Old Firms in Oxford Area

This is my new ride, Y reg and immaculate by skip standards. I do mostly the sorted waste from their transfer station to recycling yards and Crappers’ tip at Wootton Bassett.

Found on Facebook, my Dads’ first 8 wheeler and his favourite wagon in the 36 or so years he worked for them. Gardner 270 and Eaton twin splitter. He was given it around 1990 when Gill Mill opened, mainly running to Crendon Concrete.

I look out for you Nathan , what haapened at your last firm then ?, also I know Robbie who drives the Merc skip wagon .

JAKEY:
I look out for you Nathan , what haapened at your last firm then ?, also I know Robbie who drives the Merc skip wagon .

I think Robbie is the longest serving employee or is but one. He’s a really nice bloke, does the Oxford area.
I was busy on the grab in the old job but the others weren’t. In my last week I did 2x12 hour days so there was work, but my boss wasn’t. I wasn’t bothered though, I now work less hours for more money. :sunglasses:

Threads gone quiet so remember this lot from Thame :smiley: Chris

Been working here for a month driving this. Got it all tidied up and they gave me a 17 plate on my birthday.

Morning all,
Threads gone a bit quiet so thought i “wood” add a picture many will remember of Timbet at ■■■■■■■
We spoke a while ago about this depot and I have come accross this little book I was given when I delivered my last ERF there.
Harvey

I did a lot of work at Timbmets’ when I was on for Smiths, best part of 15 years ago. They spent a fortune rebuilding the yard and access roads at the ■■■■■■ end and then shut the depot. Seemed a massive waste of money, unless they owned it and sold it for building?

Harvey ,thank you for the update ,here is my photo of a Timbmet wagon from a long time ago , CHRIS ADR your know the driver !!!

JAKEY:
Harvey ,thank you for the update ,here is my photo of a Timbmet wagon from a long time ago , CHRIS ADR your know the driver !!!

Hi “Jakey”, I used to deal with the chap who ran the workshops, Jim Pitts, remember him ■■?, or was he after your time there.The lads in the workshop played a rotten trick on the night watchman one night.
About this time of the year, they made up a witch on a broomstick and riged it to a wire during the day with a screech gadgit attatched.
About 2 in the morning on this cold quiet night the srceech mike kicked in and this thing appeared between the slats on a barn up the hill and it ran down and over his hut making a noise to wake the dead.
He ran to his car and F****d off home in quick order.
He would’nt answer the phone in the morning so Jim shot out to his house to say sorry and own up.
Think he went on to days. Harvey

My old Daf loading at Basf Slinfold with printing ink probably for Wapping?

JAKEY:

Hi Steve, yes mate that’s Dave Harris, he was on Timbmet for a few years, he had a bad accident on there when he was untying a load & the ropes/straps broke & the load of Timber fell on him, Timbmet offered him a figure & keep his job but he refused it & took them to Court, he won the case & got a settlement much larger than he had been offered :smiley: I first met him when we started the same day on Air Products Didcot, he sadly passed away a couple of years ago, the big ‘C’ got him! Chris

Andrew Morrison:
My old Daf loading at Basf Slinfold with printing ink probably for Wapping?0

Looks like someone had washed it for you Andy :wink: that was nice of them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Chris

Hi all.
Not sure that this one has been on before but its from a Company that I used to admire ,whilst perhaps better known for their gravel extractions around the Abingdon area. they also had a large fleet of Bedford artics on Pressed Steel car bodies to the Midlands and when nationalisation came ( brs) they had to reduce to 25 mile radius from Cowley so they moved their operating centre to Banbury giving them access to Coventry and continue serving Pressed steel — smart move --tosh boy

J.Curtis and long rivals Tuckwells now tied in together via Sheehans.

toshboy:
0Hi all.
Not sure that this one has been on before but its from a Company that I used to admire ,whilst perhaps better known for their gravel extractions around the Abingdon area. they also had a large fleet of Bedford artics on Pressed Steel car bodies to the Midlands and when nationalisation came ( brs) they had to reduce to 25 mile radius from Cowley so they moved their operating centre to Banbury giving them access to Coventry and continue serving Pressed steel — smart move --tosh boy

Interesting stuff there toshboy, almost takes us back to the start of the thread! Are we talking about the same J. Curtis that had a yard down the Botley road? If so, presumably they would have kept that on as well.
As an aside, the Bedford in the picture is exactly like the last wagon my dad drove, in about 1953, as an attempt to get into O/D, but it didn’t work out. I posted about it on here somewhere, some years back.

Big G-unit , not seen you on here posting for a long timeeee !

Interesting to know you were on Curtis;s of Oxford , did you know Big Ron Willmott "rocket ron " RIP and Ross “REG” Skinner , he tells me the name “REG” was started on Curtis !! still about ! 90 years old andlooks the same as when he retired on Brs Oxford ,still got his house in Risinghurst but I think has a lady friend in Abingdon .

Reg has been down my yard a couple of times in the last few months ! ,very dry wit !!

Think we got our wires crossed somewhere here Jakey! I wasn’t ever on J Curtis, sorry if I gave that impression. I was only asking about Toshboy’s post, as I never knew of Curtis’ running out of Banbury. I do remember them down Botley though & that would have been later than that time. Hope Toshboy can throw some light on it.

[/attachment]

HRS:
Morning all,
Threads gone a bit quiet so thought i “wood” add a picture many will remember of Timbet at ■■■■■■■
We spoke a while ago about this depot and I have come accross this little book I was given when I delivered my last ERF there.
Harvey

Here is my old ex Timbmet ERF EC8

[attachment=0]ERF EC8Timbmet.jpg