Off for my speed awareness

well half hour to go till i sit this course ive heard its tosh but i may learn summit! …yer the speed camera on the A5 works

Speed Kills, even though you got caught speeding and your still alive :unamused:

Tell us how you get on ,you could ask if it counts towards your CPC.Going down that route means no points so your licence wont be affected.

Hiya …A lass i know got done(97mph) so on the course she did go.the group was told when
in a 30mph area put the car in 2nd gear and the high reving will draw there attention to the speed.
What a load of bol…s have you ever heard such cr…
John

imagine the shame if you get done again on the way home :laughing:

That lass was lucky to get a speed awareness course at 97mph, usually that’s a trip to the beek’s for some bent over the table punishment.

My mate got done by a camera on the A5 in an artic as well, 51 in a 40.

Hiya years ago they got me on the A47 near lincon christmas eve at 9.30 pm
doing 53 in the country(40 hgv)it was my second ticket BANNED 6 months and 60quid
that was in 1975. more than a weeks wages for some people back then.oh well good old
days.
John

well am back, 4 hours of it, would of ran smoother if it wasent for a few plonkers dotted around the class asking the most stupid of questions or replying with even worse, the bloke doing the course was telling us to focus on whats up ahead etc, so he used a church spire as a focal point and asked about hazards that might exist around a church, one women mentioned usually a pub another mentioned built up area and this plonker on my table said a graveyard :laughing: :unamused:

then another one at the end of the 4 hour stint we all got asked any questions he asked whats the most commen sign used in britain?..everyone just sat and looked his answer was a dozen eggs for a £1…and at this timely point i calmly said your having a laugh arnt you mate its the fire exit!! cos thats exactly the way am headed even the bloke running the course had to applaud and laugh cos this numpty was chipping in all through it and people just wanted to go home,

it saved me points and thats a good thing its ok for joe public and thats the trouble there are peeps from all walks of life and some just dont get the hint to shut the fluck up, telling us the tall stories of there run ins with rita ,sue and bob too by the way i was the only trucker there so it was painful all that hassle for doing 46mph now if you see a truck doing 40mph on a single carriageway it will be me and i apologise in advance i aint going through that again, so dont bother flashing or pulling out and diving back in i will pull over for you too pass at a safe and convienient place were you can give as many hand gestures as you seem fit :laughing: :laughing:

i done a similar course in bracknell, but mine was for getting caught on the phone while driving. was pretty much the same there, someone trying to be the joker and asking the most ridiculous questions. It wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be, and was certainly worthwhile, rather than getting 3 points on my licence.

i got caught speeding coming home from scotland, was in a hurry as was doin 95-100mph, seen the speed van on the bridge, slowed down, but they got me at 94mph, work got the letter, i filled it in and sent it back, was worried thinking they were gonna hammer me, for 94 mph, then letter come saying 3 points £60 fine, i was so relieved and had the acceptance back in the post to them in less than 30 mins before they changed there mind lol

you aint kiddin,i done mine yesterday care of good ol dorset plod,i have honestly never had such a boring time in the last 2yrs.
3 hours long started by we all sitting there like performing seals,all round the room,there was 4 pro drivers all clocking up 40k+ miles,the rest being housewifes/office jockeys doing 5k or less.
after saying who we were,even with name stickers on,we started the course showing slids and some video shots of how to drive down the road with something called C.O.A.S.T,it was that good i have forgot what it means,but the emergany lads use it.
then on to tea break,great time for a coffee,that will be needed to keep awake for the second half :smiley:
part 2 more slides,short clips of made for tv rta’s,and some aussie ones,who really go for it.
any way after 3 hours,we get to go home with a nice little book called safer driving in dorset,and the promise of a letter saying we have been good little children, and in the clear.
i am led to beleif that hants do a test to see if it as sunk in,at the end of the course,but i dont plan on finding out. had too much fun yesterday to last a lifetime :smiley: :smiley:

BIG MAC:
you aint kiddin,i done mine yesterday care of good ol dorset plod,i have honestly never had such a boring time in the last 2yrs.
3 hours long started by we all sitting there like performing seals,all round the room,there was 4 pro drivers all clocking up 40k+ miles,the rest being housewifes/office jockeys doing 5k or less.
after saying who we were,even with name stickers on,we started the course showing slids and some video shots of how to drive down the road with something called C.O.A.S.T,it was that good i have forgot what it means,but the emergany lads use it.
then on to tea break,great time for a coffee,that will be needed to keep awake for the second half :smiley:
part 2 more slides,short clips of made for tv rta’s,and some aussie ones,who really go for it.
any way after 3 hours,we get to go home with a nice little book called safer driving in dorset,and the promise of a letter saying we have been good little children, and in the clear.
i am led to beleif that hants do a test to see if it as sunk in,at the end of the course,but i dont plan on finding out. had too much fun yesterday to last a lifetime :smiley: :smiley:

yer we did that coast business on my name tag i wrote captain slow :laughing:

3300John:
Hiya …A lass i know got done(97mph) so on the course she did go.the group was told when
in a 30mph area put the car in 2nd gear and the high reving will draw there attention to the speed.
What a load of bol…s have you ever heard such cr…
John

When I got done I refused on principle to attending an awareness course-I’dve used a days holiday, had to pay for the course, was getting my load bonus docked regardless and I’dve probably said something I’d regret because I was annoyed about it. I also didn’t want to hear some bird crying how her friend/relative got knocked down by a car doing 35 in a 30 because they wern’t looking where they were going. I did check my insurance first and the points only put a few quid on anyway…

bubsy06:
Speed Kills, even though you got caught speeding and your still alive :unamused:

That’s one of the most simplistic views I’ve read in a long time.

One of our drivers got done doing 51 on the Evesham bypass and couldn’t do the awareness course as he was over the margin (whatever that maybe I guess 47ish?). He had his bonus stopped (more than the fine I think) and he sticks religiously to 40 and 50 now. He’s got our firm to get some “Restricted to 40 on SC roads” stickers but it’s optional whether we fit them-so far just the two of us have… :unamused: I say any excuse for a less stressful day has to be worth it…

I actually thought the course I did was pretty decent, was run by AA Drivetech. Some of it was quite drawn out, but there was some interesting stuff in there about accident investigation, forensics etc.

Felt a bit nervous getting back in the car immediately after the course to tell the truth, so they succeeded in shaking me a bit, but it sooned passed.

One major drawback was the idiot or two that just loves the sound of their own voice, and sees fit to regularly interupt the lecturer to attempt to be funny, or try and put their really bone point across. Not realising how utterly tedious they are.

They gave us a short anonymous quiz by remote control. Confirmed exactly what I thought about a large majority of motorists out there. They haven’t a clue about speed limits, road classifications, road markings etc etc. Quite an eye opener.

I’d definately recommend it to people, you certainly feel less shafted about your £60 and feel that you actually learned something. If you take the points/fine you just end up bitter and twisted about the whole thing, to no real benefit.

I think calling it a speed awareness course is a bit misleading, as it covered so much more than just the speed aspect. Though probably the most important thing I took away was that if you kill or maim someone, and they can prove the speed you were travelling was in excess of the posted limit (and they can prove in so many ways, including the impact point of the persons head on your windscreen) then you are in so much more trouble than if you were below the limit.

Where’d you get caught Goose? You’re right regarding proving speed, one reason why I drive to the speed limit more in a truck as my actions are written down. I wonder what would happen if cars had speed recorders?

Adam_Mc:

bubsy06:

And not true.

Speed is actually OK. What kills is sudden stop (when you hit a concrete wall for example) or sudden acceleration (when you hit a pedestrian).
:grimacing:

orys:

Adam_Mc:

bubsy06:

And not true.

Speed is actually OK. What kills is sudden stop (when you hit a concrete wall for example) or sudden acceleration (when you hit a pedestrian).

Depends on how you look at it…if you’re a physicist or a mother with a dead son, you’ll have different answers.

I attended a Saturday morning course near Hull,. A Nun in uniform was sat at my table and didn’t know ANY answers to the written question so she copied mine.
I kept my gob shut, but there were also a couple of people there who constantly interupted, disagreed with the ‘trainer’ and were generaly coming across as idiots.

Adam_Mc:

orys:

Adam_Mc:

bubsy06:

And not true.

Depends on how you look at it…if you’re a physicist or a mother with a dead son, you’ll have different answers.

Well, if you are a physicist, you will know that noone can be killed by SPEED - only by sudden change to his speed’s vector :wink: