Old Cafe's

Tipper-driver01:
Jungle cafe at Shap dating back to the 50s / 60s
thats still there

Surely not. :open_mouth: Last time I went past, about 18 months ago it was some commercial premises, and had been for a long time.

Montana Man:
Most people seem to stick to the Autoroute I believe Spardo rather than coming off at J7 and going via La Rochelle More fool them they are missing out on some cheap diesel and fantastic cuisine

Sorry Ian, don’t know how I missed this reply seeing as how it’s my ‘duty’ forum, probably one of the times when the computer crashed down on me. :unamused: :smiling_imp:
You’re certainly right though. It was a regular route for us from Nantes to Bordeaux, but the first time I ran for Gauthier’s all my mates heading in the same direction couldn’t understand how they’d missed me. Then all was revealed :unamused: :laughing:
Did you ever try that big place between La Rochelle and Rochefort, overlooking the sea? Not a conventional routier but seafood to die for. :wink:
:laughing: :unamused:

Spardo:
Sorry Ian, don’t know how I missed this reply seeing as how it’s my ‘duty’ forum, probably one of the times when the computer crashed down on me. :unamused: :smiling_imp:
You’re certainly right though. It was a regular route for us from Nantes to Bordeaux, but the first time I ran for Gauthier’s all my mates heading in the same direction couldn’t understand how they’d missed me. Then all was revealed :unamused: :laughing:
Did you ever try that big place between La Rochelle and Rochefort, overlooking the sea? Not a conventional routier but seafood to die for. :wink:
:laughing: :unamused:

That was always my prefered route going south for many reasons. Firstly the great choice of Routiers and secondly cheaper diesel than the autoroute,particularly the little Shell a village or 2 south of St gemme.
The Oasis being one also the one right at the roundabout at the bottom of the N137 (■■) where you join the twin track down to La Rochelle.
I take it you mean the the “Fish Restaurant” on the left hand side (going south) just south of La Rochelle, about 3 or 4 kms past the Shell stations. I think it is callec L’aire Marin these days and has it’s own junction now. If so yes wonderful place with Crab to die for :smiley: . I guess you really couldn’t find fresher seafood being where it is :wink:
Sadly as more and more villages were bypassed by the autoroutes many drivers came along blissfully unaware of these little treasures just a stones throw of the main drag. Still if you know where they are they are well worth a visit. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Blimey David, curiosity got the better of me so upon googling it I found there website HERE :smiley:

spardo
last time i passed were the jungle cafe used to be they were selling caravans [about ,7yrs ,ago ]

montana man:
:shock: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Blimey David, curiosity got the better of me so upon googling it I found there website HERE :smiley:

Yes., that’s the place (no pun intended :unamused: ), doesn’t look much like a routier inside or out but the 2 truck parks give it away.
L’Oases was always my favourite but I have stopped a couple of times at the one on the roundabout where you park opposite.
A good run down and far less boring (and usually as quick) than the autoroute but so many small villages and narrow roads it wouldn’t surprise me if there was a ban by now. :smiling_imp: Mind you, you are supposed to be allowed access to restaurants even in banned areas, one Ministry man once ok’d an out of hours sans disc diversion ‘because I was going to eat’ :open_mouth: :laughing: .

dafdave:
last time i passed were the jungle cafe used to be they were selling caravans [about ,7yrs ,ago ]

That ties in with my thoughts, wonder if Tipper Driver 01 is thinking of a different place? Or has it re-opened? :open_mouth: If so, bet they won’t have half so much fun, or anguish, watching the arrivers in clouds of smoke from burning brakes rolling in from the bank. :wink: :laughing: Modern wagons just ain’t what they used to be. :laughing:

Spardo
I take it you mean what we used to call the Fish Resturant at Rochfort,its still there and with the same waiter with his tartan trousers,we ate there last Friday. Also remember Lukes on the old road past Nantes airport and also The Flying Sausage on the same road.

If you mean the ones on the D11 near the D262 junction or the one further on on the D937/D117 I know them but not sure which one I have eaten in. :confused:
The only Flying Sausage I know is on the N137 about 4kms N. of Aigrefeuille. Looks good that one, always well attended, but I’ve never eaten there because our regular haunt, Le Relax (yes, another one :unamused: ) was a bit further down near Montaigue. Patron always cooked on the open fire in there 'till he paralysed (and near killed himself) in a moto accident. The bloke that took over the job was good, but not as good. The large lady behind the bar, Michelle, was his wife I think. The restaurant was unusual in the fact that it had a relatively low turnover of staff. The tall, painfully thin girl and the shorter, prettier, but too heavily made up, ones were there for years, and maybe still are.

image.jpgNot sure if this has featured previously on this thread as I haven’t trawled through all 98 pages, but just in case it hasn’t, here’s a shot of the old Blue Peter cafe on the A62 at Standedge.

Taken looking west towards Delph and Oldham, with the possibly better known Motormans café two or three miles east of this spot on the Yorkshire side heading down into Marsden.

I’m not sure if the place was still open when this photograph was taken, as I’m not sure precisely when it was taken. I’d be guessing at around 70/71ish, as most of the cafĂ©s along this route closed shortly after the opening of the M62 over Windy Hill, Motormans being the last one to go if memory serves.

I know for a fact that the place was closed in March 1972, as I dossed down on one of the tables in there one night. The building remaining more or less intact and accessible, although it had obviously been abandoned, with unpaid water rate bills and other final demand letters strewn across the floor.

I believe the building burned to the ground shortly afterwards. " Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away." [ Percy Bysshe Shelley ].

Just as an aside, that looks like a Lancashire United bus to me that’s driving past. Could be wrong of course.

Eddie Heaton:
0Not sure if this has featured previously on this thread as I haven’t trawled through all 98 pages, but just in case it hasn’t, here’s a shot of the old Blue Peter cafe on the A62 at Standedge.

Taken looking west towards Delph and Oldham, with the possibly better known Motormans café two or three miles east of this spot on the Yorkshire side heading down into Marsden.

I’m not sure if the place was still open when this photograph was taken, as I’m not sure precisely when it was taken. I’d be guessing at around 70/71ish, as most of the cafĂ©s along this route closed shortly after the opening of the M62 over Windy Hill, Motormans being the last one to go if memory serves.

I know for a fact that the place was closed in March 1972, as I dossed down on one of the tables in there one night. The building remaining more or less intact and accessible, although it had obviously been abandoned, with unpaid water rate bills and other final demand letters strewn across the floor.

I believe the building burned to the ground shortly afterwards. " Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away." [ Percy Bysshe Shelley ].

Just as an aside, that looks like a Lancashire United bus to me that’s driving past. Could be wrong of course.

Hi Eddie, I used to have a brew in there in the late 50s, The Brun Clough Resivoir next to it was handy for getting water to top up the old radiators, Standedge was quite a heavy pull in those good old days, I remember trundling over there with WTN 58 A 4 wheeler Aki with the 5 pot Gardner engine with 10 ton of Danish bacon on for delivery in Manchester for Ladefoged Ltd in Ancoates Street, It was a good tip a they had a monorail which picked two bales up , The good old happy days IMO Regards Larry.

phop:
Seem to recall early 70s Georgie Vales just of five ways crossroads Buxton heading up A53 Leek rd.

George Vales , known locally as Hell’s Kitchen . If you entered by the back door off Church street you went past the kitchen , flames and smoke everywhere , big tubs of lard by the range , but I agree it was a cracking breakfast .
Another good one was Hughes Bros canteen at Waterswallows quarry , handy when we worked out of Tunstead and cheap ( free to us , gaffer’s mum was manageress ).

Ay up riggers do you remember the cafe heading out of Sheffield past Hillsborough round the corner on rhs bottom of the hill good breakfast

May have told this before, but I’m getting old now!

When I started hauling timber from the Scottish Borders in 1969, I spent many a night in a caravan with my uncle Jack Clarke.

Jack had worked for George C. Croasdale, hauling timber with a 1956 Leyland Beaver BJM *** unit and pole trailer, mostly from the Scottish Borders. Brother Andy and I went with him many times on our summer holidays, mainly to Lancashire and West Yorkshire.

Then he became manager of George Croasdale’s mill, at St. Boswell’s. This would be about 1964. He let me drive his MG Magnette whenever we were on private roads on a timber estate. Heaven for a 16 year old!

In about 1968, he set up on his own and I asked if I could buy a truck and do his haulage when I turned 21 in April 1969.

He told me many trucking stories, which I wish I had written down. In the late forties he had driven a removals van for my Dad, who had a removals firm in Barrow.

Jack used to park the van opposite the post office in Haverthwaite, then he and his codriver ■■■■ Backhouse would set off.

Digs in those days were not what we would expect today. Jack said ■■■■ once woke him at 3.00am. They were in a typical B and B but I can’t remember which one. ■■■■ was, as most were in those days, a smoker. He had woken and pulled his cigarettes and matches from under his pillow to find that they were so damp they wouldn’t light. They set off early

No wonder the pension age was 65 in those days, hardly anyone reached it!

John.

phop:
Ay up riggers do you remember the cafe heading out of Sheffield past Hillsborough round the corner on rhs bottom of the hill good breakfast

I can remember that one Phop but the name is lost in the mists of time . I used the one on the T junction where you came from Rivelin , it’s still there now but you’d not get parked anywhere near these days .

rigsby:

phop:

I can remember that one Phop but the name is lost in the mists of time . I used the one on the T junction where you came from Rivelin , it’s still there now but you’d not get parked anywhere near these days .

I think that café is still open Dave,near Rivelin Post office,but like you say,difficult to park.
The one Phop is on about,would it be the one near Hillfoot Bridge?

Chris it was at the bottom of the hill you could park on the left hand side going back early 70’s

phop:
Chris it was at the bottom of the hill you could park on the left hand side going back early 70’s

Phop,the only one I can think of at bottom of a hill was out at Langsett,past Stocksbridge on the A616,on the r/h side towards Woodhead. It was called Ma’s by everybody and had tablecloths and cups and saucers plus a great breakfast.A lot of Lincs and Norfolk market drivers used it on way home from Lancs.

Chris. Do you remember a steelworks at Hillsborough you had to pull across the road and back in. I loaded a few times in the seventies with steel bar for France. A bit weird as I sometimes got a backload of coil wire for Tinsley Wire. Sorry this hasn’t a lot to do with cafes except there was one at the junction at the steelworks. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Chris. Do you remember a steelworks at Hillsborough you had to pull across the road and back in. I loaded a few times in the seventies with steel bar for France. A bit weird as I sometimes got a backload of coil wire for Tinsley Wire. Sorry this hasn’t a lot to do with cafes except there was one at the junction at the steelworks. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Is that the little one next to Harrison’s yard where all the old Scammells were, Charlie, or am I in the wrong place entirely? :confused:

Ignore me, just Googled it, I was thinking of STP’s at Tinsley. :unamused: :blush:

Spardo:

charlie one:

Is that the little one next to Harrison’s yard where all the old Scammells were, Charlie, or am I in the wrong place entirely? :confused:

Ignore me, just Googled it, I was thinking of STP’s at Tinsley. :unamused: :blush:

There were one or two smaller type steelworks in Hillsborough area Charlie where you had to back in off Penistone Road.
Aye weird backloading wire from France to TWIL but I remember loading French stainless steel out of Goole docks for Sheffield,as it was cheaper than home produced,but not as good. Well it wouldn’t be would it? :laughing:
How are you by the way,are you Mayor of Alton yet?

Hi David I’ve been past Harrison’s yard and as you say wrong. Just remember you can’t be good looking and clever!

Chris. Hello young man. Hope you’re well. No not Mayor. However I am a solicitor. I have been done for soliciting. Fame at last. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing: