nova services?

hi all

i am currently doing agency work. and while talking to another driver today who also was on agency. he told me about company called nova services which paid all your taxes etc and he showed me take home pay of £700 plus every week for on average 50 hrs . he also said he paid as little as £12.00 tax a week. also you can claim for car phone workware etc . i have looken online but can not find a site for them .just to put you in the picture you are basically self employed . this company set up a ltd company in your name ? sound dodgy or what? any info please let me know

regards

ricky

yes very dodgy it sounds steer well kleer 700 per week for 50 hrs yeah right :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve never heard of them but, ask yourself, “If, in this day and age, they don’t have a Web page, then why?”

As for phones and PPE, if you can justify having to buy equipment in order to pursue a course of employment, then you can set that against Income Tax. That applies to everyone. You just have to convince the Taxman that it is a legitimate expenditure. :smiley:

Drivers who are supplied with a ‘uniform’ that carries a Company Logo, and which they are required to launder themselves, are also allowed an allowance to set against Income Tax. (I think the figure is £88 p.a.)

Employers are also allowed to pay Drivers a Tax Free daily ‘Meal Allowance’. In 1997 the figure was £2 per day. In 2003 the figure is…still £2 per day. I am not aware of any employers who pay it, but over the year the savings in Income Tax and N.I. Contributions would pay for a good meal out for two. The employer would also save a few quid on their portion of N.I. Contrbutions.

As for being your own PLC, this was a common practice within the I.T. Industry in the late 80’s. I think the Govt introduced measures to prevent this. (Although it can still be done, subject to restrictions, and was discussed on the old forums)

Your post reminds me of an agency that I have referred to before. I’m not in possession of sufficient factual evidence to enable me to name them but, their operation centred around issuing pay slips that showed that Income Tax and N.I. had been deducted. However, these monies were never forwarded to the Treasury. When they came under pressure, they went into liquidation. From memory, Companies House shows them having gone bust in 1999, and 2001. They are still trading under a slightly different name - probably doing the same thing.

So how does this affect their employees? The Inland Revenue writes to the agency employee and bills them for unpaid Tax and N.I. - If the employee cannot produce the pay slips showing that the deductions were made, then they have to pay.

The other ‘cautionary’ comment I would make is in relation to the driver carrying his pay slips with him. A friend of mine, an I.F.A. (Independent Financial Advisor) relates a story of trying to arrange a mortgage for a driver. He needed to have pay slips covering the last three months. The driver replied, “I just leave them in the cab, but another driver cleaned it out, so I don’t have them” P60? “I never keep that.” :unamused:

Agencies - check them out, Companies House, Accreditation by Representative Bodies.

Pay slips - take them home, file them away.

As for Nova, check them out, do some research, speak to the Trading Standards covering the area in which they are based, a personal visit might be better. Ask if they have any current interest in the Company. It’s unlikely that they will tell anything directly but the difference between, “Yes, we’ve heard of them, but are not able to discuss such matters” and “We’ve never received any complaints about a Company of that name” speaks volumes. :slight_smile:

Just a quickie as I’m off to bed, but I can assure you Nova are legit’. I know an agency driver who is on it. Not many drivers know about it. You can only be on it if you’re are an agency worker. I forget all the nitty-gritty but don’t knock them, you can honestly (and legally) make a killing on it. (Why do you think I’m trying to get back on the agency again? :sunglasses: ).

If I’ve time tomorrow I’ll do some investigating. There must be agency drivers on here who are on it surely ? The agency I was with in Leeds actually told me about it and all the benefits. I was suspicious at first, naturally, but after checking it all out with this other driver it’s all okay.

It works something like they pay you on your wage slip the minimum they can legally get away with in paying the legal minimum tax and NI to ensure you still make your necessary contributions and the rest of your wage is made up of expenses. Does that make sense? A driver showed me all the documentation and expenses and stuff and it’s all above board.

Get on it :smiley:

You may find a previous thread on this subject relevant, you can find it here.

This thread wasn’t about a company called Nova Services but it seems to be a similar set up.

Rob K:
It works something like they pay you on your wage slip the minimum they can legally get away with in paying the legal minimum tax and NI to ensure you still make your necessary contributions and the rest of your wage is made up of expenses.

Expenses claimed against tax would need receipts etc. to back them up, so if you have the receipts you are only getting back what you have spent and if you haven’t got receipts then the tax man could well be hitting you with a nice bill at a later stage.

It is genuine, most or all of ADR agency drivers are on the nova scheme, however, no doubt the goverment will realise and change it if they can.

That’s the way these things seem to work I think Gurner, they make the most of loopholes in tax legislation and those loopholes are closed pretty quickly.

I have the Nova Brochure in front of me and their emailaddress for information is enquiries@novaservices.co.uk

Their website address is http://www.novaservices.co.uk

I know of a number of people on this scheme and all have nothing but praise from it and as their brochure is very comprehensive I would suggest an email to request one :slight_smile:

Pat

:smiley: thanks Pat, that saves me the job of looking. Knew it was kosher.