Old Cafe's

curnock:

Spardo:
Just had a brief look but had to tear myself away. But, apart from the cringe making opening scenes, it did bring back some good memories. :laughing:

why do lorry driver related programs always seem to paint the driver as a ■■■ starved beer swilling cab happy caveman ■■.it annoys me

Me too. Also the lack of any real knowledge of the real transport world. Do they not employ people who know the job?

Cracked me up when an episode of The Brothers had the load from a hi-jacked 32 tonner transferred into a transit van. :laughing:

Just pinched this off Frank Sleddon’s Facebook page, hope you don’t mind Frank.

Memories of travelling with Uncle Jack Clarke in George C Croasdale’s 1956 Leyland Beaver, with double axle pole trailer, carrying round timber, usually to Wigan or Bolton area. Brother Andy on the passenger seat, me on the engine. Square ‘Smiths’ instruments on the dash, sort of pearlescent.

We would pull up here for a break sometimes.

John.

Not actually to do with cafes, but prompted by my previous post. How many of us grew up wanting to be lorry drivers because we went with our Dads/Uncles etc. in school holidays? Is that even allowed now with insurance and delivery site restrictions?

John.

John West:

Memories of travelling with Uncle Jack Clarke in George C Croasdale’s 1956 Leyland Beaver, with double axle pole trailer, carrying round timber, usually to Wigan or Bolton area. Brother Andy on the passenger seat, me on the engine. Square ‘Smiths’ instruments on the dash, sort of pearlescent.

John.

Cracking photo there John, I quite often stayed there It was a good clean place, Plus the grub was good, A bit noisey at night with the Trunkers but If youwere tired it didnt bother you, I first stayed there about 1959/60, En route from Manchester to Rutherglen, The good old days IMO, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry…

Lawrence Dunbar:

John West:

John.

Cracking photo there John, I quite often stayed there It was a good clean place, Plus the grub was good, A bit noisey at night with the Trunkers but If youwere tired it didnt bother you, I first stayed there about 1959/60, En route from Manchester to Rutherglen, The good old days IMO, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

So, no ‘Dirty ■■■■’s’ over the road for you Larry?

John West:
Not actually to do with cafes, but prompted by my previous post. How many of us grew up wanting to be lorry drivers because we went with our Dads/Uncles etc. in school holidays? Is that even allowed now with insurance and delivery site restrictions?

John.

Well I allways wanted to be a wagon driver, Of course it must have been in my genes, My Grandfather was a heavey haulage driver, His brother Isaac Smiles who founded Smiles for Miles whom I worked for at one time, Then my great uncle Tommy Boiston my Grandmothers brother had a few wagons in the village where I lived in the 30/40s, Mostley Bedfords in those days I used to go with them during the school holidays, But as you say all the rules & regs these days have most likley put a stop to it with all the H A S , Of course these are things that we never forget do we, My Grandson who is now 27 used to come with me on a Sat, He loved it.Even my Grandaughter who 30 used to do it odd times, Regards Larry.

John West:

Lawrence Dunbar:

John West:

John.

Cracking photo there John, I quite often stayed there It was a good clean place, Plus the grub was good, A bit noisey at night with the Trunkers but If youwere tired it didnt bother you, I first stayed there about 1959/60, En route from Manchester to Rutherglen, The good old days IMO, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

Defo not, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

When I used to do a Sat.Load to Leeds I used to stop at the Quernhow Cafe at Sinderbey on the way back My grandson used to have scrambled egg with 2 sausages and a cup of tea , Thats 20 years ago & he still remembers those days,Regards Larry.PS, Heres a photo of him in the Leyland that his uncle Nigel had.

Don’t know if mentioned or remembered but I can remember a caravan cafe in a lay by on the A6 at Garstang called the “Restawhile”. I remember stopping with my father in the 50s early sixties. Dynamite sausage sarnies and salad sarnies with onion which I can still taste…and a bottle of Tizer or Jusoda ! Still make 'em myself the same way (the sarnies) and it evokes my childhood days of travelling with my father all over the country - mostly sitting on the engine cover as he used to remove the passenger seat and keep his tarps and ropes there to keep safe and dry when not used. Always remember the blue atmosphere in the cab as he used to smoke - ah well passive smoke has’nt got me yet! I do remember sitting, waiting in many gatehouses of industrial sites while dad loaded on the plant. Cups of tea and a comic to read waiting with the watchman! Happy days though.

John West:

John.

Thats how it happend with me John,my uncle Joe used to drive tankers for “Joseph Crossfields” in Warrington,the highlight of our trips to the family in the north were a few rides with our uncle,

Anybody remember “Swiftys Cafe” on the old road between Howden and Gilberdyke,the place closed down after the M62 was built towards Hull,she used to wear little school girl socks,same socks for a week,loveley lady,good food,just not so bothered about personal hygeine

John West:

Lawrence Dunbar:

John West:

John.

Also known by his Sunday name i.e. Filthy Richards !
There used to be bantams and hens pecking away on the floor behind the counter, I don’t believe they ever got fed properly they just cleaned up the bits that ■■■■ dropped on the floor and it saved him on “cleaning” costs ! :open_mouth: Bewick.

Drove past the Halfway at Tern HIll this week, now a posh ish fish and chip shop, remember spending many a happy hour there on route back from the midlands, , Irene, and the little “chef” - think that may be over egging it a little :open_mouth: :blush: …, good selection of parish magazines :open_mouth: , and those pin ball machines…was Irene’s sister an owner driver…Kay?, had a Scania artic tipper, her brother worked at Furbers scrap yard, bumped into him a few years ago whilst looking for F10 bits.
Was a wooden shack then, looks quite posh now…no puddle in the car park LOL

I might have mentioned this before but the cafe at Shirleywitch where Ed Wheetmans is now.We went there on a Sunday night after performing at a folk club at the Clifford Alms and Egg and Chips ( at 80 couldn’t do it now after a few pints) a lot of drivers stopped for a break then with their red E.R.F.s playing cards and having a good “putting the world to rights” talk and perhaps a game of cards.

Now the boring bit.When I did my National service Basic Training we went on a night exersise from the camp at Bridgenorth to stop some trainee officers getting to Shawbury.We had a briefing showing the map where they were going to be let off and I thought that was local,in fact ten miles from home.I had to man the telephone box for messages but I was then instructed to take soup to the blokes managing the bridge at Hoo mill lock but they had to be " invisable" but before I got there you could see the glow of the ■■■■.No wonder we have missiles now. 1959 like you lorry enthusiasts " Those were the days "

Tony

In response to Dafdaves query regarding the cafe on the road skirting Leamington.It was called the Fiveways.Very clean and nice people.They used to slice the bacon off the joint and cook it there and then. Another good cafe gone.

Bugadifino:
Also in a previous post, someone mentioned the Standedge A62, The Motormans cafe was our call for westbound routes. The Motormans is still open & run by Jean who’s owned it for years, taking over when her Mum died in the mid 70’s.

I went past there the other week, It looked boarded up :frowning:
used to call in there regular a few years back when I had a lock up in Diggle

charlie one:
In response to Dafdaves query regarding the cafe on the road skirting Leamington.It was called the Fiveways.Very clean and nice people.They used to slice the bacon off the joint and cook it there and then. Another good cafe gone.

dafdave

Thanks charlie thats the one.

regards dave

I think it was “dafdave” who was asking about the cafe at Longton on the A59.

I remember it as “Ribblesdale” cafe in the early 70,s then “The Silent Seventh” just before they opened the M58 as the A59 was the main trunk route through Burscough to Liverpool Docks. :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :unamused:

There was also “Nancies” @ Rufford near to Rufford Old Hall again on the A59 and just past that was “The Oasis” which was Walter Southworth,s old yard who had Leyland Octopus,s (the ones with the split screen) and after that there was nothing till Liverpool Docks. :unamused: :unamused:

As was said the one at “Fiveways” on the Leamington by pass was run by “Sammy” and his wife (who was absolutely gorgeous) and was spotlessly clean and meals were always cooked when you arrived . :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just for the record. A sausage egg and tomato on a slice of bread and a crust lasted all day and was real good from Johns Mobile called moon and sixpence next to M6 jct 16 on A500 must have been good he had one hell of a clientele. Then there was Bacon Bobs just off M6 jct 36 and A65 on old road to Kendal lay bye before diesel fuelling up stop not quite as good as moon and sixpence but just about passable.

Well for whats its worth, I allways fancied having a Transport Cafe in my younger days, I like cooking full English stuff. & I can assure you drivers who like a good feed at breakfast time I would give you the Best, No ■■■■■■■ black lace curtains around the fried eggs for sure, All you would have to say to me is how would you like your food cooked, So I can assure you old drivers thats what you would have on the plate preseneted to you, & Hopefully by a very nice looking waitress with lovely threpenny bits, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: From Old Larry, Im on the old Malts tonight, Im feeling a bit old & tired, But Im sure I will wake up in the morning The 22nd, Because my old best Mate, Arthur Lowdon from Seaton Burn Is 89, My good Lady made him a cake and Our Gillian Our Son Nigels partner did the writing on the cake as the old saying goes,Happy Birthday Arthur, (YOU ■■■■ THING)Happy birthday from the Dunbar Family.Regards Larry.