Oil (lack of)

Hi all,

Currently driving a 2013 TGX, only 4 weeks old. On Friday I was about 70 miles from the yard when I got a oil level low warning. Stopped and checked via the dash and it said it was literally as close to dry of oil as you can get.

Opened the bonnet and checked visually and it was true, about an inch below the minimum mark and probably 2mm of oil on the stick. Now I know it had lost a hell of a lot as only that morning, 8 hrs and 270 miles driving previously I’d visually checked it and it was just over half way between the min and max marks.

Rang the boss who said “drive it back to the yard, it’s new, it’ll be fine and I’ll get it looked at over the weekend”
After a bit of arguing with me saying I didn’t want to drive it I was simply told that it’s his truck, I’m paid by him, drive it back and if it seizes up its not my problem.
Fair enough so I nurse it back to the yard, trying like hell to find oil on the way back at services but none seem to stock oil these days.

I leave the truck for the weekend and hope its fixed by Monday.

So I just get a call saying they couldn’t get it done over the weekend but it’s booked in for tomorrow, can I please take it and do a quick three drops (Portsmouth, Bordon, Crawley) then get it to Maidstone to have it checked out.
Once again I said it was dry of oil and why ruin a new truck for the sake of a few drops but was told just to come in and do it and if it goes pop then it’s on the company not me.

My question is this: would you take this out as a driver? Knowing there’s a good chance you could damage the engine further, or worse have it seize on you and cause an accident?

One part of me says just defect it when I get in and refuse to take it out, the other side is saying just take it out and let it go pop then watch them cry when they find out the warranty won’t cover a new engine because they’ve run it without oil for 2 days.

I’d top it up, then take it out with some spare oil.

Whaddya ya mean “fix it”? Just needs a top up? You can’t do it?

Catch 22 question. Seems to me you’re winding you’re boss up a little. If it was me i’d do wot they request, take plenty of oil with you, grow apair, if it goes bang so be it. its there Truck not you’res, im sure you’ll be fine my friend :wink: :smiley:

Don’t have any and the garages I tried on Friday don’t stock it either.
Plus if it’s drinking in the region of 5 litres of oil in 270 miles, in a 4 week old truck I’d say there’s something up with it.

Well your boss has clearly stated that its his truck and you are just paid to drive it. If he wants you to drive it after you’ve pointed out the defect and obvious consequences, then I’d do as he says. Its not your problem. One thing though, I personally would ask him to put what he said in writing incase the engine does go bang.

What damoq say, if they havnt got the sense to put some oil in over the weekend, I would just take it out.

Scarab:
Don’t have any and the garages I tried on Friday don’t stock it either.
Plus if it’s drinking in the region of 5 litres of oil in 270 miles, in a 4 week old truck I’d say there’s something up with it.

I don’t get it.
A haulier that dosn’t keep some oil in stock? and a driver that dosn’t carry a spare gallon? very strange.
I agree there’s something wrong with it, But it pays to be prepared whether it’s a 4 week or 4 year old truck.

are you paid by the hour ■■?
yes

let the thing go ■■■ BANG not pop BANG
fitter comes out goes back gets reker tows away then you gotta get back to yard Kerching

To be honest you’ve done all you can to save your boss money or even failed delivery’s, just do what you can and if it goes bang get your feet up an have an easy day

Scarab:
Hi all,

Currently driving a 2013 TGX, only 4 weeks old. On Friday I was about 70 miles from the yard when I got a oil level low warning. Stopped and checked via the dash and it said it was literally as close to dry of oil as you can get.

Opened the bonnet and checked visually and it was true, about an inch below the minimum mark and probably 2mm of oil on the stick. Now I know it had lost a hell of a lot as only that morning, 8 hrs and 270 miles driving previously I’d visually checked it and it was just over half way between the min and max marks.

Rang the boss who said “drive it back to the yard, it’s new, it’ll be fine and I’ll get it looked at over the weekend”
After a bit of arguing with me saying I didn’t want to drive it I was simply told that it’s his truck, I’m paid by him, drive it back and if it seizes up its not my problem.
Fair enough so I nurse it back to the yard, trying like hell to find oil on the way back at services but none seem to stock oil these days.

So I just get a call saying they couldn’t get it done over the weekend but it’s booked in for tomorrow, can I please take it and do a quick three drops (Portsmouth, Bordon, Crawley) then get it to Maidstone to have it checked out.
Once again I said it was dry of oil and why ruin a new truck for the sake of a few drops but was told just to come in and do it and if it goes pop then it’s on the company not me.

My question is this: would you take this out as a driver? Knowing there’s a good chance you could damage the engine further, or worse have it seize on you and cause an accident?

One part of me says just defect it when I get in and refuse to take it out, the other side is saying just take it out and let it go pop then watch them cry when they find out the warranty won’t cover a new engine because they’ve run it without oil for 2 days.

I always check mine,but if it needs topping up I get the shunter to fill it up,same as bulbs,fuses ,screen wash etc,check it,but if it needs screen wash or oil just point it out to t.o or shunter and they should get it sorted for you,you only need to over fill it and the ■■■■ would hit the fan big time,your just a driver remember,no more,no less

dozy:

Scarab:
Hi all,

I always check mine,but if it needs topping up I get the shunter to fill it up,same as bulbs,fuses ,screen wash etc,check it,but if it needs screen wash or oil just point it out to t.o or shunter and they should get it sorted for you,you only need to over fill it and the [zb] would hit the fan big time,your just a driver remember,no more,no less

this is why drivers are paid peanuts, tell traffic office or shunter to check there oil because driver may overfill it
dozy by name and nature
■■■■■■

We have an oil tank to top up at our place , then our transport dept got taken over by nobrits , who won’t let us ( or dont trust us )top our own motors up if needed, we have to go to a garage which is bout 7 miles away , so not only is it the cost if the oil it’s fuel to get there and back , wages , fitters time , seems a bit of a daft idea to me . One lad even called em out at 4 am on a Monday morning cos he needed some oil ! Just do as they want u to it’ll end up costing them , don’t worry bout it , :open_mouth:

If its below Min tomorrow the first thing i’d be doing is finding some (presumably low ash) fully synthetic oil as soon as the garages open up, any good make main truck dealer should sell suitable stuff.

Pretty sure the MAN’s take 10/40 low saps full synthetic, doubt you will find that at a normal BP but haven’t looked for a good while, might find it at a lorry parts factor toowhich might well be found on an industrial esate, hopefully someone either here or at your delivery points will know of a local factor on your delivery route.

The general feeling here seems to be drive it and be damned, i couldn’t do so if it was below min.

Years ago i was told a new engine to allow 1% burn/lose eg 100 galls of diesel to 1gall of oil to run in, not worry about. then should be next to nothing for the 1st year

If you were a proper driver you would have checked the oil before you took it out and there would be no need to post on this forum.

And yes I know you said you checked it but come off it we’ve heard all those stories before.

bigtruck:
And yes I know you said you checked it but come off it we’ve heard all those stories before.

If the computer is interrogated it will tell all, including oil checks.

Juddian:

bigtruck:

If the computer is interrogated it will tell all, including oil checks.

All sounds a bit suss to me or there is a bloody big hole in the sump.

Id take it out.gaffer has said so and has been told of the situation but ask for it in writing

If it breaks down it breaks down. Like the Boss said, not your problem. At least you sort of proved your point with him