Old Firms in Oxford Area

JAKEY:
Chris , I thought it was a Mastiff , I have a photo on my old phone .

You’re probably right Steve, it was well tucked in wasn’t it, we did our best ‘Bear Grills’ to get in there for a better look :wink: :laughing: . Chris

We must go back soon , watch that bloody dog though !!! :open_mouth:

JAKEY:
We must go back soon , watch that bloody dog though !!! :open_mouth:

Mmmm, what did the Lady say? ‘He’s OK, but he can be a bit of a Bugger’, 8 stone of Rottweiller hanging off your Gonads :open_mouth: that would bugger most blokes I think :unamused: :laughing:
Anyway, where are you getting these Leyland pics mate■■? The Mandator with one the Rover SD1 body carriers I would say is a Rover, Solihull wagon, although we had most of those trailers at Cowley, it’s not one of ours, but then I not sure when Rover Fleet changed their colours to Green & White? The Marathon may to be a Rover wagon too, because neither Cowley or Longbridge ran Marathons, at Cowley as you know we had Mastiff’s/Clydesdale/Mandator & Buffalos, Longbridge had a much smaller Fleet & were mainly Scammell Crusader’s. The Marathon could be from the Leyland, Lancs fleet though, they always ran whatever Leyland’s top mark was at the time.
As far as Rush Green goes mate, my Mrs works Saturdays for half-day so any day you’re free me & Charlie will be more than happy to go, I’ll buy breakfast :smiley: Chris

adr:
Memory Lane for you again Eddie. Chris

Cheers for the pic Chris :smiley: tho’ a bit off track, Dean Court 7 ok but on the wrong bus that one wouldn’t have got under the station bridge in my time there. Lower body types like 166 in this photo for routes under both Cowley and Oxford Station bridges.
Eddie

Scan0001.jpg

oiltreader:
Going back a bit.
Oily

Bloody ell my dad drove for BJ Henry’s can remember I had to hide coming back into cowley sometimes my brother as well & he’s 10 yrs older so imagine how squashed I was in that ol Albion lol

JAKEY:
Andrew is Buffalo still about ?

Hi Jakey yes he is

Thank you Andrew , last time I saw him was at the football ground at Milton interchange ,he was wiping the paintwork and windows on a old ford transit minibus ,that was at least ten years ago though .

Hi BigG-Unit .

Congratulations on reaching 100 pages ,being local obviously this thread has given me a great deal of pleasure over the past 9 years ,lets hope we can keep on going a bit further --thankyou toshboy

JAKEY:
Thank you Andrew , last time I saw him was at the football ground at Milton interchange ,he was wiping the paintwork and windows on a old ford transit minibus ,that was at least ten years ago though .

Hi jakey last see him at his retirement party couple years ago but I have a friend who still ol keeps in touch with him.

Thank you Andrew , he didn’t like others touching his wagon if I recall seeing or some one told me .

Hi Oily, PWL 415 and I think two other COMS Regents along with two Regals OFC 377 & 388 went north to join Burnetts fleet at Mintlaw. I think both Regals are now preserved and have been for many years now.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Hi Oily, PWL 415 and I think two other COMS Regents along with two Regals OFC 377 & 388 went north to join Burnetts fleet at Mintlaw. I think both Regals are now preserved and have been for many years now.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Thanks for the info Leyland 600 :smiley: did a bit o’ sleuthing and found this public.fotki.com/boballoa/1/bur … html#media .
Oily

Thanks for the link Oily, I do know Bob and have shared various photos etc, he has some excellent Scottish fairground and general haulage albums.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hi all,
Great thread and congratulations on the 100th page.
Peter Cook International, at Carterton, I supplied a few ERF’s.
Had to paint everthing white, wings, mirrors, handles, 5th wheel etc even the grill trim had to be white.
Are they still going ■■ they traded in parts for beds,springs, casters etc, Peter was allways away doing deals with suppliers, India mainly.
Never see one of his trucks on this site ■■ Harvey

adr:

JAKEY:

Love these Steve :smiley: NFC 156T was Roger ‘Trucker’ Shayler’s wagon. Very touchy about his motor was Roger, hated anyone else driving it! The Freighters started arriving a while after I had left & had gone onto Luker’s, although Jim Grey (RIP) had one FCW 329W, I’ve got a pic of it somewhere I will dig it out. Chris

Here you go Steve, not a very good pic but this was Jim Grey’s Cruiser, the 1st one to join the Cowley fleet. Chris

Thank you chris , yes that was the one which I recall being not on the road ,I think it was on the engines .

JAKEY:
Thank you chris , yes that was the one which I recall being not on the road ,I think it was on the engines .

It must have been retired onto locals then Steve when the Roadtrains came, because Jim was on the spare group that did all the Motor Shows & European work etc, this went all over the place with him when it first came. Chris

Chris,that must of been a demo at some stage or a the earliest t45 cab I seen , it was the reg number for sure ,on shunting for years .

Hi Chris , was jim on the cb then ? I can see his cb twig ?

Perhaps more suited to the BRS thread but as this was an Oxford Group (long lane) lorry its of local interest . Going by the reg number it would of been around 1950 ?,
Its possible that someone could throw some light on the subject ? .my time at Long Lane i never heard of the incident ,it intrigues me to where ,when , and how . so lets have your theories what could have happened .