Not how to paint the A5

Night pallet muppet hits Hinckley bridge
Lorry strikes railway bridge and sheds paint over road bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l … e-61618365

A night in white satin :grimacing:

ban knives, ban guns, ban bridges

Outstanding effort 10/10 :laughing:

Well he gets two prizes for that one! Hits a bridge then spreads paint across the road!

Shame he didn’t paint the town red !

i just don’t know how ‘driver’s’ keep managing to hit that bridge :frowning: it’s well sign-posted for miles.that guy must surely lose his job over that one…i’d imagine the clean-up wouldn’t come cheap!

carryfast-yeti:
i just don’t know how ‘driver’s’ keep managing to hit that bridge :frowning: it’s well sign-posted for miles.that guy must surely lose his job over that one…i’d imagine the clean-up wouldn’t come cheap!

But my phone google sat nav say route ok and to take it , no worry about 5.5m trailer

blue estate:

carryfast-yeti:

But my phone google sat nav say route ok and to take it , no worry about 5.5m trailer

To many rely on what sat navs tell them as being gospel,

Probably involved a few awkward phone calls to both his employer and network rail…

Pennineman:

:smiley:

Pennineman:

Well he never reached the end… :wink:

lolipop:

blue estate:

carryfast-yeti:

That is exactly the problem.
Drivers don’t LEARN routes anymore., they just blindly follow their 400 quid sat navs, just read that ‘Garmin’ thread on here… . ‘‘The sat nav ‘‘sends’’ me here, it ‘‘sends’’ me there’’… it doesn’t ‘‘send’’ you any ■■■■ where, it’s a GUIDE., an aid ffs!!
They switch their sat navs on, and switch the initiative section of their brains off,.and drive around with their eyes shut.
I’m in Dundee at the minute with the Mrs (in the bar whilst she gets ready…could be here some time :laughing: ) we went under a bridge in the car earlier today,.she said afterwards ‘‘I bet you can tell me how high that bridge was’’…and I did, because she knows me.

It should be drummed into you as a pro trucker,.otherwise you should not be doing the ■■■■ job
:unamused: .

robroy:

lolipop:

blue estate:

carryfast-yeti:

That is exactly the problem.
Drivers don’t LEARN routes anymore., they just blindly follow their 400 quid sat navs, just read that ‘Garmin’ thread on here… . ‘‘The sat nav ‘‘sends’’ me here, it ‘‘sends’’ me there’’… it doesn’t ‘‘send’’ you any [zb] where, it’s a GUIDE., an aid ffs!!
They switch their sat navs on, and switch the initiative section of their brains off,.and drive around with their eyes shut.

LEARNING routes, using a truckers atlas, is just as likely to get you in a pickle if you come across a diversion, or get an extra delivery you weren’t expecting. [emoji6]
I doubt there’s any way in the world that you could do 30 drops per day without a satnav.
All methods rely on reading road signs.

stu675:
I doubt there’s any way in the world that you could do 30 drops per day without a satnav.

:laughing: :laughing: Aye right.
Doubt all you want mate, I aint fussed.
All I’m saying is how do you think we did that pre 90s or whatever it was before sat navs existed.
Coming over from Belgium and Holland with maybe not 30 but definitely maybe 20 or so to back street UK deliveries was a regular thing…nothing clever about it btw, you just had no choice.
Prior to that working for National Carriers as a young lad, doing parcels around ■■■■■■■■ there was certainly 30 or more drops in those days.
I agree it is easier using a sat nav, and I would deffo not be without one today…but certainly not impossible as you seem to think.

stu675:

Pre PratNav I did more than 30 drops a day. Used to use the Philips county street mapbooks. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Street-Atlas-Norfolk-Spiral/dp/1849072051
Box full of them. I wouldnt claim that they were superior to a Satnav but it certainly was doable

msgyorkie:

stu675:

Pre PratNav I did more than 30 drops a day. Used to use the Philips county street mapbooks. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Street-Atlas-Norfolk-Spiral/dp/1849072051
Box full of them. I wouldnt claim that they were superior to a Satnav but it certainly was doable

Also just getting out to ask for directions, either a passer by or nearest fuel station.
All my A to Zs ended up in a charity shop, the print got too bloody small for me. :smiley:
Doubt if they were any god to anybody, they had pages where my little girl drew on when she used to come away with me…she’s 36 now. :laughing:

Even though I’m not overly high , 14,6 (4.4m) that is high for a rigid .
As soon as I see or am aware of a bridge approaching my senses just go up a notch
Even routes I have been on before and I know I can get under there is always just that extra
Sense of awareness , people might say that’s being too cautious but that’s just how I am ,also very cautious around our friends with there steering wheels in front of the passenger seat .

Happy Trucker1:
Even though I’m not overly high , 14,6 (4.4m) that is high for a rigid .
As soon as I see or am aware of a bridge approaching my senses just go up a notch
Even routes I have been on before and I know I can get under there is always just that extra
Sense of awareness , people might say that’s being too cautious but that’s just how I am ,also very cautious around our friends with there steering wheels in front of the passenger seat .

No you ain’t too or over cautious mate, ,you sound as if you know what you are doing.

Incidentally, speaking as one who was a one of those you mention for many years, and who has known and worked with many (good and competent) Euro drivers ., I’d be more wary and careful around those indigenous ones with their steering wheels on the right tbh mate if I was you . :neutral_face:

> robroy:
> Incidentally, speaking as one who was a one of those you mention for many years, and who has known and worked with many (good and competent) Euro drivers ., I’d be more wary and careful around those indigenous ones with their steering wheels on the right tbh mate if I was you . :neutral_face:

+100 or even more - It’s the ones with the steering wheels on the right that do most bridge damage, and most else as well.