Old Firms in Oxford Area

toshboy:
Perhaps more suited to the BRS thread but as this was an Oxford Group (long lane) lorry its of local interest . Going by the reg number it would of been around 1950 ?,
Its possible that someone could throw some light on the subject ? .my time at Long Lane i never heard of the incident ,it intrigues me to where ,when , and how . so lets have your theories what could have happened .

This one Ivor geordiepics.photoshelter.com/im … XvxTDkCRgA
Cheers
Eddie
Found a bit more interesting info courtesy of Michael Dibb.
" Seen from the footpath, the bridge carries the B6341 road over the River Aln. The B6341 was once the A1. It is hard to imagine the thundering herd that races along the current A1 Alnwick bypass on this beautiful grade I listed bridge that is a scheduled ancient monument."

Michael Dibb cc by sa 2.0 2472175_61f723ffmd .jpg

oiltreader:

toshboy:
Perhaps more suited to the BRS thread but as this was an Oxford Group (long lane) lorry its of local interest . Going by the reg number it would of been around 1950 ?,
Its possible that someone could throw some light on the subject ? .my time at Long Lane i never heard of the incident ,it intrigues me to where ,when , and how . so lets have your theories what could have happened .

This one Ivor geordiepics.photoshelter.com/im … XvxTDkCRgA
Cheers
Eddie
Found a bit more interesting info courtesy of Michael Dibb.
" Seen from the footpath, the bridge carries the B6341 road over the River Aln. The B6341 was once the A1. It is hard to imagine the thundering herd that races along the current A1 Alnwick bypass on this beautiful grade I listed bridge that is a scheduled ancient monument."

Hi Eddie, Well thats very interesting , i now know where, thanks a lot for that info ,i had Scotland in mind so not too far off. but how i wonder? --ivor

Toshboy , as you know this wagon was way before my days on Brs Oxford , I cannot see the fleet number are you sure its a Oxford wagon ?

Hi Oily, there were often mishaps with wagons travelling in both directions on the Lion bank into Alnwick and the northbound bank also when it was the main A1 especially in wintertime. An acquaintance who attended teacher training college in Alnwick castle in the early 1960s tells me of the frequent mishaps then but the biggest uproar (not from the lion) but the college authorities when students from Durham University which Alnwick was affiliated to painted the lion’s backside red as a rag wee stunt. The lion could’nt see what all the fuss was about.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

toshboy:

Hi Toshboy,
Think I will put my money on he lost the trailer brakes coming down that small hill while he was breaking hard for the bridge.
It must have come around very quickly judging by the wall damage. Harvey

JAKEY:
Toshboy , as you know this wagon was way before my days on Brs Oxford , I cannot see the fleet number are you sure its a Oxford wagon ?

Hi Jakey.
I cannot be sure of anything ,the fleet number prefix is 80e .Oxford registration plate though on unit ,The only Prestcold factory was at Cowley (very much later moved to Theale)- Oxford fleet was 44G . as we covered the whole of GB from Oxford ,we had around a dozen of those vehicles based in Pressed Steel with a separate traffic office in the plant as well. Pressed Steel had a plant at Glasgow ,i think they done Albion pressings etc ,we had a weekly run to there with two Leyland six wheelers with inter factory supplies ( these were 8 wheelers with the 2 nd axle removed by workshops for that job )for some reason. the trailers were also used by us on general but they were limited to 8 tons ,they were heavy with the Anthony hydraulics and steel tailboard etc .useless info i know ! .

toshboy:

JAKEY:

Hi Jakey.
I cannot be sure of anything ,the fleet number prefix is 80e .Oxford registration plate though on unit ,The only Prestcold factory was at Cowley (very much later moved to Theale)- Oxford fleet was 44G . as we covered the whole of GB from Oxford ,we had around a dozen of those vehicles based in Pressed Steel with a separate traffic office in the plant as well. Pressed Steel had a plant at Glasgow ,i think they done Albion pressings etc ,we had a weekly run to there with two Leyland six wheelers with inter factory supplies ( these were 8 wheelers with the 2 nd axle removed by workshops for that job )for some reason. the trailers were also used by us on general but they were limited to 8 tons ,they were heavy with the Anthony hydraulics and steel tailboard etc .useless info i know ! .

Does the trailer have a Scammell coupling? The legs look interesting enough to be “different”

David

Hello Toshboy,

Very interesting info, to me its not a Oxford wagon because of the fleet number ! but like you say Prestcold was a Oxford contract ,would a wagon like that of been doing long distance deliveries , it looked like a local wagon because of its size.

5thwheel:

toshboy:

JAKEY:

Hi Jakey.

Does the trailer have a Scammell coupling? The legs look interesting enough to be “different”

Hi 5thwheel,
No the trailers were Carrimore 25 ft , the trailer legs retracted(hand crank) to about 45 degrees only,units were the normal 5th coupling ,brakes were vacuum auto coupled , vac unit on trailer changed to operating rods for rear axle.-toshboy

David

JAKEY:
Hello Toshboy,

Very interesting info, to me its not a Oxford wagon because of the fleet number ! but like you say Prestcold was a Oxford contract ,would a wagon like that of been doing long distance deliveries , it looked like a local wagon because of its size.

Hi Jakey , A normal wagon , they were not often double decked because of the nature of fridges that was why trailers were high sided ,three drop down sides so the loads were light (8 ton max). sheeting easy light roping damage limitation etc .you could get about 15 /20 drops around north and Scotland so not local , we reported as normal to BRS depots for return loads ,they were not exclusive to Prestcold , i at times would be given that work and once got caught for a load of engineering bricks as a return, that one i do remember clear as day!. they had to be connected to the dedicated Saurer because of the pto fitment . the worst part of the job was having to put up with a crap unit .

toshboy:

5thwheel:

toshboy:

JAKEY:

Hi Jakey.

Hi 5thwheel,
No the trailers were Carrimore 25 ft , the trailer legs retracted(hand crank) to about 45 degrees only,units were the normal 5th coupling ,brakes were vacuum auto coupled , vac unit on trailer changed to operating rods for rear axle
.-

Thanks for the confirmation Toshboy.

David

David

Chris ADR , look at this I found on face book , look closely and your see BA (start of the fleet number) ,if only we had the rest of the number and you could put a drivers name the wagon ?

Lorry driver of the year comptetion , peter Bennett (now Veron freight ex Bennetts of Thame, Gordon Sheppard ex Sheppard freight ex Bl driver,Andy May (mu cousin ,car transport driver now but a bloody good removal man ).

JAKEY:
Chris ADR , look at this I found on face book , look closely and your see BA (start of the fleet number) ,if only we had the rest of the number and you could put a drivers name the wagon ?

Hi Steve, sorry not replied before, bit chaotic at home got new windows/doors/facias/guttering etc etc going on, with work/nights out not been on here for a couple of weeks :unamused: Great pic mate, I wonder where it was taken, far from Oxford? interesting you can see that at the time our Fleet was suffering an identity crisis, with some wagons having British Leyland/Austin Morris/BL Cars/Leyland Cars/Austin Rover Group stickers having a mixture on doors/headboards etc, this one has got 2 different on the doors :open_mouth: Chris

Chris , I cannot recall where it was ,but I know it was not in the uk .

JAKEY:
Chris , I cannot recall where it was ,but I know it was not in the uk .

Malta maybe? Where a lot of old British iron ends up :exclamation: Chris

Another pic’ of Old Den’ for you Steve :smiley: Chris

JAKEY:

Jakey,

The drivers name was Austin Power,or so it says on the door!!!

Edit,just noticed it reads Austin Rover on the door,not Austin Power! …doh!

David

‘POWER’ :open_mouth: A Buffalo with an L12 in it :unamused: Behave :laughing: :laughing: Chris

Chris , Den’s Roadtrain was a bloody good wagon,and I know it was always mint , top driver was Den , great photo .