Oil (lack of)

Can somebody tell me where the dipstick is please,cause on my 11 TGX you have to lift the cab, so I go by what it says on the dash readout.If you are that concerned bang some bog standard fully synthetic diesel oil in, it will work better than non at all, then when you call round at your local dealer tell them the oil light came on.

dowahdiddyman:
Can somebody tell me where the dipstick is please,cause on my 11 TGX

It’s in the cab on top of the seat behind the steering wheel :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Scarab:
Hi all,

Currently driving a 2013 TGX, only 4 weeks old. On Friday I was about 70 miles from the yard when I got a oil level low warning. Stopped and checked via the dash and it said it was literally as close to dry of oil as you can get.

Opened the bonnet and checked visually and it was true, about an inch below the minimum mark and probably 2mm of oil on the stick. Now I know it had lost a hell of a lot as only that morning, 8 hrs and 270 miles driving previously I’d visually checked it and it was just over half way between the min and max marks.

Just a thought did you let the level settle before taking the readings? I’ve been told that you should allow about 5 minutes for the oil level to settle before using the manual dip stick.

Another thought that comes to mind if you have “lost” that much oil I would have anticipated an obvious leak could there be a circulation/pump issue issue?

A couple of things come to mind here … If it was on the half way mark at the start of the day, top it up, if your depot has no oil then they should go and get some. What sort of transport company doesn’t have asuppy of oil on site FFS ?
If it’s a brand new vehicle surely it is under warranty and that warranty will stipulate that miss treatment will make that warranty void, driving with insuficient oil is misstreatment and that warranty will be void :exclamation: You boss shouldn’t be so naive as to think a computer hooked to the vehicle will not show it has been run for days without oil, I fear he is going to get a large bill.
Not your problem though, just drive it as instructed.

The correct oil for that truck is Castrol Enduron Low SAPS (but any other Low SAPS oil will do at a push. A non Low SAPS oil will leave hard ash deposits on the particulate filter, although if your truck is an AdBlue SCR one as opposed to an EGR one I don’t think that it has a particulate filter.

The good folk at Swindon can monitor and record your oil level and just about every other engine condition that you can think of remotely in real time: so there’s no benefit from topping it up after it goes bang!

Big brother is watching you…and his name is Des Evans!

dont understand this would it realy go two days with no oil . NO…

I think with the dash oil level warnings together with the dip stick reading and assuming you did your pre trip oil level checks before the warnings it’s obviously a problem and it’s difficult to understand why the guvnor seems to want to continue using it that condition. :confused:

Thanks for all the replies guys and girls.

Just to clarify a few points, NO my company carries no oil, bulbs, DW40 or duct tape. Any problems and we are to sit tight ring the boss, thats company policy and written in the handbook.
Spare tacho rolls is all we carry and are allowed to change.

A bit of a change for me as at my previous company we were given a full toolkit and even training on basic mechanical roadside fixes.

As I said it was half way between the Min and Max on Friday morning (I was off Thurs, otherwise it only gets visually checked on a Monday morning, rest of the time on the dash) and the next time I checked it was quite literally only 2mm of oil on the dipstick.

Well in 7 hours we’ll find out what’s going to happen. I’ll defect it and get the boss signature on the sheet before taking it out. If I take it out and it goes bang then what will be, will be!

Similar thing happened to me in a DAF XF.

Level dropped significantly over a run to Southampton Docks and on way back warning flashed up.

Gaffer said same thing - just drive it back ■■■■ it it’s on hire so don’t care. Got him to text me though as I felt happier with it in writing.

In fairness it did get back - and did two more shifts with the light on with other drivers :laughing:

Even when the level is low on the dipstick, it doesn’t mean there is no oil in the sump, so I doubt the thing is going to seize just yet. In the absence of any signs of a major leak (e.g. significant puddles of oil when it has been parked up for a while) or huge clouds of blue smoke out the exhaust, I wouldn’t worry about it overmuch.

Surely it has an oil presure gauge besides the oil light :question: So long as the needle shows some oil moving through the engine it will be ok :question:

I’ve always topped off the oil level when it reaches the minimum mark, some engines will happily run at the full mark, but others will find their own level. If you continue adding oil to get them to the full mark all the time you’ll be wasting thousands of gallons of oil over the life of the engine. This will have the added drawback that it will clog Particulate Filters as any excessive oil will be burned in the engine and sent out of the exhaust :open_mouth:

If the truck is only four weeks old and especially if it’s running synthetic oil, it will take a while for oil consumption to level out, in the case of the OP I would top it up to the full mark and then drive it like I’ve stolen it, that engine needs heat in it to get the rings to seat properly, they obviously haven’t yet as the oil consumption confirms :wink:

Dont wish to sound as im having a dig at the op but its odd how firms say theres no money in tge job and i know normaly new trucks dont use oil like some old ones did but surely a 45 gallon drum of oil in the yard has to be a cheaper and quicker solution than booking in to a garage

I’m sure it’s been said but if your company can’t source a bit of oil over a weekend to save a new engine, they must be either loaded or useless or both!

I’d take it if I’ve been told too, maybe get it in writing so they can’t turn the tables when it seizes.

I know what you mean about not being able to get the correct oil in service stations nowadays. There’s so many different grades and such. Oil in services is a total rip off though. You can get fully synthetic e5 or e6 grade I think it is on eBay in 100 litre metal canisters at a reasonable price, tell your firm to get some for the yard!!!

Oil is Oil, as long as you get one that’s for diesel engines it will work just fine and you can mix mineral and synthetic too, it will do no harm at all :open_mouth:

Any engine oil will be better than no oil :bulb:

newmercman:
Oil is Oil, as long as you get one that’s for diesel engines it will work just fine and you can mix mineral and synthetic too, it will do no harm at all :open_mouth:

I agree, But some years back you couldn’t mix mineral and synthetic. But the problems have been resolved for some time now.

If you’re going to portsmouth, take a look at adams morey. They really only do DAFs but a lot of maintenance stuff in there, I’m sure they could get you some oil. It’s just off burrfields road.

You still got at least 30 litres of oil sat in there so stop worrying.Time to panic is when the pressure warning flashes up on the dash.

Would say that the engine will shut itself down before that happens but there again we are talking about some bloody farmers implement MAN arnt we.

Not exactly the height of technology to be honest!

I’m watching this thread eagerly… Did he get his 3 drops done? Did the engine seize up? What did the guvnor say?? Ohhhhhh the suspense!!!

newmercman:

In an emergency yes, but bear in mind that some (most) modern trucks (including new Mercs) have a change interval which is stipulated according to the quality of oil used. Diluting the quality of the oil dilutes its protective abilities and longevity, so an earlier change may be needed.

But yes any oil is better than no oil in circumstances where there really is less than the minimum amount of oil in the sump. But if you top up with a large quantity of poor quality oil you would be wise to change it early.

However, if the truck is leased and is going back in two years or whatever, it’s probably not going to be your problem.

As someone stated previously, its better to let the oil fall towards the bottom, then top up, rather than keeping it up to the top mark all the time. It only needs to be between the two marks.