Old Hands Opinions Please!

adr:
I run our depot & drive as well, I have got a couple of younger ones on, nice lads but quite frankly I’m closer to being Pope than they are to being Lorry drivers! They dash about like idiots thinking they are clever, I have told them & told them that they are just gona make it worse for themselves but no, they been driving wagons for about 4 years each (serious big-wheelers!) I come from a transport family, have known nothing but wagons since I was in nappies & been driving them for 29 years so hey, what do I know! I have told them, the wagon is on tracker, and the PDA computer in the cab records everything from the vehicle checks to the time you shut her down at the end of the day, at the flick of a button head-office can bring up your whole days work timed to the second! So I ask you what kind of tw*t speeds? Who are you trying to impress? I can gaurantee you the Judge won’t be impressed when you get to 12 points & he slices you off at the knees & you are grounded & out of a job! Now guess whats happened, surprise surprise they are now getting more drops put on them every day, their reward for doing 12 hrs work in 9! The job has changed, tther’s no point in trying to be a hero, all you will do is stress yourself out, we all like to go home early when we can, but this is wagon driving & you will get home when the job is done & thats it, if you want set hrs go & work in a factory & do 8 hrs! With cameras that photograph eveything except the length of your johnson, VOSA, un-markes cars you just don’t need the hassle, so get your foot off & do it legal cos now its the only way, the days of going 80 mph with your hair on fire have gone!

Some might say that because I’ve not been in the game for a few years I should just STFU, but for me from where I sit you’ve summed up much of the modern game (in the UK /EU at least). I was back in the UK earlier this year and while the place seemed to be wall to wall with shiny new wagons (a far cry from even the 80s when I was on the road) the sheer number of speed cameras, ANPR cameras, point-to-point cameras, plus regular apperances by the wheeltappers, 90km/h restrictors, Plod everywhere and the digital tacho it seems to me that if you speed at all it’s a case of when you’ll get done not if.

So you may as well just plod along, get the work done that you’ve got on and enjoy if for what it is. Look around you, there are worse jobs out there - factories full of people beign turned into robots, offices full of cubicle farms populated by people who stare at a partition wall all day day in day out. At least if you’re out on the road you’re seeing something different most days, even if it’s only the shunt from the yard to the tip and back. Accountants have their place in transport, but they shouldn’t be running ops cos for all their devious ways of cutting overheads you can bet your ar$e in the end any savings they make will get blown out of the water when somethign goes wrong.

Some part of me still thinks back to when I was in the game and how much I enjoyed it, but I’m old enough (if not wise enough) to know those days are gone for good and if I did get back in the saddle I’d probly hate it within a week. And I won’t say all younger drivers are like it, but the attitude of some I’ve seen makes me shake my head - I hope to christ I wasn’t that up myself when I was that age. I think are probly quite a few younger blokes in the game these days who do try and do want to be professionals, it’s just they don’t seem to get the coverage that the real tw@ts do.

As to the bloke muckaway talks about - as best you can ignore the clown. It’s only a matter of time before he gets busted and if trying to reason with him doesn’t work IMO you’d be better off making sure to$$ers like this don’t ruin your own enjoyment of the job.

Sorry for the rant, I’ll see myself out :wink:

AMEN TO THAT !

there’s nothing new under the sun nathan , be it now or "back in the day " there have been ,and always will be knobheads who only think of what they want and don’t care how it affects the job or the people who have to work with them . the best answer is to totally blank them , as they will work their way out of the job eventually . cheers , dave .

Just caught up with this, my first ‘over 21’ driving job (pre HGV licence days) was driving a Bedford TJ tipper runnig from a gravel pit to the washing plant, approx 1 hour per round trip. Pay in the day was 4/6p an hour and the boss said there was a bonus, an extra shilling, less than a quarter of an hours pay!, if you managed an extra load. Yeah right. Learnt a lesson there that (mostly) stayed with me for 45 years. It’s just not worth it in hassle or money.

What do you old hands think of this?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74789

isnt that the tipper job all over, drivers trying to do one more load than everyone else, always has been but it seems to be getting worse even the blokes you work with at the same company doing it. Its exactly the same where i work certain drivers are leaving the yard 10 minutes before there starting time driving like absolute idiots all day then they find themselves tipped off half an hour before the rest of us with nowhere to go, then hide out for overtime and end up doing no more work than the rest of us but have run themselves ragged and the sad part is the gaffers think there great :imp: :imp:

I have to admit that we had a couple of drivers like that, they would try and pass you going to a job and then if that failed then they would tip their load in the wrong place or even in front of your truck so that you couldnt move until the machine driver levelled it. One even ripped his taildoor off trying to tip his load before me without opening it first but If they got reported it wouldnt worry them, always another load elsewhere for them. Nobody got sacked. I would have though that now drivers are hourly paid that sort of thing would have ceased, presumably not so? That’s one reason why I preffered carting tarmac, better rates and less rip and tip plus you got plenty of breaks in while loading and tipping but you also had longer days unfortunately :wink:

Pete.

f7sidd:
isnt that the tipper job all over, drivers trying to do one more load than everyone else, always has been but it seems to be getting worse even the blokes you work with at the same company doing it. Its exactly the same where i work certain drivers are leaving the yard 10 minutes before there starting time driving like absolute idiots all day then they find themselves tipped off half an hour before the rest of us with nowhere to go, then hide out for overtime and end up doing no more work than the rest of us but have run themselves ragged and the sad part is the gaffers think there great :imp: :imp:

That still goes on mate; One driver who used to do that was one of the first to be laid off when work went slack. He couldn’t understand why; not even explaining that he’s thrashing the lorry to bits, getting banned from sites (entire companies in some cases) and parked up at 3 hanging time out until 5. It wasn’t as if he was washing and polishing either…

It’s always gone on in tipping have you never seen he’ll drivers :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Rise above it, you get prats in all walks of life and its a case ignore them or move. I love the comment on the link to this page about drivers hiding behind curtains?

its becoming more and more regular, drivers pulling the side curtain so far across while driving you can’t see them. The old bill need to start pulling them, its dangerous. How do you check your blind spot or get a full view of the mirror, posers the lot of them- either that or they are scared of their own shadows■■?

Its a pity there weren’t camera’s at the lights.He deserves the sack and loss of his licence for pulling a dangerous stunt like that.We had a lot of queue jumping and all the rest when I was driving tippers,but jumping a red light is not on.

I run our depot & drive as well, I have got a couple of younger ones on, nice lads but quite frankly I’m closer to being Pope than they are to being Lorry drivers! They dash about like idiots thinking they are clever, I have told them & told them that they are just gona make it worse for themselves but no, they been driving wagons for about 4 years each (serious big-wheelers!) I come from a transport family, have known nothing but wagons since I was in nappies & been driving them for 29 years so hey, what do I know! I have told them, the wagon is on tracker, and the PDA computer in the cab records everything from the vehicle checks to the time you shut her down at the end of the day, at the flick of a button head-office can bring up your whole days work timed to the second! So I ask you what kind of tw*t speeds? Who are you trying to impress? I can gaurantee you the Judge won’t be impressed when you get to 12 points & he slices you off at the knees & you are grounded & out of a job! Now guess whats happened, surprise surprise they are now getting more drops put on them every day, their reward for doing 12 hrs work in 9! The job has changed, tther’s no point in trying to be a hero, all you will do is stress yourself out, we all like to go home early when we can, but this is wagon driving & you will get home when the job is done & thats it, if you want set hrs go & work in a factory & do 8 hrs! With cameras that photograph eveything except the length of your johnson, VOSA, un-markes cars you just don’t need the hassle, so get your foot off & do it legal cos now its the only way, the days of going 80 mph with your hair on fire have gone!

Bang on adr, it’s alright until something happens then the (zb)it hits the fan and the only thing you’ll hear is “Nobody told you to speed”…
Some people at work think I’m mad when I try to explain VOSA turning up and checking records (our sandpit’s nowhere near a dc except a very short section near Steeple Aston) so 80kmh on a tacho will get them asking questions. I do laugh at those who’ve gone like an idiot but whom I pass hiding in a layby in the afternoon :unamused:

Exactly Muckaway, I couldn’t agree more! If you have a knock the first thing the busies pull is your digi-tach/tacho card, they got you by the grollies every time! & lets face it, telling Plod you are on load/tip bonus isn’t the smartest move is it! The 1st thing they do in the morning is put their ■■■■■■■■ in the screen, 1st thing I do is put the kettle on! They not even got a minute to have a cuppa, its ridiculous, we get 15 mins minimum to do our vehicle checks, they were blasting out the yard in 5 mins, we used to get 30 mins but because of idiots like them tearing out the yard after 5 mins head-office spotted this & cut it to 15, so the flyers all started crying about it, hypocritical tossers, I argued with head-office that 15 mins wasn’t long enough to do thorough checks, but all the times/dates\figures etc were layed in front of me, so thanks to these ■■■■-heads my argument fell on deaf ears! My immediate Boss is an ex-driver, he knows what I am saying but sadly companies now are not run by Transport men, they are run by accountants so all that counts is the bottom line! But I also think this shows up another problem with Transport nowadays, from the posts I can see like me you grew up with a haulage background, a lot of your thinking & ways probably like me were learnt from your dad, but because of health & safety/insurance etc you don’t see cabs full of kids riding with their dad/family/friends etc during the school holidays so they are not getting derv in their veins so are not following dad into it, so we now get people that know nothing about transport/wagons just thinking it looks fun coming into the game all waving their Class 1s & ADRs in the air thinking they invented wagon driving, you can’t tell them anything & they almost resent it when you try to give them the benefit of your experience.They think I’m od cos I have a fold up chair in my cab, I don’t like splitting my breaks & would rather have a full 45 mins at lunch-time, so if the weather is nice I like to find somewhere quiet to park & get my chair out to get out of the cab, so I can have my flask/sandwiches in peace & quiet which sets me up for the afternoon, they think I am some kind of dinosaur because of this! Its a shame but what do you do!

Nothing has changed Muckaway, when I worked at Waughs in the 70s we had a nice chap who would drive over your sheets as you were trying to fold them, (I wasn’t the only one he did this to) in his hurry to get ahead of you. regards kevmac47

Sad to say I was one of them chasers when I started on the lorries in the mid 60’s working for a north London tipper firm called Knifton’s, they ran a fleet of Thames Traders and J type Bedford’s and latterly D series Fords, you had to chase to keep up with the older drivers, boy did they shift, but when I turned 21 I blagged my way onto Cawthorn & Sinclair’s who had arctic’s on contract with Thorn in Enfield. The first thing you learnt was to ask the old hands how THEY wanted the job run, and to do it THERE way if not at a 4am start in the morning you found your 5 wheel pin pulled or you ropes loosened off, good firm with even better drivers they taught me all about road haulage and stood me in good stead for the rest of my 50 years on the road and I thank them very much, true gentlemen
All of them.

Ossie

Has anyone noticed the difference between what’s posted on the old time forum and what I originall put on the PD forum? Precisely why I put in two different forums…

OssieD:
Sad to say I was one of them chasers when I started on the lorries in the mid 60’s working for a north London tipper firm called Knifton’s, they ran a fleet of Thames Traders and J type Bedford’s and latterly D series Fords, you had to chase to keep up with the older drivers, boy did they shift, but when I turned 21 I blagged my way onto Cawthorn & Sinclair’s who had arctic’s on contract with Thorn in Enfield. The first thing you learnt was to ask the old hands how THEY wanted the job run, and to do it THERE way if not at a 4am start in the morning you found your 5 wheel pin pulled or you ropes loosened off, good firm with even better drivers they taught me all about road haulage and stood me in good stead for the rest of my 50 years on the road and I thank them very much, true gentlemen
All of them.

Ossie

Most drivers on here have done it, I am the same, we’ve chased delivery times, chased boats, tried to get home! For various reasons most of us have pushed the envelope, I pushed it too far 1 night but thankfully someone up above decided it was time I had a scare & allowed me to walk (very shakily) away from it, my wagon was a right-off! But then you could get away with it, of course there was always the chance you’d get a pull, but the odds were mainly in your favour. But now the Authorities haven’t just moved the goal-posts they’ve moved the whole flipping stadium! So whats the point? Modern day management couldn’t really give a flying 1 about you, you don’t get any extra for it, you might go like a scalded cat 1 day to get something done, but the next day if you make 1 tiny mistake you are summat they just wiped off their shoes & you are getting warning letters etc, so who for/why do it? Just do it by the book & get it right, don’t leave yourself open to anything!
Regards Chris

Muckaway:
Has anyone noticed the difference between what’s posted on the old time forum and what I originall put on the PD forum? Precisely why I put in two different forums…

You might also get different replies off of the same people too! :smiley: :smiley:

I used to charge around too, it was the way of it then. Its seems to be impossible to do now, for the most part - which is a good thing! I felt it was becoming far too regulated and all the fun was going out of the job, a lot of the oldtimers were retiring so I had the chance to leave and took it.I still miss it though, diesel in the veins syndrome I beleive its called! :smiley:

The problem is that the old ways and days have long gone, never to return. I suspect there are still ways to bend the rules but not quite so prolifically as twenty or thirty years ago… :wink:

I might be old fashioned, bur there again I am old, but I still think the old days were good. I worked very hard & long hours like a lot of other drivers. I earned 20Quid a week in the late 50s., plus exs… Drivers were better thougth of In my book in the old days, now they are just a number. I enjoyed those days, & worked with some of the best, long distance drivers anyone could wish for. Cheersw Larry