Not drivers- labourers!

Well, I text’d the agency this morning (too tired to have a row) and said I’d do this saturday at brakes but don’t want to go back anymore from then on - then I turned my phone off so I could get some sleep because agencies don’t seem to understand if you work during the night you need to sleep during the day (don’t suppose they’ve ever tried it!).

Sofar, I’ve had no flack or begging but I’ve had a text asking me to call them about some “future work” hmmm, not sure what to make of that one :unamused:

And I know the drivers, who don’t want to go to well-known in Glasgow Pakistani Cash and Carry as they say it’s too hard work (and I have to tell, it used to be worse but since new guy took the transport side over, it’s now all legal and safe (although there is still lot of heavy work involved)).

I am so glad with my new jobs. I was collecting today from the film site, about 14 small crates, boxes and suitcases, three girls brang it over to my van, and later I heard my office staff wondering if it can be hanballed by one man! :slight_smile:

orys:
And I know the drivers, who don’t want to go to well-known in Glasgow Pakistani Cash and Carry as they say it’s too hard work (and I have to tell, it used to be worse but since new guy took the transport side over, it’s now all legal and safe (although there is still lot of heavy work involved)).

I am so glad with my new jobs. I was collecting today from the film site, about 14 small crates, boxes and suitcases, three girls brang it over to my van, and later I heard my office staff wondering if it can be hanballed by one man! :slight_smile:

The office staff were wondering if one man could hand-ball 3 girls? Sounds like my sort of job. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a bit of an attitude problem with regard to handball, fair enough on a rigid, if that’s what the job is, you have a choice whether you take the job or not, I’ve done jobs that require handball, at the time I didn’t mind, I was young & nobody was going to give me a 142 Scania, so I did what I had to do, but on an agency, you sign on as a driver, so therefore you should drive, that’s it, simple, I would’ve been in my car & on the way home before the door had slammed shut behind me :wink:

It’s rigid work, trouble is they don’t tell you it’s handball before you leave , find out when
you get there!
Happened again last night 6 pallets up in lift
down corridor then unload through small door
, walk round to back of store room! Bol locks!!
called the agency & told they are taking the
pish again!! Got back to yard, theyasked me to
do another load!..Goodbye ,! There
are too many people just bending over & taking
it up the chuff, if I wanted to carry boxes around
all night I’ll go work ina ware house, NOT!

I used to do whsmiths on van sales so i know the typical layout usually a narrow door in a lane with a narrow flight of stairs up to the storage area. 20 boxes of crisps and i was knackered going up and down the stairs :laughing:

Definitely sounds as if you should have a drivers mate but its cost cutting so the logistics company can maximise profits from the contract but its the driver that carries the burden :unamused:

newmercman:
with regard to handball, fair enough on a rigid,

No, it’s not fair enough; I know it’s not as much as an artic but a 26tonner will carry 15t, dunno about you but handballing 15t doesn’t sound much like driving to me. And yes, I have had to do it a few times. Wheeling pallets to the back door for the forky or cages onto a scissor lift or upto the shops back door is part of the job, this crap isn’t.

ive worked for a wholsale company only a small local one it was multidrop into mostly newsagents and discount shops a bit like p and h it was handball so getting close to the shop was always a problem had to drag pallets up paths and roada viia a pallet truck i always had customers virtually telling me to stack there shelves for them, i have to say i did my best and got to know my regular customers who in turn sorted me out over christmas and always got my freebies, but i new what the crack was but in this case you will find a high turn over of drivers and the agency dont care as when u go they will have another poor soul in to do the donkey work i hate agencies they used to be decent but because the competion for work is so high they have become underhanded lying scum and i feel have ruined alot of the working market for fulltime employment, lets just hope the new law will give them a slap and stop them driving the hourly rates down , the law is if you work for agency you have the same wage as the regular employees and the s me entitlement wel thats my understading of it

i certainly would not do any of that full stop.
i went to netto daventry with 6 pallets of beer, when i got on the dock all the elec barrows were broke.
when i asked what do we use he said, pump truck yeh ok … so it came back to yard.
one driver was taking off 26 pallets of carlsberg with a pump truck that had a dodgy wheel.
idiot.

greggy:
i certainly would not do any of that full stop.
i went to netto daventry with 6 pallets of beer, when i got on the dock all the elec barrows were broke.
when i asked what do we use he said, pump truck yeh ok … so it came back to yard.
one driver was taking off 26 pallets of carlsberg with a pump truck that had a dodgy wheel.
idiot.

i seen a fella at booker trying to tip 26 pallets of beer with a pallet truck, poor bassa had a box trailer :cry:

You’re asking for a accident/injury doing things like that.

The tail lifts they have here are too small for chep pallets, so you have to drop the flaps to get it on, already told them its dangerous as pallet can run away if on a slope! they say " well all the other drivers do it"

More fool them!
soon as an accident happens it will be the drivers fault for not following procedure and having the flaps up!!
:imp: :imp:

hmm some of the comments here are fair enough, as what the OP was being asked to do was in my opinion unreasonable, but for example I pulled a trailer melbourne to adelaide the other night, 2am delivery 12 pallets of frozen chicken was my first drop, tonne a pallet, little asian chicken wholesaler, fridge box van trailer, had to wheel the pallets out to him to lift them off.

going by this thread some of you boys would have said im not doing that, but what do you do at 2am and you have 2 more drops after that at 4 and 6 and youre 700 kms away from the depot?
all you can do is just get into it and get the freight off so you can get on your way surely?

beattun:
hmm some of the comments here are fair enough, as what the OP was being asked to do was in my opinion unreasonable, but for example I pulled a trailer melbourne to adelaide the other night, 2am delivery 12 pallets of frozen chicken was my first drop, tonne a pallet, little asian chicken wholesaler, fridge box van trailer, had to wheel the pallets out to him to lift them off.

going by this thread some of you boys would have said im not doing that, but what do you do at 2am and you have 2 more drops after that at 4 and 6 and youre 700 kms away from the depot?
all you can do is just get into it and get the freight off so you can get on your way surely?

That’s fine. I don’t think anyone would have an issue with spinning the pallets round on a pump truck and dragging them to the back to be frked off (why is the word frked in the auto-censor■■? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: ). I use to do this when I was on for Featherstone’s as it’s normal routine at the fruit markets and a 6ft tall pallet of bananas also weighs a tonne :open_mouth: . Where it all goes wrong is when they require you to tail lift them off the truck and then drag them up hills and kerbs as well as put the stock away. That’s just taking the ■■■■.

agreed rob!