Old Italians FIAT OM UNIC Lancia

Froggy55:

ERF-Continental:
Though very informative and impressive…I missed the reason that UNIC is considered Italian

Initially fully French, Unic was bought by Simca in 1952, a French car manufacturer; the first Unic truck was introduced in 1922. Part of Simca’s shares were held by Fiat, which took the full control of Unic in 1966, introducing gradually their own components. Unic finally integrated Iveco in 1975, together with Fiat, Lancia, OM and Magirus-Deutz.

When all of the manufacturers were brought together under one roof IVECO was formed
IVECO stands for Industrial VEhicle COrporation

robthedog:

Froggy55:

ERF-Continental:
Though very informative and impressive…I missed the reason that UNIC is considered Italian

Initially fully French, Unic was bought by Simca in 1952, a French car manufacturer; the first Unic truck was introduced in 1922. Part of Simca’s shares were held by Fiat, which took the full control of Unic in 1966, introducing gradually their own components. Unic finally integrated Iveco in 1975, together with Fiat, Lancia, OM and Magirus-Deutz.

When all of the manufacturers were brought together under one roof IVECO was formed

Indeed! And now partly Chinese, I think…

Froggy55:

robthedog:

Froggy55:

ERF-Continental:

Indeed! And now partly Chinese, I think…

Its owned by CNH I don’t think their Chinese though, i’m sure their American-italian (probably Mafia ?)

I think Ford owns Iveco. My Eurostar had a Ford badge on the front and was built at Fords in Germany.

ERF-NGC-European:
I think Ford owns Iveco. My Eurostar had a Ford badge on the front and was built at Fords in Germany.

Your way off the mark this time RO

iveco bought out Fords european truck operations , they only kept the blue oval as they thought they would lose sales if they badged everything IVECO straight away , ( my FIAT 170/26 had a small iveco badge on it , 1981), that why you ended up with iveco/fords .

tonyj105:
iveco bought out Fords european truck operations , they only kept the blue oval as they thought they would lose sales if they badged everything IVECO straight away , ( my FIAT 170/26 had a small iveco badge on it , 1981), that why you ended up with iveco/fords .

Ah! So it was the other way round then! I knew one had bought the other. :laughing:

robthedog:

Froggy55:

ERF-Continental:

and there was me thinking it stood for It Vibrates Everything Comes Off

Lancia Asagamma:

Credit: Alain Mugica

They were quite smart looking for the early sixties. A handful were sold in France.

Suedehead:

robthedog:

Froggy55:

ERF-Continental:

and there was me thinking it stood for It Vibrates Everything Comes Off

we had the 1st iveco / ford cargo 18 tonner at swifts (K43YBH) complete with 8 speed ZF , complete dog of a motor , i managed to jam the gearbox between high and low (slap across job) and i had only just brought it away from the dealer after a service, iveco also had to swap a complete fleet of 7.5 tonne iveco-ford cargo’s for swift as they were so bad, they put the bodies onto new chassis, invloved about 20 odd motors if i remember rightly. luckily we went mostly DAF LF on the rigids eventually , we had the 1st pre production LF 18 tonner as well , good motors.
tony

Some old Fiats I photographed in Tripoli docks in Libya some years ago. I think they were built there under licence:

An Astra I encountered in Aswan, Egypt in about 2007/8.

And one I snapped in Turkey.

ERF-NGC-European:
And one I snapped in Turkey.

Looks like the end of the journey for this one!

The Fiat 693s were built in some African countries as late as the 1990s, I think. I must check in my French magazines.

there’s an old film called ‘the beast’ from years ago that featured a FIAT i think a 682 running from italy to poland , and the geezers adventures afte that, had some good interior shots , all ended in tears with a twin steer 170 stuck up a mountain but thats showbiz.

tony

Hi all, good thread this , have you noticed that most of them have a grill cover off one sort or another most looked like an old sack but one was a nice purpose made leather one. :sunglasses:

I do remember this grille cover was quite common on this model in France. I confess I can’t say if it was made of genuine or “simili” leather. Besides, I can’t see the use of such an equipment in Africa.

Froggy55:
I do remember this grille cover was quite common on this model in France. I confess I can’t say if it was made of genuine or “simili” leather. Besides, I can’t see the use of such an equipment in Africa.

I can! I took those pics in late December. The coast of North Africa is a north-facing coast onto the Med and it can be bleak and cold there in winter. I’ve been to all the North African countries and it’s the same all the way along from Tangiers to Port Said. It soon warms up as you travel south though. For example, the difference between Alexandria and Cairo can be quite significant - a bit like Calais and Paris!

ERF-NGC-European:

Froggy55:

I can! I took those pics in late December. The coast of North Africa is a north-facing coast onto the Med and it can be bleak and cold there in winter. I’ve been to all the North African countries and it’s the same all the way along from Tangiers to Port Said. It soon warms up as you travel south though. For example, the difference between Alexandria and Cairo can be quite significant - a bit like Calais and Paris!

Interesting! Thanks!