Off road shunting,then,same shift,on road driving

Question.Part of our rostered working week,is 4 nights shunting,in the yard.Tugmasters are used,no tacho or recording devices,as theyre never on the public highway.Occasionally,someone doesnt show in for a run,for whatever reason.The load MUST go,leaving it in the yard is not an option.One of the night shunters then gets taken off their work,and put on the run.Using obviously, a vehicle which requires use of a tacho.What should he record on that tacho,a general,“start shunting 21.00hrs,finished shunting 02.30hrs”,bearing in mind that he will be stop/start all night?

obviously by lack of replies its a difficult one. the only answer i can give as a layman is treat shunting as driving time and give an honest estimate as to how much drive you have done,then if stopped by vosa you can say what you have done and also state under oath the in your opinion that is a good honest assesment of your hours. vosa have to then prove your guilt not you prove your innocent of any infringments.
also keep a manual record of start/finish times and breaks .
make sure you adjust your digital tacho start time or if on disc draw a line on face and fill in reverse of card.
now i will be shot down by the much more knowledgable guys on here :blush:

Should a record not be kept for all other nights also.?

That’s a question not a statement by the way.

If you went out on a public highway surely the authorities would want to know how much other work you had been doing previously and not just that night or do they just contact your Employer.?

Without searching on the www to verify I’m pretty sure that if you drive a truck for one day in a week you need to abide by the hours rules for the whole of that week.

Also if you do any other duties you need to at least do a manual chart to record other work, My employer insisted that we inserted a chart into our trucks tachograph even when we were stood for a few days in January this year.

We left the mode as other work at the start of shift, changed it for break times then back to other work.

Hope that helps.

Could if its a one off, manually record previous “other work” on the rear of the tacho sheet for the truck your driving.

If its a regular occurence keep a log book for “other work”

should keep you on the straight and narrow. :smiley:

gezt:
obviously by lack of replies its a difficult one. the only answer i can give as a layman is treat shunting as driving time and give an honest estimate as to how much drive you have done,then if stopped by vosa you can say what you have done and also state under oath the in your opinion that is a good honest assesment of your hours. vosa have to then prove your guilt not you prove your innocent of any infringments.
also keep a manual record of start/finish times and breaks .
make sure you adjust your digital tacho start time or if on disc draw a line on face and fill in reverse of card.
now i will be shot down by the much more knowledgable guys on here :blush:

SEE ONCE I ANSWERED ALL THE KNOWLEDGABLE GUYS SHOOT ME DOWN LOL
AND NO IM NOT HAVING A POP AT U GUYS (sorry for caps) :wink: :wink:

If all you do in the week is the shunting then no records required. If you also do any driving under EU regulations in the week then a record will be required for each shift. If during the shift you have no access to a recording device, when you are only driving the tugs for instance, then you will need to complete manual entries either on a chart or printout. The tug driving should be recorded as other work, crossed hammers. You don’t need to go into detail such as “start shunting 21.00hrs,finished shunting 02.30hrs”, that would just be marked as other work from 21:00 - 02:30.

Well done for having a crack at this one Gezt, I always believed that your shift starts
from the time that you start to book paid hours on your time sheet or the start time
that your company has given you.

Is shunting considered to be other work and not driving time ?
Also I have a question to add, if I arrive at a delivery after 4.15 hrs driving in a vehicle
fitted with a digi tacho and then after booking in at the gatehouse I have to do the usual
onsite driving to the office and bays and so on, and this driving then causes a 4.30 hr
infringement, have I commited an offence even though I am off the public highway and
have taken a break after completing the delivery and taking a 45 outside the depot.

Sorry for the extra question, but I guess if someone can help with the original post then
they could help with mine.
Cheers

I have a related question -

Driver of artic unit does a 1 hour drive at the start of a shift then does yard shunting with the same unit for a few hours then does another 1 hour drive at the end of a shift -
Is the shunting still ‘other work’ :question:

vosaguy:
Could if its a one off, manually record previous “other work” on the rear of the tacho sheet for the truck your driving.

If its a regular occurence keep a log book for “other work”

should keep you on the straight and narrow. :smiley:

WTF■■? Your username isn’t real is it with advice like that? :unamused: :unamused:

He is talking about driving under EU rules at some point in the week when he has to cover a run. Under those circumstances keeping a ‘log book’ for his other work does not comply with the regulations. He has to record it either on a chart, a printout or by using the manual input option on a digi tacho.

oatcake1967:
Is shunting considered to be other work and not driving time ?
Also I have a question to add, if I arrive at a delivery after 4.15 hrs driving in a vehicle
fitted with a digi tacho and then after booking in at the gatehouse I have to do the usual
onsite driving to the office and bays and so on, and this driving then causes a 4.30 hr
infringement, have I commited an offence even though I am off the public highway and
have taken a break after completing the delivery and taking a 45 outside the depot.

Yes, an offence would be committed, the on site driving is part of your driving time.

ROG:

Driver of artic unit does a 1 hour drive at the start of a shift then does yard shunting with the same unit for a few hours then does another 1 hour drive at the end of a shift -

No. The tugs don’t come under EU rules so driving them is the same as spending part of your shift driving a van where the van driving is other work. The tractor unit is under EU regs so the yard driving will count toward driving time in your scenario.

Thank you I will try and avoid getting into this situation.

Article 6

1. A driver shall record as other work any time spent as
    described in Article 4(e) as well as any time spent driving a
    vehicle used for commercial operations not falling within the
    scope of this Regulation, and shall record any periods of
    availability, as defined in Article 15(3)(c) of Regulation (EEC)
    No 3821/85, since his last daily or weekly rest period. This
    record shall be entered either manually on a record sheet, a
    printout or by use of manual input facilities on recording
    equipment.

What is regarded as a record sheet :question:

ROG:
Article 6

1. A driver shall record as other work any time spent as
    described in Article 4(e) as well as any time spent driving a
    vehicle used for commercial operations not falling within the
    scope of this Regulation, and shall record any periods of
    availability, as defined in Article 15(3)(c) of Regulation (EEC)
    No 3821/85, since his last daily or weekly rest period. This
    record shall be entered either manually on a record sheet, a
    printout or by use of manual input facilities on recording
    equipment.

What is regarded as a record sheet :question:

A tacho chart.

ROG:

i think the law has changed recently and “off road” driving counts as on road

Thanks to all,who confused me even more!I`ll probably swap out of that particular shift,for a normal run!I know some of the regulars keep no records of off road driving,and then,if the need arises ,belt away with a tacho!The point Rog raised was a pertinent one,as that can be a scenario also in our place.The sickening thing is these idiots would do the 1 hr driving,work flat out then,in the tug,no break,and probably have to go out on a run after.Albeit a short run.Thanks for your help one and all.Drinks are on me! :smiley:

What is regarded as a record sheet .
A tacho chart?

whiplash:
A tacho chart?

I would imagine that there is a definition of what a record sheet is but I cannot find one… but i’ll bet someone can :wink:

ROG:

whiplash:
A tacho chart?

I would imagine that there is a definition of what a record sheet is but I cannot find one… but i’ll bet someone can :wink:

A record sheet is something which records your activities, obviously. So, ask yourself what does an analogue tachograph unit use to record your activities? And you have your answer as to what is a record sheet as far as the tacho rules go.