OK to overtake?

21-09-10_174058.jpg
On M6 this week overtake a slow truck and as i go past he giving the horn and 1 coffee beans!
not only that he pulled in to lane 2 at 800 yard marker :open_mouth: as i went to over take him. i was on limiter( GPS 57mph! ) estimated he was doing 48- 50 mph, but waited until we are in road works before overtake.

As i see it the M-way has been reduced to a 2 lane section.

excuse photo, as setting wrong on camera, on dash as well

I would have waited, if in doubt do nowt!

bigvern1:
I would have waited, if in doubt do nowt!

Is this a whole new bigvern outlook after your internet stalker :laughing: .

I plead the 5th! :wink:

was there any width restriction, for what would have been the outside lane?
if not, i’d have passed.

I would of overtaken said truck as i always do

chilistrucker:
was there any width restriction, for what would have been the outside lane?
if not, i’d have passed.

no restrictions posted or any advisory speed limits posted.

the run i am on is 3hr 45 minutes each way for trailer swap but any delays make it tight to get to Penrith in your 4 1/2, so ideally you don’t want any delays,
especially on a Thursday :wink:

Its the same as me getting abuse for coming south down to the M6/M5 split in lane 3, as far as i’m concerned as soon as the M5 lane is evident i’m in lane 3, ADIOS AMIGOS!!!

Same with 3 lane A roads (North Circular etc), M5 north approaching M6, and the M25 out of the tunnel heading tunnel>clacket way.

The rules are there plain and simple!

Gaz:
Its the same as me getting abuse for coming south down to the M6/M5 split in lane 3, as far as i’m concerned as soon as the M5 lane is evident i’m in lane 3, ADIOS AMIGOS!!!

Me too, and like you I get abuse from muppets. Same at the M6/M1/A14 split, if I am going south on the M1 it’s out into the outside lane if necessary.

Gaz:
Same with 3 lane A roads (North Circular etc),

Why wouldn’t you, the rule only applies to motorways

Gaz:
and the M25 out of the tunnel heading tunnel>clacket way.

That’s not the M25, it’s the A282 and you also get abuse from dimwits there. I had an encounter there this week after I went through the east bore and went into the outside lane once the double solid white lines ended to avoid those who had used the same tunnel and were now braking hard for the first exit, and crossing solid lines in teh process. A little further on there was a bit of a jam and a truck came alongside me with the driver making gestures for me to open the window, so I did and the conversation went something like this.

Other Driver - “Do you think you’re [zb]ing special then?”

Me - “No, why?”

Other Driver - “Going in the [zb]ing outside lane and using the tunnel with the 3 tonne weight limit.”

Me - "Nothing wrong with doing that and if you think otherwise you are clearly the special one, as in special needs.

Other Trumpet - “You can’t use the outside lane you [zb]” (Female Front Bottom)

Me - “Er, this isn’t a motorway so you can.”

Scrotum Brain - “It’s the [zb]ing M25.”

Me - “Better have a look at that Sat Nav in your window pal, it isn’t.”

He studies the Sat Nav for a minute and looked confused

Numbnuts - “Doesn’t matter, you still can’t go in outside lane.”

At this point the traffic sadly started moving so our conversation was cut short and I blew him a kiss, which seemed to cause him to explode with rage, and I moved off and didn’t see him again.

If you are on here and reading this can I just take this opportunity to say you are a fellator of the highest order and really shouldn’t be driving with your knowledge of the rules of the road and signs. :imp: :smiling_imp: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

Gaz:

Me too, and like you I get abuse from muppets. Same at the M6/M1/A14 split, if I am going south on the M1 it’s out into the outside lane if necessary.

Gaz:
Same with 3 lane A roads (North Circular etc),

Why wouldn’t you, the rule only applies to motorways

Gaz:
and the M25 out of the tunnel heading tunnel>clacket way.

That’s not the M25, it’s the A282 and you also get abuse from dimwits there. I had an encounter there this week after I went through the east bore and went into the outside lane once the double solid white lines ended to avoid those who had used the same tunnel and were now braking hard for the first exit, and crossing solid lines in teh process. A little further on there was a bit of a jam and a truck came alongside me with the driver making gestures for me to open the window, so I did and the conversation went something like this.

Other Driver - “Do you think you’re [zb]ing special then?”

Me - “No, why?”

Other Driver - “Going in the [zb]ing outside lane and using the tunnel with the 3 tonne weight limit.”

Me - "Nothing wrong with doing that and if you think otherwise you are clearly the special one, as in special needs.

Other Trumpet - “You can’t use the outside lane you [zb]” (Female Front Bottom)

Me - “Er, this isn’t a motorway so you can.”

Scrotum Brain - “It’s the [zb]ing M25.”

Me - “Better have a look at that Sat Nav in your window pal, it isn’t.”

He studies the Sat Nav for a minute and looked confused

Numbnuts - “Doesn’t matter, you still can’t go in outside lane.”

At this point the traffic sadly started moving so our conversation was cut short and I blew him a kiss, which seemed to cause him to explode with rage, and I moved off and didn’t see him again.

If you are on here and reading this can I just take this opportunity to say you are a fellator of the highest order and really shouldn’t be driving with your knowledge of the rules of the road and signs. :imp: :smiling_imp: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

love it PMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Great minds think alike!!! :grimacing:

Funny you should mention that section coming out the tunnel on the Dartford side, the other day I came out the tolls to find the first three lanes held up with slow moving trucks. Seeing an oppertunity and as I was running empty I took to the outside lane to pass them, much to the annoyance of a van driver following one of the trucks in lane 3, wound down his window and started gesturing wildly for me to get back behind him :unamused:

Fat chance, I was past him and the truck, pulled back in and away :stuck_out_tongue: Didn’t take him long to find his throttle as he came back past in the outside lane blaring his horn and inviting me for coffee :unamused:

Coffeeholic:

I do that when people decide to get mardy with whatever part of my driving. Its funny how irate they get! Pmsl! :laughing:

andy187:
On M6 this week overtake a slow truck and as i go past he giving the horn and 1 coffee beans!
not only that he pulled in to lane 2 at 800 yard marker :open_mouth: as i went to over take him. i was on limiter( GPS 57mph! ) estimated he was doing 48- 50 mph, but waited until we are in road works before overtake.

Something doesn’t seem right to me here. I always watch the speed of vehicles behind me or approaching me, and in this scenario if you would of been gaining on me very slowly and i knew there maybe an issue when i needed to move over then i would of moved over well before hand to avoid the issue. Now if you’re going between 7 to 9 mph faster than him then thats a good bit faster and you’d obviously pass him easily with out fuss. For some reason you decided not to continue and overtake him, i can’t figure out why from what you’ve said.

andy187:
As i see it the M-way has been reduced to a 2 lane section.

Thats the way i see it too. Not sure why you sat behind him. Not sure either why he blew his horn and give you the coffee beans? You sure you hav’nt left something out here?

Mike-C:
You sure you hav’nt left something out here?

Hi Mike,

What happened was I was about 100yards behind him in lane 2 when he indicated then pulled out in front of me, at the 800 yard marker for the roadworks.
I thought about overtaking him in lane 3 before the road works but eased off, waited until the roadworks then overtook him.

Perhaps he thought i was not allowed in the outside lane whilst in the roadworks?

andy187:

Mike-C:
You sure you hav’nt left something out here?

Hi Mike,

What happened was I was about 100yards behind him in lane 2 when he indicated then pulled out in front of me, at the 800 yard marker for the roadworks.
I thought about overtaking him in lane 3 before the road works but eased off, waited until the roadworks then overtook him.

Perhaps he thought i was not allowed in the outside lane whilst in the roadworks?

You could be bang on mate. He’s probably got it in his head trucks can’t go into lane three end of story. His description is gonna be along the lines of …some nutter passed me in lane three !!! :laughing:

What? can’t trucks use lane three on a motorway? I do when the cars are going too slow in the roadworks on the m1 :exclamation: :grimacing:

no need to post about how naughty I am as I don’t care :smiley:

Mike-C:
some nutter passed me :laughing:

think he partly right there!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I get it all the time. People get the hump with a quicker lorry coming up behind and pull out to slow you down. I get lorries pulling out on me when they’re half a mile from a slow mover

How about ones that cruise downhill, letting the weight sabotage your overtaking manouvre? :neutral_face: