O/D for Tarmac or Cemex

Hello all, :slight_smile: I’ve been lurking around this fantastic forum for sometime and just recently became a member, however this is my first post as so far I’ve not felt the need to ask anything and have left advice giving to the more experienced members. :wink: I’m looking for advice on becoming an O/D for Tarmac or Cemex in and around the Buxton area, I’m aware the term O/D is subjective when describing working with / for the likes of Tarmac or Cemex but this seems like the most appropriate place to post this request. Don’t do it posts are more than welcome, however I would ask that any negative advice be kept insightful, if it helps I’m not expecting to make my fortune and the practical aspects of being an O/D will not be a problem; Also if anyone knows someone directly working in this area for one of these companies but is not a member of this site, please P.M. me.

I would hang fire for at least 12 months, they havent got enough work for the O/D’s they have now! As regards to becoming an owner driver, i would do a search on this forum, there are some excellent helpfull threads that have been posted in the past.

However, you will need at least £20,000 in capital to cover fuel, wages etc. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks jimmy2loads, I’ve got capital but it’s not being an O/D in general I’m interested in, it’s specific to the two companies and area I’ve mentioned. As for there not being enough work you might be right but Dove quarry looks to be hammered and from what I can gather there is a large amount of expansion going on with Buxton lime and in particular cement. Were you talking in general or do you have direct knowledge of the Dove and Buxton quarries?

rates out of dove for cemex are crap

Hi Lee, can you be more specific and how much work is there at the moment? Also do you know anything about the Buxton side of things?

i did have 4 trucks on with tarmac just had contracts terminated due to finance being paid off on 3
sent drivers into quarry to sometimes sit all day and not earn a penny .our local quarry has no work to speak of.if i were you i would leave it untill the economy turns then maybe give it a try
personally i never ever become a contract haulier again ive worked for both tarmac and hansons
you are as good as your last load.

Hi sammy dog thanks for the post, unfortunately there is no loyalty anymore, such is the modern world, it’s not right but we all have to live with it. I can well imagine that some quarries do have drivers sat around all day in this climate, however as an example Dove quarry seems to be packed out, as soon as the Tippers go in there back out again and from what I can gather in large numbers. As for giving it a try at any point, be that now or in twelve months, I would need solid information, which is hopefully the purpose of the thread.

Cbar:
Hi sammy dog thanks for the post, unfortunately there is no loyalty anymore, such is the modern world, it’s not right but we all have to live with it. I can well imagine that some quarries do have drivers sat around all day in this climate, however as an example Dove quarry seems to be packed out, as soon as the Tippers go in there back out again and from what I can gather in large numbers. As for giving it a try at any point, be that now or in twelve months, I would need solid information, which is hopefully the purpose of the thread.

IMHO, for what its worth,

Just watch the news, read the papers, listen to the radio, this country is about to implode, the worst has still to come, as you have been advised, wait for a year, AT LEAST [nearer TWO years IMO]

In todays Daily Mail financial pages, they are pointing out the problems with the banks, and actually saying that you are better off opening a bank account with TESCO, they are safer than the “normal” banks FFS :open_mouth:

The world is in a state, but, our state is even worse, GB and that vial creep Mandelson have not got a scooby doo :blush: :blush: :blush:

If you have £20k spare, spend the lot on premium bonds, at least your winnings are tax free, and the money is as safe as it can be, AND, you can get it back in full when you want :open_mouth:

i’ve just put one in tarmac @ newark (blocks) and am doing just fine at the moment,i started there as an o/d five years ago (third generation of my family),i switched over to wincanton construction two years ago and never looked back,the magnum is still busy enough on that job,it’s a long story why i purchased an additional vehicle/trailer/crane and went back on tarmac,but i certainly don’t regret it…at the moment anyway.alot of this downturn is due to so much negative press/media hype,well that’s only my opinion.best of luck to anyone starting on there own,that’s what i say.andy.

Tarmac are going through a big reorganisation at the moment, the regions are being made bigger, all down to anglo american losses.There are big cuts coming, so I would hang back for a while.

Thanks for your input Stanley but not everywhere and everything is doom and gloom right now, I agree that in general terms it’s good advice to hang back at the moment, however if I think there’s an area that is bucking the trend, I’m not going to sit back and not ask the right questions. Lee said that Cemex at Dove are paying crap but what is crap for one person might be acceptable for another, or as with Dove a lot of others, I hope he posts back with more information.

V8Actros, I’m glad your doing well, my hat goes off to you and thanks for post.

Dave, thanks for the advice on Tarmac, much appreciated.

Cbar, Id seriously think about approaching dove and other buxton quarrys to see if theres an opportunity of becoming a contractor before you look into anything else.I speak with quite a few of the lads pulling out of buxton on a daily basis and for the past few months theyve been carrying out of cemex in N Wales due to the fact of no local work. I wouldn’t like to see anybody raise there hopes if you decide to give it a go just to be refused when you approach the quarrys.Like jimmy 2 loads mentioned,theres little work for the contractors now.I cant see any quarry taking on fresh starts.but i hope im wrong and i wish you well

lee hawke:

ive been offered jobs out of dove to lincoln 28.5 ton load £5.00 per ton but turned it down how can u make money on that

lee hawke:
rates out of dove for cemex are crap[/qu

globby 480:

lee hawke:

nar then “D” why arnt u called 420 scania u dont drive a globby sinse they got shut of you

lee hawke:

globby 480:

lee hawke:

nar then “D” why arnt u called 420 scania u dont drive a globby sinse they got shut of you

so you found me ey hawkester ey!!! you may want to tell them how the scanias pass that down hill racer you are aiming up and down!!! unless you are on a suspended tow as normal with em dutch craps,

ey hawkie… BARNSLEY BUILT ON DOLE NOT COAL!!!, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: go get the mini and get in the garage and stop messing around on here

lee hawke:

lee hawke:

ive been offered jobs out of dove to lincoln 28.5 ton load £5.00 per ton but turned it down how can u make money on that

Problem is, there’s always some one daft in enough to do it at that rate. Thats the case in North Wales!

lee hawke:

Assuming you’re meaning the quarry at Dove Holes, that’s about 70 miles for £140. If you happen to have ended up in the area (or even somewhere like Manchester) with an empty bulker and you live in Lincolnshire, then surely £2/mile to get you (some of the way) home is acceptable? Maybe I’m missing something.

Paul

Hi littleElf, thanks for the post, very informative. I’ve got to admit it’s not what I was hoping to hear, three weeks ago I was told that Cemex have been upping production out of Buxton and Dove was as busy as always.
lee hawke, thanks for posting back.
repton, that’s what I was wondering.

It’s often difficult to get the tone of a post right, nothing can ever replace that face to face chat, so you can pickup on the facial expressions, tone of voice Etc… it occurred to me that I may have come across as pushy, so I think some explanation is in order. I’m in the unenviable position of having to move, with SWMBO and the lad, into the area due to family commitments; This means giving up my job (to far to travel) and finding something up there. As we all know there’s not much in the way of new job’s being advertised at the moment and I only know one or two people in the area, as I’ve been getting conflicting information about work up there, particularity the quarries at Dove and Buxton, I’ve been trying to get the bottom of it. We’re ready to move as soon as I find something (SWMBO already has) I think I’ll take some time off and go knocking at some doors, any recommendations?

If those quarries are as busy as the “rumour mill” states then there should be a few established “contract hauliers” maybe looking for a driver or two,that way you will get into the quarry and sort out the “wheat from the chaff” before you commit any serious dough :exclamation: :wink:

BTW the following may just put you off:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28004