Old Cafe's

Mind you when I used to run London trips in the 50/ 60s, Toneys in Mansell Street Tower Hill London, THe grub in there was first class, Steak & Chips with bread and butter and tea. IIRC 6 bob in the old money,The good old days IMOO, Sadley there isnt a lot of my matess that I worked with are still about, Old Bobby Meggs that I worked with at Smiles for Miles in the 60s is still about in his 90s,Regards Larry.

Deesider:

Tankerman:
There was another good cafe before the M45 at Dunsmore, .

Any names spring to mind regarding the location or name of the cafe.

Russell.

I think this was called ‘Bob’s Cafe’ at Stretton on Dunsmore. On the A45 about half a mile before it became the M45.

The last time I went past it was a couple of years ago, (it’s right next to a Texaco filling station.)
A brick building, timber sheets covering the windows, 3 foot high weeds growing in the parking area and concrete blocks at the entrances to discourage the ‘illegal campers’ or [zb], as they are sometimes known. :laughing:

There must be dozens like that, all over Britain - a sign of the times, although it surprises me - I’d always thought there was money to be made in any type of catering. You obviously need to be in a good location though. Once a bye-pass or new stretch of motorway is opened you lose most of your passing trade at a stroke, and although your regulars will continue to call if you are not too far off a junction or slip road, once those old customers retire or go on other routes for other employers for example, then there are no new customers to replace them.
I sometimes get the impression that the newer drivers feel more comfortable sticking to the motorways and main routes, and are reluctant to experiment and go on alternative 'cross-country ’ shorter, more direct A roads - or maybe their sat-navigation just doesn’t let them! :stuck_out_tongue:
Another thing - taking the quieter A roads would mean not being on cruise-control for hours on end each day and not being able to drive on the limiter constantly, and actually have to do some proper ‘driving’ for a change, different gears for different hills, a bit of stopping and starting at lights and roundabouts, etc. :stuck_out_tongue:
Perhaps that’s the real reason…Bloody young 'uns nowadays!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The filling station is still there and supplies fuel branded Harvest Energy, there is also a small Spar outlet there.
The main building that was Bobs cafe stood derelict for many years after closing and it was sad to see as I pass it on my way to and from work in Rugby.
However it has recently been totally refurbished as a sale /administration centre for a used vehicle (cars and vans)business. Guest Motors.
The lorry park has been fenced off from the adjacent A45 and is used to store / display the companies vehicles.
The refurbishment has restored the building and the whole site looks very tidy.
When driving for Oldhams we would often stop for an early breakfast at Bobs before continuing south with motor spares from AP Banbury for drops around London , motor parts for export via London docks (yes London used to have working docks) or vehicle parts for Vauxhall at Luton from Lockheed Leamington.

bigdigger :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Howdy dafdave,
I remember the Ranch, used to be a Change-over for J&H Transport if I recall , my favourite on the A5 was The Bridge cafe at Redbourne
to the west of St. Albans. also May’s Cafe North of Towcester was a good pull- in. The Towers and Jack’s Hill Groups were some more that I used.On the grotty side, Durose at Newcastle u/LymeA34, Vonnies at Scotch Corner A1/A68,and the Wilderness at Airdrie on A74 were the pits!!
Dougal.

traction man:
Howdy dafdave,
I remember the Ranch, used to be a Change-over for J&H Transport if I recall , my favourite on the A5 was The Bridge cafe at Redbourne
to the west of St. Albans. also May’s Cafe North of Towcester was a good pull- in. The Towers and Jack’s Hill Groups were some more that I used.On the grotty side, Durose at Newcastle u/LymeA34, Vonnies at Scotch Corner A1/A68,and the Wilderness at Airdrie on A74 were the pits!!
Dougal.

I spent a couple of sleepless nights in the Durose while my Terrier was being repaired in Lex Tillotsons. I will not attempt to describe the dorms or the atmosphere. The lorry park looked like a Calledonian depot and those guys could party, sleep and ■■■■ in a waste oil plant. Jim.

Jacks Hill, just outside Baldock. Stopped there just the once. The lady behind the counter had enormous what-nots which meant having to sit facing the kitchen to “Ahem” study them which encouraged her to stoop at every opportunity. Trouble was, she was diverting our attention whilst the occupants of the travellers camp at the back syphoned our fridges (petrol Onan powered Thermo Kings), Jim.

Seem to recall early 70s Georgie Vales just of five ways crossroads Buxton heading up A53 Leek rd.

phop:
Seem to recall early 70s Georgie Vales just of five ways crossroads Buxton heading up A53 Leek rd.

I seem to recall you navigate by cafes Sam :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bit before your time youn dan’l good breakfast mushrooms from the tunnel

Jacks Hill is one that seems fairly busy even nowadays. I often stop there as opposed to any others in the area simply cos the food is ok.
Was it the Red Bull at Junc 16 of the M1? Someone mentioned the ‘other one’ at Crick where Stobbies is now. That was a dire place.
Everything has been about cafes so far but one place that has just closed is Rodneys on the A3. It was the little caravan type but has been there with the same owner for 31 years!!! Heading north towards London, it was in the layby just after the road opened out again after Hindhead. Rodney is as mad as a March hare … he would pay you to have a coffee!! When you went to pay, he always said ‘Pay what you think it is worth’. His bacon sarnies were a delight. Why has he closed??
Because finally, after all these years, they have started digging to build the tunnel under Hindhead! Oh joy!! 4 years of roadworks in a place that is already a bottleneck.
Rodney got Downing Street and all the local papers involved but all to no avail. He had a letter from whatever poxy Government department it was telling him, he would be moved on 28th May. I went past last Wednesday and he was gone

The one you were talking about @ jnct. 16 on the M1 was “The Red Lion” just off the M1and there was a massive layby were we all used to park overnight :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: !

As far as I know it is still open and serving wagon drivers cos, one of our drivers uses it regularly (I am told) also does anyone remember “The Dell” @ Watford (this used to be before the days of the M25) as then when I last used it the M25 was still on the drawing board as the first stretch was being started at Rickmansworth! :unamused: :unamused: :astonished: :astonished:

Ad Infinitum :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :unamused:

I remember the Dell @ Watford very well.Nearly impossible to get in because it was always full of London Brick lorries.

Ok lets talk about cafes. Who remembers the following.The Blue Pencil on the A23 between Gatwick and Crawley. Alfs ar Runfold on A31 The Dolly Varden @ Bagshot.Opposite was Berts gone mad. The Rainbow @ Basingstoke. The Ridgeway @ Marlborough. Sorry thats all for now. Matron says I have to go back to my room. Its nearly lock up time.

Quick update on the derelict routier at Fontenay. Went past last week and all seems much the same except that the pink Leyland and the Merc have disappeared (actually the chassis may still be there, the grass is much higher now) but the Renault remains, albeit even tattier.
Didn’t have time to divert round to see if L’Oasis at St. Jean de Beugné is still open. Doesn’t anybody use this route to the SW anymore? :open_mouth:
Up that way again next week, will see if I have the time for a little diversion.

Spardo:
Didn’t have time to divert round to see if L’Oasis at St. Jean de Beugné is still open. Doesn’t anybody use this route to the SW anymore? :open_mouth:

Most people seem to stick to the Autoroute I believe Spardo rather than coming off at J7 and going via La Rochelle :cry: More fool them they are missing out on some cheap diesel and fantastic cuisine :wink:

Many years ago (as steersman) was more than pleasantly surprised when after loading with concrete beams at Barnby moor we stayed in the new BLUE BOAR Cafe at nearby BLYTHE.
What a place for those days, your own room and preferential treatment/serving in the cafe.

I notice that on checking google earth, that the Blue Boar has gone the way of many others.

I used to stop at Durose at Newcastle -U-L. when I was a Trailer mate at Brady’s and I carried on staying there regularly when I started on my own ! It served the purpose as far as I was concerned :wink: We used to use it for changing trailers during the night when we were busy so our lads returned South next morning with an outbound load for the S. East. We also used to stay regularly at The Three Sisters on the A5 at Markyate although we only used the “Big” café down near the M1 junction when we needed an extra early call otherwise we never stayed there “voluntarily like” :blush: Cheers Bewick.

haa BEWICK 1965 my very first nIght out was at DUROES i drove a comer 4 wheeler ,loaded with concrete garage panels from sturdy concrete BRACKLEY TO AROUND MANCHESTER I HAD ,NO IDEA,no map, no night out bag ,no idea how to fill the blue log book in with the carbon copy, the spare wheel was stolen from on top of the load, the ropes were cut.i drove and delivered all day, and and got home about 4 in the morning for £5 A DAY AS A OWNER DRIVER I LASTED ONE WEEK TWO TRIPS…my education had then begun and it lasted untill 2002…i had been in some rough old places,all over the world, but that cafe took the biscuit…no phone handy if i remember correct? because i did not call anyone to report the wheel gone pdb.

Just to resurrect this thread,does anyone remember the 3 transport cafe’s within 5 miles going North out of Newcastle under Lyme on the A34?.
There was the Durose Cafe at Chesterton,The Lodge Cafe,(Sometimes known as Bob Manleys),just before Talke,and The Mousetrap at Talke crossroads.The Durose and Mousetrap closed many years ago with the opening of the M6,but The Lodge only closed a few years ago.

no

Jungle cafe at Shap dating back to the 50s / 60s
thats still there

aint read many posts, anyone already mentioned this?