nvq Training

Long distance clara:
So are you saying Mechanics. Electricians Builders plumbers etc etc are Not Very Qualified?

The NVQ is as good as the person assessing and the candidate taking part. You cant fail an NVQ but you can not be given ot as you do not meet the standards so would require more assessments.

I’d hazard a guess and say that the above mentioned tradesmen went to college for a few years or did a 3 or more year apprenticeship to learn their trade. Its a bit different to driving a truck isn’t it. All you and people like you are doing here is coming along after people have been doing the relatively simple job of driving a truck for years, decades in many cases and jumping on the gravy train of bureaucracy thats strangling the very life out of this country with all of your legally required paper qualifications.
Its blatently obvious to me that all this complete horse crap such as the DCPC and NVQ’s for jobs such as truck drivers are of absolutely no use to anybody except the government bodies thinking up the ideas and the legions of “training providers” who make their living out of this dishonest scam of selling one back ones own credentials to allow you to carry on doing the very job you’ve already being doing for years or decades. In less polite surroundings this type of activity would be called extortion which is exactly what the DCPC is. As for NVQs, its beyond me how a job as simple as driving a truck that would take no more than a few weeks or a month to teach anybody could possibly be strung and drawn out and exhagerated to even be compared against something like that of an electrician. They are in no way the same thing, not even close.

company i worked for wanted drivers to do the NVQ, which would be assessed on the job, but the training would be classroom based and unpaid? I then asked about the assessment in respect of being paid, I was told by Tm that the assessment would take place during a normal delivery day but no we would not get paid, so I refused to take part… the reason give for the training was to reduce the company insurance, however 99% of any accident was the outcome of using poor agency drivers/mates during busy times (this is not a knock at agency guys but it was the way the company operated they would not take on new staff without experience or driving assessment and a trial period but would welcome any driver or mate from a agency without any knowledge of their driving history)

those that did agree to the training were soon dropping out when they realised that getting back to the yard at 4pm and then had to hang around another 3/4 hours for some classroom training…

robinhood_1984:

Long distance clara:
So are you saying Mechanics. Electricians Builders plumbers etc etc are Not Very Qualified?

The NVQ is as good as the person assessing and the candidate taking part. You cant fail an NVQ but you can not be given ot as you do not meet the standards so would require more assessments.

I’d hazard a guess and say that the above mentioned tradesmen went to college for a few years or did a 3 or more year apprenticeship to learn their trade. Its a bit different to driving a truck isn’t it. All you and people like you are doing here is coming along after people have been doing the relatively simple job of driving a truck for years, decades in many cases and jumping on the gravy train of bureaucracy thats strangling the very life out of this country with all of your legally required paper qualifications.
Its blatently obvious to me that all this complete horse crap such as the DCPC and NVQ’s for jobs such as truck drivers are of absolutely no use to anybody except the government bodies thinking up the ideas and the legions of “training providers” who make their living out of this dishonest scam of selling one back ones own credentials to allow you to carry on doing the very job you’ve already being doing for years or decades. In less polite surroundings this type of activity would be called extortion which is exactly what the DCPC is. As for NVQs, its beyond me how a job as simple as driving a truck that would take no more than a few weeks or a month to teach anybody could possibly be strung and drawn out and exhagerated to even be compared against something like that of an electrician. They are in no way the same thing, not even close.

this,totally 100% spot on,

robinhood_1984:

Long distance clara:

A man who speaks the truth and good sense, I applaud you sir.

Robinhood i agree with you regards mechanics etc but i think you miss the point, its not the NVQ thats bad it is the delivery. An NVQ apprenticeship is worth while to a new driver. Driving, loading,unloading,vehicle checks, security of the load etc etc all covered and assessed in the reall world. The new driver then has a day or a few hours with a suposed experienced driver in the form of the assessor.

please tell me how this can be bad. NVQ’s are voluntry unless your boss insits so dont hate the qualification hate your boss if he is making you train in something you know all about.

Also the comment about anyone can be taught to drive a lorry is nearly true bit out of all the ones taught how many can do the job properly. Also that statement is also a bit disrispectful of the industry but explains the attitude towards wages

Long distance clara:
Robinhood i agree with you regards mechanics etc but i think you miss the point, its not the NVQ thats bad it is the delivery. An NVQ apprenticeship is worth while to a new driver. Driving, loading,unloading,vehicle checks, security of the load etc etc all covered and assessed in the reall world. The new driver then has a day or a few hours with a suposed experienced driver in the form of the assessor.
please tell me how this can be bad. NVQ’s are voluntry unless your boss insits so dont hate the qualification hate your boss if he is making you train in something you know all about.
Also the comment about anyone can be taught to drive a lorry is nearly true bit out of all the ones taught how many can do the job properly. Also that statement is also a bit disrispectful of the industry but explains the attitude towards wages

I can’t speak for Rh, but I agree with it being a good thing for a newbie and the same for DCPC. but a waste of time, and more importantly money, for an experienced old hand. If I had to do a dcpc/nvq/abc or xyz driver asessment it would be one hand on wheel, one foot on dash, and brewing a cuppa, but that’s because I’m a right arsey ■■■■■■■ :smiling_imp: , and would refuse to play their bloody stupid games. As for disrespect to the industry :unamused: you only reap what you sow.

Robroy thats fine if you dont want to play the game but calling the NVQ Not Very Qualified is taring all NVQ with the same brush

Long distance clara:
Robroy thats fine if you dont want to play the game but calling the NVQ Not Very Qualified is taring all NVQ with the same brush

At what point did I refer to NVQ as “Not Very Qualified”, I think you will find that was somebody else, I think it was “Pointless meaningless Crap that creates revenue, and non jobs for various tossers” that was my analisys and general opinion of it.

Rob was not saying you did i meant in generall when people use that term. Writing is not ny think :slight_smile:

Long distance clara:
Rob was not saying you did i meant in generall when people use that term. Writing is not ny think :slight_smile:

OK, no probs. :wink:

NVQ Level 2 in whatever is less valuable than toilet roll. What an absolute waste of time a certificate to say you can do your job!! Please - Level 2 is insulting and obviously I know that builers / plumbers / electricians etc do have to have work based certificates but one assumes that these are at a lot higher level■■? Maybe not as I seem to remember back at school it was the less academically bright that went to Tech to do the old trades. Tin Hat on

When I started in the 70s there was no DCPC or NVQ and yet for decades we did the job well without any major issues so what makes it now necessary to have these ?

Rog
When my grandad went to work they used asbestos quite happily and got on with the job ok.

Things change industries change, in a few years NVQ’s will go and something else will appear.

I think the NVQ IS about making driving a recognised trade/skill like a mechanic etc.

That line is not meant to cause offence try and read what i am trying to say. As said all ready not good with the written word.

Long distance clara:
Rog
When my grandad went to work they used asbestos quite happily and got on with the job ok.

Things change industries change, in a few years NVQ’s will go and something else will appear.

I think the NVQ IS about making driving a recognised trade/skill like a mechanic etc.That line is not meant to cause offence try and read what i am trying to say. As said all ready not good with the written word.

but driving isn’t a recognised trade / skill and never will be! Driving is driving with sometimes a basic knowledge of other skills thrown in (very basic mechanics etc). To say that driving is a skill like a mechanic is to try and say that by putting a NVQ in place in McDonalds makes the people who prepare the burgers / fries etc into chefs! I am sorry but the simple fact of the matter is NVQs at this level are purely rubbish

Long distance clara:

There is no point being missed at all. A mechanic, an electrician, builder or plumber are all trades that takes years to become proficiant and much longer to master. Driving a truck is in no way similar, the actual skills required and the time it takes to learn those skills can easily be fitted in to a matter of weeks and this NVQ nonsense is of no more actual value than a 21 year old lad going out for 2 or 3 days after he’s passed his test with his dad or any truck driver for that matter who’s been driving for more than 5 minutes.
I think its bad because its yet more bs dreamt up from government pencil pushers to feed and clothe the huge amounts of what would otherwise be unemployed ex call centre workers who now fill roles in the ever expanding training provider industry.

Disrespectful towards the industry. Quite the opposite really. What is disrespectful is when government quango’s, the EU and the hordes of training provider cockroaches patronise an entire industry by firstly claiming that we need periodic training to continue to do our own jobs and then delivering such poorly delivered nonsense that rather than inform drivers, it leaves them even more confused due to the often wrong and contradictory nonsense they’ve been educated with by the before mentioned cockroaches.
Wages have nothing to do with this. Just by being given a DCPC or an NVQ it doesn’t alter the fact that I’m still doing the same straight forward job that I always have been and it doesn’t somehow make a manufactorer or freight forwarder up the rates that they pay to my employer due to some perceived added value of my expertise derived from the before mentioned pieces of paper. Truck driving isn’t a hard job, most people could physically do it, the one thing that seperates us on here from the rest of society is that most couldn’t cope with the job mentally. The early starts, the late finishes, the traffic, the deadlines, the henious driving hours regulations, the being away from home and sleeping in a truck at night, sometimes all week, sometimes longer. That is why we earn more than a shelf stacker, not because driving down the M1 is difficult, because it isn’t, not because checking your oil level or tire pressure is difficult, because it isnt, not because strapping down a load of wire coil is difficult, because it isn’t. Anybody could do those things and they are the only things your so called training is catering for and they are the things that we are all very capable of doing already, thank you very much.

That’s the thing anyone who can tell there left from right and with unoposed thumbs can be taught to drive a truck. In a matter of weeks.same asthe NVQ which I have done but would never dream of putting it on a cv if I ever done one. In education circles they are known as not very qualified.
Everything I’ve learned along the way had been from watching and listening to others.

Sorry to disagree RH but driving a lorry or any vehicle is a skill and no less important than a mechanic/electrician. As for being able to do it in a couple of weeks is not true either as I meet people with 30 years behind the wheel who can not do it properly.
The 1 day NVQ is a waste bit the new QCF NVQ apprenticeship delivered correctly is well worth it for newbies and for old hands COULD BE a good refresher but that is down to the assessor.

The comment on wages was aimed at the fact people on here say wages are dropping then you come out with a statement like that, in my mind it be littles the job a little. But forums are all about opinions and when it comes to training we will probably always differ

Is there anyone who is not in the training industry who thinks that dcpc and nvq are good ideas for experienced lgv drivers ?

Funny enough Rog a lot of the old hands who I have been training DCPC have said they have found it useful but have said it is too long and should be paid for by the boss. Also the NVQ when delivered properly as stated has had some good reviews as a little refresher but not many will admit it in front of drivers as it them against us.

The industry is changing in 20 years this will be the norm mate.

I can see the merit in some periodic training for drivers just to keep us fresh as times and things change but the current cpc is very flawed.