Old livestock hauliers shropshire

I love the pictures on this thread, I hope there’s plenty more to come.

BB

i am new to this site but drove for a good few years for mervyn edwards on livestock haulage with his guy big j s loading around the mid wales markets and delivering to marshalls at lamberhurst, north devon meats at torrington and somebody at tiverton junction. i also did a bit of work carrying pigs for barry hughes whose lorries were orange and signwritten select livestock producers

hi shakey i was talking to harry groom the other day about select livestock he drove an aec eight wheeler for them.

Drew’s of Gwystre near Llandrindod Wells have been running livestock lorries for many years.

shakey:
i am new to this site but drove for a good few years for mervyn edwards on livestock haulage with his guy big j s loading around the mid wales markets and delivering to marshalls at lamberhurst, north devon meats at torrington and somebody at tiverton junction. i also did a bit of work carrying pigs for barry hughes whose lorries were orange and signwritten select livestock producers

The place at Tiverton Junction might have been Lloyd Maunder?

Andrew

Pebbles 74:

shakey:

Andrew

Hi, I remember Lloyd Maunders at Tiverton well, used to be a regular run at one time.
regards Andrew.

andrew brick:

Pebbles 74:

shakey:

Andrew

Hi, I remember Lloyd Maunders at Tiverton well, used to be a regular run at one time.
regards Andrew.

Hello Andrew, yes LM was a big operation. They were envoled in the animal feed milling, fattening, the processing & supply to the supermarkets & their own retail. Apparently the LM name is only used on the high-street butchers shops now, the processing plant being sold to a company called 2-Sisters from the Midlands.

Note seen / heared anything from 143topline latey?

regards, Andrew

Pebbles 74:

andrew brick:

Pebbles 74:

shakey:

Andrew

regards Andrew.

Hello Andrew, yes LM was a big operation. They were envoled in the animal feed milling, fattening, the processing & supply to the supermarkets & their own retail. Apparently the LM name is only used on the high-street butchers shops now, the processing plant being sold to a company called 2-Sisters from the Midlands.

Note seen / heared anything from 143topline latey?
Hi, not surprised, looking back is bad for my health !! makes me feel old. Most of the places that I used to deliver to seem to have gone, only seems like yesterday that I was delivering to places such as Barnstable,Gloucester and Northampton, most are now large estates, as are most of the livestock markets that we loaded from,then there is the old cafs that we used to stop at, all gone, God I feel old,and and im not even 50 yet !!!.
regards, Andrew

i am now back from a two week holiday, will get back on the thread by the weekend

143topline:
i am now back from a two week holiday, will get back on the thread by the weekend

Welcome back, hope you had a great holiday.
regards Andrew.

Pebbles 74:

regards, Andrew

LM are still involved in the feed milling and I believe the fattening ( chicken) , afaik the site is leased to 2 sisters (MRCT are doing most of the transport)

They shut the lamb plant about 3 years ago ( I delivered there about 3 times a week)

Denis F:

Pebbles 74:

regards, Andrew

LM are still involved in the feed milling and I believe the fattening ( chicken) , afaik the site is leased to 2 sisters (MRCT are doing most of the transport)

They shut the lamb plant about 3 years ago ( I delivered there about 3 times a week)

Lloyd Maunders was a regular run on a Friday for us. I used to ride shotgun with a driver & after running a couple of loads of barreners to a local plant, we used to wash out, load lambs & run down there from the old Ross on Wye market. I well remember chasing a couple of lambs down the road there one friday afternoon. I know it was a long time ago but I’m certain they had lines there for Cattle & Pigs as well as sheep back then.

The day was long & hard but the target was to get back to North Petherton before the chip shop closed.

More photos please.

BB

Hi Basilbrush, cracking chips from North Petherton, I recall heading there one summer night and it was getting towards closing time, I was hustleing the old f88 when I met a local bobby going the other way, I clocked him braking and turning in my mirrors but decided that I might as well get cought for a pound as a penny so hammered on even faster, I pulled up outside the chippy and the bobby pulled up behind me and started to get out of his car, but he must of had a shout as he got back in and he roared off at a great rate of nots withthe blues flashing, but as he passed me I saw him shaking his head.
It was a lucky escape,and the fish and chips always tasted great, but later I drove pretty steady for a few miles, just in case I came across him again.
How ive had a clean licence for 33 years is a mistery to me, its down to luck and not judgement !!!.

regards Andrew.

Basilbrush:
Lloyd Maunders was a regular run on a Friday for us. I used to ride shotgun with a driver & after running a couple of loads of barreners to a local plant, we used to wash out, load lambs & run down there from the old Ross on Wye market. I well remember chasing a couple of lambs down the road there one friday afternoon. I know it was a long time ago but I’m certain they had lines there for Cattle & Pigs as well as sheep back then.

The day was long & hard but the target was to get back to North Petherton before the chip shop closed.

they did have cattle and pig lines , however I never saw them in use ( I only started running there in 2000 ) The cattle lairage was there unused and the pig line had been converted into storage space and a cutting room for the homekill

I believe they contracted out the beef and pork kill for their butchers shops
( some went to Burdens at Sturminster Newton ))

Devenports F88 and drag at Oswestry stock market around 1985

hi cheptow chap great photo of the f88, i believe its devonports of aston.
As anyone got any photos of there other lorries, a Treg volvo f10 6 wheeler and drag (which replaced the f88), an aec 6 wheeler, a T reg volvo artic (which replaced the aec).

Hi boys

chepstowchap:
Devenports F88 and drag at Oswestry stock market around 1985

watty1:
hi cheptow chap great photo of the f88, i believe its devonports of aston.
As anyone got any photos of there other lorries, a Treg volvo f10 6 wheeler and drag (which replaced the f88), an aec 6 wheeler, a T reg volvo artic (which replaced the aec).

chepstowchap thanks for the photo as you say watty1 Devenports of Aston. When they sold the artic unit we used to pull the 36ft trailer for them on busy days, mostly Welshpool Mondays, Oswestry Wednesdays and Beaston Fridays.Usally sheep to Kingsley,Frodsham or Longmans at Stoke.There was also a place on the out skirts of Wigan and sometimes Bamberbridge.As i’ve said before I drove the f10 wag and drag for a while IIRC that was an ex A1 transport and Brian and Jack transferred the box’s from the old f88.
As watty1 said any photos would be welcome

Regards Keith

Hello Andrew
Do you still have the filling station? I remember back in the late 70’s or early 80’s when on the VSCC welsh trial which that year finished at Knighton leaving for the journey home about four in the afternoon, the plan being to fill up at your garage and arriving there to find it closed. So nothing for it but to knock at the house and say sorry, I guess it was your father who emerged, I remember he was a bit grumpy saying this had happened before and they only bought ten bobs worth, so anyway he filled us up, it would have been five or six gallons to top it. The car was a 1926 AC two seater with dicky, scuttle tank, gravity feed and the filler cap was on the dashboard!
I had a Commer two stroke for a while back in the 60’s, it was belonged to Alf Wymmes of Bignal End another coal dealer, dad lent them one of our Bedfords for one of his sons to learn to drive on, must have been though more suitable, meanwhile I had the Commer. I remember going to Hem heath colliery with it driving along the A34 in the early hours to que up for loading, with my foot flat on the floor trying to get the boost gauge ever higher. The uniflow engine has no induction stroke and so needs to be pressurised to get the fuel in. I read somewhere that the engine was designed using German Junkers technology and was built by Tilling Stevens hence the TS designation and the 3 for the three cylinder configuration

Hi Jonto, unfortunatly I had to sell the petrol station about 10 yrs ago,there is now a tractor dealership operating from there, I assume that it brings in a lot more profit than running lorries and selling fuel ever used to. It was always a pet hate of dads to open up after closing time, but living on the site it was a drawback to the job, I remember one night opening up for the local ambulance to top up after a call, this was around 9pm and I never minded doing that as you never knew who or where it would be next called to, but when I was called on again at about 1am to fill it up gain, only to find that the bloody thing was still full,the crew had changed and instead of looking at the guage, or dipping the tank if they thought that the fuel gauge was faulty,the dipsticks prefered to call me out,the vehicle had only covered 1/2 a mile to the ambulance station and 1/2 a mile back down to the garage :imp: :imp: To say that I wasnt a happy chappy would be an understatment, but they never made the same mistake again !!.
I didnt get to drive our Commer,it was sold long before I started driving,although I remember it well, you could always tell it coming miles away by its sound, both the engine and the brakes, the Albion being the first vehicle that I drove after my HGV test.
regards Andrew.

Hi,looking for stuff for the scrapbook I found this…I think it belongs on this thread. :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs, :wink: