NR Evans

Anybody got any up to date info on these? Usual stuff money, attitude, typical runs etc.

Preferably the Cross Hands depot but happy to hear about others.

Have searched on here but the info is from a while ago.

Seen their advertising 4 on/4 off and quite fancy that and I’m getting fed up of commuting 280 mile round trip a week.

I’d say from the outside looking in its a good firm, good kit, easy work, average money, same, same.

Cheers

Last time I drove for them was about 5 years ago and had driven a fair few times for them on agency from 1994 when they were Canvins through to about 2007. I went to an abbatoir where one of their depots is for a different firm about a year later and had gone downhill massively.

Ok. Thanks

Someone that i used to work with went to there Aldridge depot which they run on behalf of Dairy Crest, he delivers all the milk to the Morrisons supermarkets on the class 1’s, dont know much about money, but all the kit is new and the work seems easy enough.

JG

they do a lot of shop work for tj morris (home bargains) in south wales and the west.

They appear to employ tear arses and folks who think it is really clever to do doughnuts. That was my impression when they came to Hilton. Almost every vehicle had some damage.

All noted. Ta.

My father-in-law does a bit of agency for them… but only if there’s absolutely nothing else available. 'Nuff said?

According to one of my colleagues who did a few days there (albeit a few years ago) you will earn your money the hard way; if you’ve got hours left you’ll be back up the road.

Tbh it was only a fishing trip after a ■■■■■■ day. Wasn’t overly convinced by what I’d heard in the past. Just wondered if still the case. Ah well keep plodding on.

Cheers for the replies anyway.

Have you tried Mansel Davies, see if they’ve got any tanker work out of Temple Bar? I did hear that there was some going, 4 on 4 off.

I haven’t. I’d heard the pay was abysmal. Ill accept less money due to the area but I have a limit.

Is it milk “trunking” or farm collections?

kjw21:
I haven’t. I’d heard the pay was abysmal. Ill accept less money due to the area but I have a limit.

Is it milk “trunking” or farm collections?

Trunking I think.

True, the money’s not good but they don’t tend to lay people off unlike Owens’, who are notorious for that.

Yeah that’s true. I’ve avoided even thinking about Owens cos they seem very trigger happy on redundancies. Yet miraculously have a lot of casual/temp work.

Had an interview with them last Monday, seem really good firm to work for (2 friends work there already) good kit, easy work, Take home is around £400 per week but can be made up doing extras on your 4 off. That’s at the Anglesey depot doing fridge work.

scantheman:
Had an interview with them last Monday, seem really good firm to work for (2 friends work there already) good kit, easy work, Take home is around £400 per week but can be made up doing extras on your 4 off. That’s at the Anglesey depot doing fridge work.

£400 take home for 4 on 4 off. That’s good I must say. That definite ?

Definitely is, like I say, I know 2 that work there already and the take home is 400 plus if you do an extra run on one of your days off then take home is around 460.

truckerjames123:
Someone that i used to work with went to there Aldridge depot which they run on behalf of Dairy Crest, he delivers all the milk to the Morrisons supermarkets on the class 1’s, dont know much about money, but all the kit is new and the work seems easy enough.

JG

That’s what I do for them from that depot. I’m on a 4 on, 4 off pattern doing a week about on two runs, 5 drops each that take between 9.5 and 11hrs @ £120 per day. There are always extra shifts available so you can do 6 on 2 off every 8 days if you are not fussy about start times/type of work you are doing and there are no nights out at this depot. I’m quite happy, been here for nearly 5 years now, although for the first 4 and a bit I was one of the office supervisors (I saw the light!).

From Aldridge they cover the DC work (both retail and trunking), Home Bargains and other random jobs/round trips. Vehicles at Aldridge are less than 3 years old (60/11/61 plated), but are worked hard day and night (the 2 year old motors are up towards half a million kms)… and they are Premiums, so easy enough to drive, but not that clean inside and they do have the odd ‘battle scar’.

Crosshands, Gaerwen, Cardington and Carnaby are based around the meat contracts, but they do have other work. Hilton is much the same as Aldridge, work wise, just more of it. National fleet is 120+ units now I think, or it was late last year.

PauliePaul:
Crosshands, Gaerwen, Cardington and Carnaby are based around the meat contracts

That is what I used to do running out of Carnaby. If you go to Cardington you need a really strong stomach when you go round the back of the factory. It almost made me turn vegetarian. Going into the staff toilets was even worse there.