!
Looking at it i thought straight away, Foden,ERF,Albion?, but the straight line of the lower edge on the windscreens (no curves or angles) makes it difficult to identify? Any offers?
I’ve even tried to find the owner’s, Barrass and Walker but without success.

FISH TRUCK WINGATE.jpg

Another Wingate accident.
Described as a Fish Truck, this is an ex Army vehicle that would have (these days) exceeded all Health and Safety constraints. Certainly no restraints on the load and no doubt no suppression on the odours eminating.
Thinking it’s a Morris or an Austin?

paulycats:

Another Wingate accident.
Described as a Fish Truck, this is an ex Army vehicle that would have (these days) exceeded all Health and Safety constraints. Certainly no restraints on the load and no doubt no suppression on the odours eminating.
Thinking it’s a Morris or an Austin?

Looks like a Morris Commercial.

Thats a sight to wake you up apparently its Esso Hibernia up at Wallsend ready for launch .

ramone:
Thats a sight to wake you up apparently its Esso Hibernia up at Wallsend ready for launch .

Quite an imposing sight. I’m sure i was taken to see the Esso Northumbria built just prior to this one? Unbelievable that both ships would be scrapped within 13 years of being built! All that time, effort, sweat and pride (and money) for such a short lifespan. What a waste of British engineering! Sadly a sign of things to come.

Esso Hibernia launch

esso.jpg

Few more from the area Tyneside

Hi Tyneside One of the few pleasures in life at the moment is seeing photos you have dug up as they bring back so many memories,

The United was one of their coaches. As opposed to service buses the livery was reversed with cream being the major colour. When I was 11 I went to Bow School Durham as a boarder before going to Durham at 14plus. Bow was and still is situated as you go into Durham down South Road from the then ■■■■ of the North to The New Inn & situated on left just before the traffic lights.
Being a boarder was just really learning and sleeping & I used to see quite a lot of these United ‘Coaches’ as they went through the traffic lights and up the incline as they departed Durham.
shows how it was like being in Prison as I got pleasure from watching buses pass as I longed for freedom. It wasn’t my parents choice for me to board as they actually missed my presence at home, but Bow would only accept me as such as they needed the time to bring my education up to scratch to get to the standard to pass my exams to get into Durham School.
My dad wrote me every day giving me full information on what the vans were doing & what was happening in the business & although as I said it was like prison, me and my school mates were all the same and it taught all of us to stand on our own feet & realise you have to be independent & look after yourself.
Anyway enough of my waffle & thank you for the photos

Carl

Carl Williams:
Hi Tyneside One of the few pleasures in life at the moment is seeing photos you have dug up as they bring back so many memories,

The United was one of their coaches. As opposed to service buses the livery was reversed with cream being the major colour. When I was 11 I went to Bow School Durham as a boarder before going to Durham at 14plus. Bow was and still is situated as you go into Durham down South Road from the then ■■■■ of the North to The New Inn & situated on left just before the traffic lights.
Being a boarder was just really learning and sleeping & I used to see quite a lot of these United ‘Coaches’ as they went through the traffic lights and up the incline as they departed Durham.
shows how it was like being in Prison as I got pleasure from watching buses pass as I longed for freedom. It wasn’t my parents choice for me to board as they actually missed my presence at home, but Bow would only accept me as such as they needed the time to bring my education up to scratch to get to the standard to pass my exams to get into Durham School.
My dad wrote me every day giving me full information on what the vans were doing & what was happening in the business & although as I said it was like prison, me and my school mates were all the same and it taught all of us to stand on our own feet & realise you have to be independent & look after yourself.
Anyway enough of my waffle & thank you for the photos

Carl

Pleased you enjoy them Carl, I will keep on looking see what I can find !! Tyneside

paulycats:

ramone:

Quite an imposing sight. I’m sure i was taken to see the Esso Northumbria built just prior to this one? Unbelievable that both ships would be scrapped within 13 years of being built! All that time, effort, sweat and pride (and money) for such a short lifespan. What a waste of British engineering! Sadly a sign of things to come.

Yes you are right a complete waste of money , when i first saw it i thought the captain or skipper or whatever he was called had nipped home for his dinner , it would be a bit of a shock to see it at the end of your street though

tyneside:
Few more from the area Tyneside

Newcastle Warehousing, I loaded many times in between those two tall buildings, they were stuffed full of wines and spirits. It was an absolute hellhole, everything was on their own purpose made small pallets to fit in the cargo lift. Consequently it all had to be handballed onto regular pallets on the trailer, and being a bonded warehouse it was beneath the snotty nosed
toe rags to help with the loading. Sheeting up was a bit of a challenge as the wind always whistled between the buildings. The good old days!! :unamused: :unamused: regards Kev.

Hi Kev, And it was called Love Lane :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , And as you said they were a real set of snotty gits, Regards Larry.

The wood shed IIRC Was used by the Dockers Union Rep, Regards Larry.

Consett iron company

Great photo of Pickfords with a C. A. Parsons generator on board from Walker. Used to go into Parsons regularly, Lovely shot of the old cafe as well. Nmp

Kempston:
Great photo of Pickfords with a C. A. Parsons generator on board from Walker. Used to go into Parsons regularly, Lovely shot of the old cafe as well. Nmp

Heres the full story “Kempston” :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.