nvq Training

The firm I work for have announced That they tend to do NVQ training alongside CPC I don’t know any more details at the moment I was just wondering if anybody else has Done any NVQ training and is there any advantage To it

only advantage is if the NVQ is jaupt approved - you will have a qualification and some/all hours to your DCPC, - that some employers may take note of, it is worth noting if the NVQ is jaupt approved - by attending you would still get your DCPC hours even if you fail the NVQ course - mad isnt it…

Rolling the D-CPC into an NVQ means that it might be possible for your employer to get some of the training funded externally.

This isn’t automatic, though.

NVQ is a bit more ‘show and tell’ than bog standard DCPC, in terms of the trainee having to demonstrate skills and understanding. But if you can do your job properly you should be able to get to NVQ standard without too much trouble.

It sounds like it’s worth doing the NVQ as it Adds Time to your CPC And you never know i Might even Pass the NVQ

oneleg:
It sounds like it’s worth doing the NVQ as it Adds Time to your CPC And you never know i Might even Pass the NVQ

Thats about it, I did my first 7 hours on a SAFED course which is a pass/fail - even if I crashed the truck - I would have had 7 hours DCPC :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

done it,it’s so the employer gets a reduction on cpc course costs(does’nt count towards cpc time) ,just drive round block on camera answer some obvious questions about load security and such, thats it.

I think you find that NVQ take upto 6 months to complete and find that it would be difficult to have as part of the DCPC, because as you have to have the assessment officer there all day and he would have to be aproved to deliver DCPC

There is this bit

Trainees involved in the National Vocational Qualification programme can obtain a vocational licence but defer CPC acquisition by a maximum of 1 year whilst still driving professionally. This is called the NVT Concession. Examples are the N/SVQ in Driving Goods Vehicles or the N/SVQ in PCV Driving. Trainees will have to register with either GoSkills or Skills for Logistics (depending on which qualification they are undertaking) and will receive a certificate to show they are covered by the NVT Concession.

delboytwo:
I think you find that NVQ take upto 6 months to complete and find that it would be difficult to have as part of the DCPC, because as you have to have the assessment officer there all day and he would have to be aproved to deliver DCPC

My NVQ level two took 6 hours to complete(in one day). Ive now got a free dcpc course to complete. happy days

“by attending you would still get your DCPC hours even if you fail the NVQ course - mad isnt it…”

Fail an NVQ I DON`T think so!!!

I am an NVQ assessor. firstly be very carefull as to what you are getting into an NVQ can not count towards DCPC as the NVQ should be carried out on the job and the DCPC off the job.

Some people have a DCPC course that will cover knowledge for the NVQ. As far as I am aware no funding money should go towards a DCPC.

Is it worth doing well that depends on yoir assessor. most just want to tick boxes and go home so no; if you get a good assessor who gives you a proper working assessment then yes it can be worth while but like with DCPC a lot of rubbish have lowered the course standards.

The DGV NVQ has no training to it- its observation
The DCPC is all training

I fail to see how the NVQ get DCPC hours

I suppose its possible for the NVQ funding to be high enough to cover the cost of the DCPC :wink: :wink:

Long distance clara:
I am an NVQ assessor. firstly be very carefull as to what you are getting into an NVQ can not count towards DCPC as the NVQ should be carried out on the job and the DCPC off the job.

I disagree. I done the 3rd part of my DCPC this week and it was done on the job. It was a defensive driving course, written by our in house driving assessor and fully approved by JAUPT.

damoq:

Long distance clara:

I disagree. I done the 3rd part of my DCPC this week and it was done on the job. It was a defensive driving course, written by our in house driving assessor and fully approved by JAUPT.

What clara meant was what I put me thinks

Both NVQ and DCPC can be ‘on the job’ but one is being trained and the other is being observed

damoq:

Long distance clara:

written by our in house driving assessor and fully approved by JAUPT.

a JAUPT approved assessor doesn’t need an assessors qualification, merely know how to fill out a form for JAUPT and therefore may not know how to conduct a ‘proper’ assessment. An NVQ asssessor must have a relevant level 3 assessors qualification as a minimum and therefore be able to provide a valid assessment.

Why the hell the DCPC wasn’t brought into the QCF when it was introduced is anyone’s guess!

delboytwo:

There is this bit

Trainees involved in the National Vocational Qualification programme can obtain a vocational licence but defer CPC acquisition by a maximum of 1 year whilst still driving professionally. This is called the NVT Concession. Examples are the N/SVQ in Driving Goods Vehicles or the N/SVQ in PCV Driving. Trainees will have to register with either GoSkills or Skills for Logistics (depending on which qualification they are undertaking) and will receive a certificate to show they are covered by the NVT Concession.

did nvq lev 2 in a day (got certificate upstairs) ,was told at work it’s to get the dcpc cheaper,done 3 part dcpc but got two to go,that’s my experience of the matter

As has been said the only advantage is the employer gets part funded DCPC, but in reality it’s just more pointless meaningless crap that creates revenue and non jobs for various tossers,… :bulb: in fact a lot like the DCPC :smiley: , but no doubt somebody will believe all the BS and hype and come on here to defend it :unamused:

No Valuable Qualification. i got nvq lev 2 and it means nothing for dcpc

It’s no more real value than the dcpc.

See above post too ^^^^^^

NVQs are not known as Not Very Qualified for nothing! :smiley:

Truckulent:
It’s no more real value than the dcpc.

See above post too ^^^^^^

NVQs are not known as Not Very Qualified for nothing! :smiley:

This is it. The old NVQ was not about training it was purely observational to see if you could do the job you said you could. The QCF NVQ now means training has to take place. This training can be classroom or it can be workbooks known as distance learning.

When I said off the job as far as i am aware the dcpc can not involve work like doing deliveries. It can involve driving i have carried out the defencive causes but no proper work was undertaken

truckerjimbo:

delboytwo:

My NVQ level two took 6 hours to complete(in one day). Ive now got a free dcpc course to complete. happy days

“by attending you would still get your DCPC hours even if you fail the NVQ course - mad isnt it…”

Fail an NVQ I DON`T think so!!!

Too right NVQ - Not Very Qualified!

So are you saying Mechanics. Electricians Builders plumbers etc etc are Not Very Qualified?

The NVQ is as good as the person assessing and the candidate taking part. You cant fail an NVQ but you can not be given ot as you do not meet the standards so would require more assessments.