Old Firms in Oxford Area

JAKEY:
Hello Ivor , the chap in the light blue overalls was the late Gordon Cullimore from Cowley (first or second house up the hill from Cowley centre) , he was a driver but by the time I was in the workshops at Oxford depot he was on the forklift and was a yard man ,squeaky voice Gordon .!!! good old boy , thank you for your kind words , Chris ,yes any time you want to go to RUSH GREEN LET ME KNOW ? .

Hello Steve , Thanks for the reply , no i cannot place Gordon at all but Fred 's name does ring a bell -must have been a long server , my thoughts in contacting you was Colin Gardner i saw a resemblance there ,not surprising after all it was my time early 50s and a lot of water under the bridge since then :exclamation: :laughing: ivor

JAKEY:
Hi Keith , no its Oxford , I only collect Oxford photos but have a few Swindon ones as well .

Cheers JAKEY , thanks for that , years ago remember seeing BRS using the A361 Banbury , Chipping Norton road , with those awkward car frame trailers , bet that was not an easy route to the West Mids , did Cowley drivers use that road ? regards Keith .

Does anyone remember Bob Blowing (as the wind) used to drive BRS from U building, Pressed steel Cowley with Rover bodies up to Solihull,

Rover transport Oxford depot .

How about this one Chris :slight_smile: .
Cheers Eddie

oiltreader:
Cheers Eddie

Seems odd that it’s Alan Grimmett collection when the pic was taken by me & posted on here a couple of years ago Eddie? The nearest TM was Basil Cobbs & the farthest 1 was Dads. Chris

adr:

oiltreader:
Cheers Eddie

Seems odd that it’s Alan Grimmett collection when the pic was taken by me & posted on here a couple of years ago Eddie? The nearest TM was Basil Cobbs & the farthest 1 was Dads. Chris

Had it in the back of my mind I had seen somewhere before Chris, anyway Alan Grimmett does not make any claim on it and I doubt he would have lifted it from this thread, this might go some way to explaining how he come by it, a qoute from his flickr site “Sharing a huge bundle of photographs and old Cutting’s from various magazine’s, and publicity brochures Purchased from a boot fair. And some southern BRS of my own Please Enjoy and share.” as a courtesy I added his name and have now taken it off
Cheers
Eddie

Sept. last.
Oily

While I’m at it, a couple more.
Oily

Oxford cr Emily Jenkins cc by nc 2.0 4033760335_23b895fba8ej_o.jpg

oiltreader:

adr:

oiltreader:
Cheers Eddie

Had it in the back of my mind I had seen somewhere before Chris, anyway Alan Grimmett does not make any claim on it and I doubt he would have lifted it from this thread, this might go some way to explaining how he come by it, a qoute from his flickr site “Sharing a huge bundle of photographs and old Cutting’s from various magazine’s, and publicity brochures Purchased from a boot fair. And some southern BRS of my own Please Enjoy and share.” as a courtesy I added his name and have now taken it off
Cheers
Eddie

Hi Eddie, I’m not bothered about it, I don’t get prescious about photos I would rather they were seen & enjoyed, it just amazes me how far photos travel & where they end up, the pic I posted on this thread of me aged about 7 sat on the bonnet of Dads Mobil Scammell Highwayman I have seen on many different sites/threads etc other than Trucknet. Regards Chris

I bet that Quattro artic was going to Earthline at Shipton. If you like to play “spot the rough artic tipper driven by a mad flip flop” then anywhere between Headington and Shipton’s the place to be.

Muckaway:
I bet that Quattro artic was going to Earthline at Shipton. If you like to play “spot the rough artic tipper driven by a mad flip flop” then anywhere between Headington and Shipton’s the place to be.

I don’t know exactly where they are from but Quattro seem to have a fair sized fleet, see them a lot up around London, kit always looks quite tidy. Chris

Revival.
Oily

oiltreader:
Revival.
Oily

Oh nice find Eddie :smiley: , that’s one of our old Clydesdale’s from my time on British Leyland, Cowley, I will have driven her at some point. If I remember right that was Arthur Kitchen’s wagon, looks like the driver is wearing a tie & Arthur always did, he also never wore the blue drivers uniform always preferring comfy trousers & a brown knee length smock/coat so he always looked like a storeman? There is a picture of me somewhere on the Oxford thread standing next to & sat in sister wagon NFC 303T, this was Fred Bartlett’s but it had a Tautliner body because Fred used to do a lot of show car work with it. We must have had about 12 of these 4-wheeler Clydesdale’s at Cowley, the ones with the Tautliner body on were a bit of a better ride due to the weight of the body, but the Flats with the dropside bodies were real bone shakers, & the side-boards used to rattle/clang if you were on anything other than a motorway :unamused: . 2 of the Tautliner/Clydesdale were driven up to Birmingham area every day by ‘Jumbo’ Tidbury & ‘Dutchy’ Wharton, they did collection/delivery to different sides of Birmingham, usually taking returns & Promotional/newsprint/magazines etc from Nuffield Press Oxford on the way up, & collecting parts etc from suppliers to return for production. Jumbo always wore a tie too. Jakey these names must jog your memory mate :bulb: PS, if you look where the pic was taken, I bet if you took the same pic today there would be another 20 vehicles in the shot :confused: . Chris

Andrew Morrison:
See this last week in fleet services being pulled by a Scottish motor I think with a moffit on back I think buffalo had this trl last on cowley’s without moffit lol0

Remember working for the Cannon brothers working on the coal contract,until i was sacked by Philip Cannon for leaving a truck at the pit(Baddesley) although it wasn’t the truck i drove up there.

Remember my dad drove for them as he used to bring the truck home when we lived at Blackbird Leys in the 70’s.

Oxyman29:
Remember my dad drove for them as he used to bring the truck home when we lived at Blackbird Leys in the 70’s.

Hi Oxyman29, I knew quite a few lorry and bus drivers who lived on the Leys at that time, me personally 17 years from '63, main watering holes were the Blackbird and the Bullnose, not a bad area then to live, though got a bit of a reputation later on.
Oily

A couple to wake up the thread.
Oily

Oxford Richard 35565750380_af87148c47_rs k.jpg

Going back a bit.
Oily

oiltreader:
A couple to wake up the thread.
Oily

Hi oilreader, Is Mor Cross still trading ? Havent seen them for over 15 years. Harvey