Old livestock hauliers shropshire

watty1:
hi ive recently joined the forum and was very interested in these posts my father run livestock lorries just over the border in wales but with a shropshire address.
there are a few livestock hauliers in this area that come to mind as they are
JW Watson Bronington Whitchurch (my father)
Stocktons of whitchurch
Frank Edwards of Loppington
Dulsons of Whixall
Sid Downes Bagley Ellesmere

Does anyone remember any of these?

hi wattie
the only one i can recall is possibly frank edwards, did he run a thorneycroft?
i have a photo taken at shrewsbury with a line up of three lorries. the one is a thorneycroft with FE on the front.
north shropshire was not really my area

Hi boys
Welcome watti 1, I remember all of those here’s another one–Eddy Morgan from Bronington.

Regards Keith

Hi Keith,
Do you remember C E Jones of Crickmerry near Market Drayton :question:
Sorry I forgot you are talking about livestock hauliers,will have to wipe my eyeballs. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Hi boys
Dave sorry that does not ring any bells.Did they do general haulage then. I know where Crickmerry is, are they still going :question:

Regards Keith

Hi boys
I know it’s strictly not Shropshire but just north of Whitchurch over the boarder into Cheshire there was a firm called Devenports from Aston. They run quite a few trucks at one time then ended up with a red F10 6x2 and drag with one son(Brian) driving and another son(Jack) as mate.About 20 years ago Brian had health problems and lost his HGV. I went to drive it for them for a couple of years with Jack still as mate until they packed up in about 1992.Jack RIP died a couple of years later.We used to do all the local markets and deliver to loads of slaughter houses as well as doing all the big shows.Anyone that says livestock is easy has not done it,It was all early starts collecting for the markets, hang about all day at the markets then late nights delivering to the slaughter houses.Plus they ether would not get on or would not get off :slight_smile: :slight_smile:Harry you would have liked that motor a proper drag and with the tag up on the truck easy to shunt :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:Unfoturnetly like most of my rides I don’t have any photos,has anyone else :question: :question:

Regards Keith.

dessert driver:
Hi boys
I know it’s strictly not Shropshire but just north of Whitchurch over the boarder into Cheshire there was a firm called Devenports from Aston. They run quite a few trucks at one time then ended up with a red F10 6x2 and drag with one son(Brian) driving and another son(Jack) as mate.About 20 years ago Brian had health problems and lost his HGV. I went to drive it for them for a couple of years with Jack still as mate until they packed up in about 1992.Jack RIP died a couple of years later.We used to do all the local markets and deliver to loads of slaughter houses as well as doing all the big shows.Anyone that says livestock is easy has not done it,It was all early starts collecting for the markets, hang about all day at the markets then late nights delivering to the slaughter houses.Plus they ether would not get on or would not get off :slight_smile: :slight_smile:Harry you would have liked that motor a proper drag and with the tag up on the truck easy to shunt :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:Unfoturnetly like most of my rides I don’t have any photos,has anyone else :question: :question:

Regards Keith.

remember davenports trucks at malpas on a saturday morning remember a f88 6 wheel rigid and aec six wheeler with 3 deck boxes

R975ENC:

dessert driver:
Hi boys

Regards Keith.

remember davenports trucks at malpas on a saturday morning remember a f88 6 wheel rigid and aec six wheeler with 3 deck boxes

i may have a photo of the f88 with drag taken at oswestry , will look for it tomorrow

williams bros denbigh atkinson . seen at shrewsbury market early 1960’s

watty1:
hi ive recently joined the forum and was very interested in these posts my father run livestock lorries just over the border in wales but with a shropshire address.
there are a few livestock hauliers in this area that come to mind they are
JW Watson Bronington Whitchurch (my father)
Stocktons of whitchurch
Frank Edwards of Loppington
Dulsons of Whixall
Sid Downes Bagley Ellesmere

Does anyone remember any of these?

here is a line up at shrewsbury, thorneycroft of frank edwards, bedford of j pugh from lydbury north, and atkinson of f warburton
1961 i think about the time the new market was opened. went to the last market in the town by the river and the first one at the market at battlefield. market moved again a few years ago

143topline:

aec mammoth major with 4 deck thornes livestock body. photo taken at shrewsbury market early 1960’s

How lovely to see this old AEC with a body for double deck of cows. I remember going to chippenham market bak in the early 60s & seeing Dougie Clays AEc 8 wheelers with two decks of cows. I’m so pleased to find this photo on here altough it’s not one of his lorries.

BB

andrew brick:

the paying end,not always as clean as this.

A lovely photo, shame we don’t even see a new cattle truck at the big shows these days. I used to live about 2 miles from Drews body builders place years ago & remember seeing the lorries there being bodied. Shme I never had the sense to take the camera there while the lace was still open. I reckon they were lovely livestock bodies.

Was this picture taken at Moones at Gloucester??

BB

Basilbrush:

andrew brick:

A lovely photo, shame we don’t even see a new cattle truck at the big shows these days. I used to live about 2 miles from Drews body builders place years ago & remember seeing the lorries there being bodied. Shme I never had the sense to take the camera there while the lace was still open. I reckon they were lovely livestock bodies.

BB

were drews bodybuilders at frampton cotterell?

Basilbrush:

143topline:

aec mammoth major with 4 deck thornes livestock body. photo taken at shrewsbury market early 1960’s

How lovely to see this old AEC with a body for double deck of cows. I remember going to chippenham market bak in the early 60s & seeing Dougie Clays AEc 8 wheelers with two decks of cows. I’m so pleased to find this photo on here altough it’s not one of his lorries.

BB

i remember doug clay as a livestock buyer at banbury back in the 70’s
i have a photo of a doug clay aec but it is not one i took myself

andrew brick:

two stroke Commer & stock box,you could always tell when a commer was coming,either uphill or down dale you couldnt mistake them.

Another lovely photo, isn’t that the same lorry shown earlier with the tailboard down looking like it was brand new? We used to use a Commer maxi load like this one but it had a Drews triple deck body on it. I well remember seeing it de-coke itself going down a steep hill at night loaded with barreners. I loved that lorry. FHT 331D
(I think) it was.

BB

143topline:

Basilbrush:

143topline:

BB

i remember doug clay as a livestock buyer at banbury back in the 70’s
i have a photo of a doug clay aec but it is not one i took myself

I’d love a copy of that photo 143 topline. I started going to market with my father when I was 7 & the memories of those AECs have lived in my head for many years. I was at Gloucester one day, it must have been towards the end of Doug Clays days. As per normal, he, Bakers, Ernest Awre & les Weston were buying almost everything & you could virtually predict by breed which bulls they were going to buy each. I used to love it & it’s sad to visit B&Q where the old Gloucester market proudly stood.

I was watching a lorry unoad three old Bulls brought in to tranship onto lorries loading for Dougie clay & one of the three must have been the biggest Friesian bull I’ve ever seen. Doug clay even walked down to see him before he was loaded on a H H Williams trailer for his last trip.

Any chance you could post the photo of Dougie Clays lorry??

BB

143topline:

Basilbrush:

andrew brick:

BB

were drews bodybuilders at frampton cotterell?

Yes they were, one of them had a farm at Rangeworthy & the factory at Frampton Cotterell.

BB

nice to read about drews we had three of these first one in1950 on otype bedford MYA 631 second on ALBION 1956 WYD 300 AND THIRD ON SECOND HAND OTYPE BEDFORD 1958 KKJ 991 SADLY NO PHOTOS PROBABLY COULDNT AFFORD A CAMERA

Hi 143topline, just wondering if you have any pictures of Bells, Carlisle,cattle wagons. I well remember that they used to do Carlisle to North Devon Meats in one hit.
regards Andrew.

andrew brick:
Hi 143topline, just wondering if you have any pictures of Bells, Carlisle,cattle wagons. I well remember that they used to do Carlisle to North Devon Meats in one hit.
regards Andrew.

hi andrew- t bell carlisle collection ranges from albion reiver , aec mammoth major, erfs , sed atki, f12 , fh12, lets see if i can post some pics

143topline:

andrew brick:
regards Andrew.

hi andrew- t bell carlisle collection ranges from albion reiver , aec mammoth major, erfs , sed atki, f12 , fh12, lets see if i can post some pics

Hi, yes it was always the erfs that seemed to fly to Devon,it must have been the big ■■■■■■■ that gave them the power, prob. fully stroked !!.
I must admit that I dont remember their FH12s,I was out of livestock by then.
regards Andrew.