Off to middle east again

i bought a well known magazine yesterday (a trucking magazine) and was pleased to see a letter from Chris Hooper (hooperman) stating that he has re- negotiated rates and transit taxes to the middle east.
He had a meeting with the new owners who apparently have lots of work and are in fact contacting all the old customers for more work to the middle east.
He has bought himself a S/S cab DAF…and what seems unusual to me is…it has a ■■■■■■■ engine in it. I thought on reading this that it seems a rare beast. The ideal engine considering the problem Ian young has in BG with his engine. I wondered how many other DAFs there are with a ■■■■■■■ in. Anyway seems chris has not retired, and i have lost his phone number, but will look forward to hearing, or reading about his travels. there was also a mention about Coffee to go` in the mag as well, so looks like Neil is getting famous as well…and good luck to him…

yeh seen that in the magazine, i’ve became a bit of a middle east fan nearly finished cola cowboys and watched destination doha last week, will look forward to anything new about M.E think i have read all threads on this topic on trucknet so anything new would be great

So what are you saying Truckyboy??..you getting that itchy feeling for sand between your toes again :laughing: :laughing:

Go for it mate, you know you want to…then write up a few diaries on here and make a few hundred other drivers just a tad jealous!!! :wink:

I have worked with Chris on the same company on a few occasions, and have run out there with him, once getting arrested in Yugo…i must admit that reading his letter…got me all fired up again…but i have to keep reminding myself not to be an idiot…and back off gracefully…and just live with the memories…
on saying that …i received an e.mail today asking me to do an interview with regard to my time working for Asian Transport…which was the name of the transport company…and Astran being the shippers and forwarders…before they became one name…i will of course post anything that materialises…subject to protocol…by the writer.

truckyboy:
…i received an e.mail today asking me to do an interview with regard to my time working for Asian Transport…which was the name of the transport company…and Astran being the shippers and forwarders…before they became one name…

good for you bob i hope it comes out.

i would like too know if anyone phoned up astrans after the thread was put in the euro forum about them advertising for drivers did anyone on here ring them or do you know anyone who did :question: :question: :question: :question:

truckyboy:
He had a meeting with the new owners who apparently have lots of work and are in fact contacting all the old customers for more work to the middle east.

Is this existing work taken from other hauliers or is there a bit of an upsurge in work to the Middle East?
Also with Turkish, Iranian and other drivers from poorer countries on this work how does a British Truck Driver make it pay.

I am a sad person who loves the tales of ME trucking and wished he had chance to do it.
Have the destination doha DVD and another one from Ferdy in Switzerland.

Just ordered his limited edition ME book and waiting delivery

truckboy the daf super space had a 500 ■■■■■■■ fitted when first introduced it also only came lefthand drive one of the best still on the road is run by a guy from scarboro with mad max murrels on it formerly owned by craig potter from somerset :laughing:

The one from Scarborough with the paintwork is now for sale on EBay I think the company is called Tiffanies.

As Carl said, when the 95 series Daf was launched, the flagship truck was a 500BHP, the only ■■■■■■■ Daf did in that range, and was only available in left hand drive.
I worked for Morrison Freight in Ipswich, and they had a 500 95 series, and at the time it was an awsome truck, and during its time with MF, it never missed a beat. I did get offered to drive it for a few weeks(doing Germany and back) when the regular driver had some time off, but as it was a left ■■■■■■, and id never driven one before, i declined the offer :cry: D"OH!!!