Not quite a wannabe, but

As someone who is interested in all sorts really, what would be the procedure of wanting to have some HGV lessons without actually wanting to take the test? I know it would be a quite expensive thing to do, but my main concern would be, would I be just stuck in the training area, cos what I have gathered on here is you need to have and to go through all sorts of criteria :frowning: Do you need a medical before you go out on the road training and all the other stuff or is that just for the test and/or actual job of being HGV driver? I would actually like to go out on the road for a bit of the training ( a nice straight bit) :laughing: I know you have to start with a puddle jumper (I think that’s the correct phrase) but would really like to progress to the big 'un. Just wondering if it’s at all possible without all the rigmorale involved.

Yes you need to do a medical and apply for the provisional licence before you would be aloud on the Rd and you wouldn’t be able to drive c+e provisonaly on the Rd before u pass c first

You must hold a provisional licence to drive on the public road; this involves no more than a medical and filling in a form.

You would not need any training for theory nor would you take any theory tests.

Back in the day, the CE provisional was issued instead of C. And those drivers could still take an artic on the road without having passed C. (Obviously subject to being accompanied, L plates etc). There are still a number of these licences around though the numbers are dwindling.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers both. So around £100 or so (medical and P. Licence) then it would be possible to get started? Good to know about no theory involved.

Do you have 7.5 t G? If you passed your driving test before 1996 ( I think ), you should have the entitlement.

I passed my test before 1996 and the biggest vehicle I’ve driven was a box van

As you passed your test before 1st January 1997, you hold C1 entitlement on your licence already. This allows you to drive vehicles up to 7.5t.

If you wanted to drive over 7.5t, you’d need a Category C licence. You can get a medical done for as little as £50 and the provisional licence is free.

So for £50 you could get the provisional then book a single session with a local training provider for around £200 to try it out. Prices depend on the area and the company.

Goldilox:
I passed my test before 1996 and the biggest vehicle I’ve driven was a box van

You should already have cat C1 on your licence then.

Goldilox:
I know you have to start with a puddle jumper (I think that’s the correct phrase) but would really like to progress to the big 'un. Just wondering if it’s at all possible without all the rigmorale involved.

You could have training in a cat C vehicle (rigid) but you could not have on-road training in a cat C+E until you hold a cat C licence.

Peter Smythe:
You must hold a provisional licence to drive on the public road; this involves no more than a medical and filling in a form.

You would not need any training for theory nor would you take any theory tests.

Back in the day, the CE provisional was issued instead of C. And those drivers could still take an artic on the road without having passed C. (Obviously subject to being accompanied, L plates etc). There are still a number of these licences around though the numbers are dwindling.

They are also only now valid for C not for CE unless C has already been passed

Thanks for the info on this everyone.
But paulweller, what do you mean try a single session with a local trainer for £200? Would it not be hourly??

ROG, not sure I understood what you meant about all the C and CE’s. Is it good or bad? Will study replies in depth tomorrow.

Cheers.

I will dig my licence out tomorrow too and have a look. :smiley:

As above, you have Cat C1, but need Cat C (rigids of any size. Think 4 axle tippers like you see coming from building sites) to even drive an artic provisionally.

Also a puddle jumper is a 7.5t. It’s a derogatory term because apart from the fact you can powerslide them if you want to, they are usually quite ■■■■ (■■■■ steering, ■■■■ brakes, and you’ll usually use them to do ■■■■ jobs)

I also powerslid an 18t once. That thing was feisty. Scared the ■■■■ out of some kids who heard the noise and saw 10m of truck coming towards them :unamused: And scared the crap out of the drivers mate I had when I slid the 7.5t. It was an accident but it was dead funny. :laughing: :laughing:

Since when? Obviously they cant be used in the normal manner for getting through to CE but if the entitlement is on the licence it must be valid - provided it’s in date which I admit is highly unlikely.

try a single session with a local trainer for £200? Would it not be hourly??

That depends on how the trainer operates.

The crafty way is to book free assessment drives. But I didn’t mention that.

Peter Smythe:

Since when? Obviously they cant be used in the normal manner for getting through to CE but if the entitlement is on the licence it must be valid - provided it’s in date which I admit is highly unlikely.

I think you will find the CE provisional part was revoked in the early 90s when HGV changed to LGV

Many motorcycle ones also changed over the years

I would imagine that for those that still have an old licence with the old provisional entitlements on them will find they have disappeared if they check their licences online

It’s much more likely that the licence will have expired on 45th birthday. Given that the licence wouldn’t have been issued at that time until the person was 21, we’re talking 24 years. With all the changes in licencing in the 90’s I would doubt if there’s more than a handful of these about.

But I have no recollection of the entitlement being revoked although, of course, it’s practical usefulness was destroyed with staged training. (And what a lot of expensive nonsense that’s proved to be!!)

Just checked my licence and if I am reading it correctly I can drive C1 D1 and C1E. Can’t think the C1E is right as the little picture looks like a wag and drag! :astonished:

Hmmm,free assessment drives, sounds good :laughing:

I didn’t realise the term puddle jumper was derogatory - thought it was an affectionate nickname,lol

C1E is a 7.5t vehicle with a trailer over 750kg, you’ve probably got a code 107 on it which limits you to 8,250kg.

Ah, so it does tacho. Thanks bud.

Goldilox:

7.5t has a tacho in has done for a long time now

animal:

Goldilox:

7.5t has a tacho in has done for a long time now

Think she was just thanking tachograph for his help, lol.