Off Tramping soon, equipment recommendations please?

Bewick:

bogieman:
ok where was i mmmmmmmmm

got ropes and sheets…yes

got a skin…yes

got a bottle sheet…yes

got chains…yes

got dwangs…yes

got timbers…yes

got scutches…yes

got drumsticks…yes

got sleepers…yes

got bulbs and lenses…yes

marker boards…yes

marker lights…yes

goal posts…yes

headboard on your trailer…yes

twistlocks…yes

WELL WHAT F***K YOU PHONING ME YOU HAVE A LOAD

Only able to load 15 ton though as I weigh 17 ton un-laden mate!

length of scaffolding tube to get yer chains really tight , mind yer hand when the dwang snaps locked

So I start tramping in a couple of weeks and I’m a complete newbie. I know I’m gonna have to get some kit to make my overnight stays a little more comfy.

First question is about voltage & stuff. Am I right in saying that I’d run everything off 12v and not 24v? DO I need to buy a converter or anything? I’ll be working for Stobarts so should get a pretty decent truck with all the mod’ con’s

List of needs would be, sleeping bag, pillow. Telly / DVD player, kettle, cutlery, some kind of cooking stove?

Any tips guys??

Ta in advance

A gun,

Also a fake hand that waves at stobbie spotters lol

Lots and lots of patience.

Take a lap top and a Dongel so you can watch Red Tube all night!

DONT WORRY ABOUT CLOTHES ,UNDIES ,ECT BECAUSE IM SURE THE CROSS DRESSER WILL LEND YA SOME WHEN YOU PASS WHAT EVER DEPOT THEY ARE AT :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

swayze1:
DONT WORRY ABOUT CLOTHES ,UNDIES ,ECT BECAUSE IM SURE THE CROSS DRESSER WILL LEND YA SOME WHEN YOU PASS WHAT EVER DEPOT THEY ARE AT :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So called “Tramping” to-day is nothing like what Tramping was 40/50/60 years ago!Do I hear a new thread in the making?? Bewick.

A heart as big as a dustbin lid and lots of headache cures plus a ■■■ aid for the wife.

Hiya …you need 3 good size sheets SORRY you can,t use sheets on food stuff. 4 good lenght chains and dogs OOPS you can,t use dogs
any more HSE. a back scotch and 20 wedges OH they stand them reels on end nowadays. about 8 good ropes ■■■■ you can,t use ropes
you need corner boards and a bottle sheet and some 8ft timbers 4x3 for dock work (timber) a few good maps and A to Z,s a little red
book for backload telphone no,s. and a book with digs where to stay.maybe a dozen rachet straps.

OH a hard hat/high vis jacket and gloves a sat nav and a laptop some pledge and a wavey hand spot light bull bar and curtains with
tassels.and some home comforts.
cheers John how times change

3300John:
Hiya …you need 3 good size sheets SORRY you can,t use sheets on food stuff. 4 good lenght chains and dogs OOPS you can,t use dogs
any more HSE. a back scotch and 20 wedges OH they stand them reels on end nowadays. about 8 good ropes [zb] you can,t use ropes
you need corner boards and a bottle sheet and some 8ft timbers 4x3 for dock work (timber) a few good maps and A to Z,s a little red
book for backload telphone no,s. and a book with digs where to stay.maybe a dozen rachet straps.

OH a hard hat/high vis jacket and gloves a sat nav and a laptop some pledge and a wavey hand spot light bull bar and curtains with
tassels.and some home comforts.
cheers John how times change

Make sure you’ve got a spare wheel,if you have,you need a jack,bar and wheelbrace and a block of wood to stand the jack on so it doesn’t sink into the tarmac when the wagon is loaded.A can of oil and some water is always handy and if it’s an AEC MK3 a set of injector pipes(get two number fives :smiley: ) and a set of spanners.Three or four blankets are good sound insulation over the engine cover,oh and some bulbs,single and double contact assorted so a screwdriver will be handy.If you’ve got a tanker keep your old hazchem labels hidden so you can snip off UN codes or make up a phone number for those places where they were too tight to issue you with a set of labels for THEIR product-don’t forget scissors :slight_smile: .Take plenty of log sheets so you can keep going to get home or to your favourite digs and some loose change for the “look after yer wagon mister” brigade :laughing: .
One last thing,always be in the frame of mind to help another driver out,news used to travel fast in t’olden days.

hiya,
Proper tramping in this day and age and for Stobbies :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .Sorry.
thanks harry long retired

a labotomy?

is this Trucknet or tryingtobeacomedianbutfailingnet?

one thing they all forgot & you don’t seem to possess…a sense of humour!!!

What on earth made you ask a question like that on this site!!■■

Trampers from yesteryear,myself included,thought out all the requirements for ourselves,it was half the fun of driving an HGV,but there again,its no fun today is it!?

Take it easy,

David :smiley:

Hiya…akacheesy…SORRY from all of us at TN .its eddiy,s fault really , dose he call it tramping■■? I,ll put my life on the line and say
Eddy stobart ltd never did general haulage tramping (you can,t be a tramp in a suit can you). At stobarts they should call it depot
to depot work.or circular haulage.the computer always knows where your going. with tramping in the older days you and the boss
did,nt have a clue what direction you was going(and sometimes that was good)Its a pitty you can,t do tramping as we knew it
its was more fun tham we can explane.all the loads was a differant shape,half the time the sheets was not big enough or you
was short of timbers or chocks, so you made do…sometimes drivers looked like tramps they was black as coal delivering
biscuits or other food stuff.It is perhaps nicer to be clean and tidy but hell it must be so boreing without the fun we had.
John

akacheesy:
So I start tramping in a couple of weeks and I’m a complete newbie. I know I’m gonna have to get some kit to make my overnight stays a little more comfy.

First question is about voltage & stuff. Am I right in saying that I’d run everything off 12v and not 24v? DO I need to buy a converter or anything? I’ll be working for Stobarts so should get a pretty decent truck with all the mod’ con’s

List of needs would be, sleeping bag, pillow. Telly / DVD player, kettle, cutlery, some kind of cooking stove?

Any tips guys??

Ta in advance

Hiya akacheesy. First of all as you have already been told tramping no longer really exists as such in this day and age and therefore any advice from us would be useless. Secondly nobody so far has pointed out that you are on the wrong forum to get up to date advice as we are from the era that did not have all the latest in-cab comforts (not even a bed) let alone such a thing as a telly or mobile phone !! May I suggest that you go to The ‘Professional Drivers’ forum where I am sure you will get all the relevant information that you require. Good luck and best regards.

hiya,
I should think that owner drivers on journey work are as near as you are going to get to proper trampers in this day and age woe betide any driver in my era who loaded from a haulier or clearing house without phoning in first and later finding the person was a bad payer, and there was loads of them about,though experience told you who to avoid, but i carried enough gear to load anything from steel to strawberries, a lot of it in the cab stuff like corner boards, chains and tensioners in the passengers footwell spare lamp lenses were a must some body always thought they was entitled to the ones on your trailer and a good flysheet for delicate cargo in the cab as well if not needed on the load i did’nt ever “cab it” so the inside of the cab was’nt a problem, and they was happy days, very happy.
thanks harry long retired.

A cheese grater.

See a shrink … ASAP… :smiley:

Jerry