Norway expand winter tires rules from 2015

From Jan 1st 2015 it will be required to have winter tires on all wheels between Nov 15th and March 31st.

Press release is available here (Norwegian only):
regjeringen.no/en/dep/sd/pre … ?id=768203

Edit:
To make this a bit more clear. The difference is that the trailer also has to have winter tires from now on.

An english version here, sorry, but it is just a pdf.

vegvesen.no/_attachment/7009 … 014-15.pdf

NO NO NO,this wont work,an EE tried this the other day not far South from where i live,gotta larf aint ya

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106986

Is this the same rules change?

chris54:
NO NO NO,this wont work,an EE tried this the other day not far South from where i live,gotta larf aint ya

Gotta give him full credit for trying though and using a bit of ingenuity!! :wink:

Simon:
Snow tires in Norway, new laws - EURO DRIVING FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Is this the same rules change?

yes, the same change.

As you say got to give him a B for ingenuity but an A plus for stupidity for being in that situation.
Must also give the Norwegian customs and ministry a big C for letting him get so far without Control at the border.

Wow! Thats a new way :smiley: verry creative :open_mouth: I meet a cz driver in Norway years ago who Put the chains inside out so they would get a good grip in the tyre. He didnt get verry far…

Danne

hutpik:
As you say got to give him a B for ingenuity but an A plus for stupidity for being in that situation.
Must also give the Norwegian customs and ministry a big C for letting him get so far without Control at the border.

Hi Mike,jepp the mind boggles,this little stunt cost our EE friend 7000 kroner,finds and the cost of new Scandinavian Chains

Chris

Bet that put a dent in the profit for the trip.He was lucky they didn’t make him have tyres as well.

hutpik:
He was lucky they didn’t make him have tyres as well.

I don’t think you can call it luck as winter tyres were not compulsory when that igenious setup was photographed and it looks like well above the required 5mm of thread on the tyres.

Maybe it wasn’t compulsory but if the photo was taken when conditions warrented fitting chains then winter tyres would have been compulsory and even if there’s 10mm they ain’t exactly top quality tryes for Nord Norge are they :question:

hutpik:
Maybe it wasn’t compulsory but if the photo was taken when conditions warrented fitting chains then winter tyres would have been compulsory and even if there’s 10mm they ain’t exactly top quality tryes for Nord Norge are they :question:

Correct Mike,for the EE from tallin (milodon ) this was in fact only the other day,it was in Bjerkvik,which is the first place one comes to from Bjørnafjelle , which as we know is from Kiruna Sweden,he was apparently given a fined also further south,a very costly trip for this silly little boy,hahahaha
Chris

Dirty Dan:
Wow! Thats a new way :smiley: verry creative :open_mouth: I meet a cz driver in Norway years ago who Put the chains inside out so they would get a good grip in the tyre. He didnt get verry far…

Danne

Its a funny old world Danne, god helg forresten :sunglasses:

hutpik:

yes I guess the officials didn’t see the need then. not saying the tyres were any good but only that they were not compulsory a few days ago. and I would once again like to point out that the truck I’m driving is outfitted with new winter tyres on all axles and 7 good chains of right dimensions, as inspected by vegvesen at the kontrollstasjon near Larvik last week, just in case a certain bitter xenophobic and lonely gentleman wants to tar everybody with the same brush.

chris54:

Dirty Dan:

Danne

Its a funny old world Danne, god helg forresten :sunglasses:

Yes it is. Go helg du med :smiley:

Forgive me if i’m wrong but even if the ‘‘new’’ law is not yet in force surely the ''old law concerning winter tyres on,at least drive axle is valid from 1st Nov[and i think in Troms,Oct]is valid.
Whilst i accept your ‘‘sticking up’’ for fellow EE surely you must accept that they take many more chances with rules and regs up here in the North as we are ‘‘the middle of nowhere’’ than they would ,for example in Germany or France.
Here it seems the mentality is ‘‘oh there’s no people and no-one to see me so i’ll take a chance’’.

actually, it’s not me sticking up for anybody, just merely pointing out a few possible inaccuracies. whilst there have been a few fierce defendors of the lands east of frankfurt oder, I am not one of them. but that doesn’t mean I will sit idle and let some unhappy person spit out baseless slander (not you of course)

and it’s not really that they’re thinking they’ll get away with it, most hauliers stranded in the north just go where their forwarder tells them to go - for a company from cluj napoca with three trucks there is no room to negotiate a set of winter tyres and chains into the price and if they won’t do it, the forwarder (oh let me see here, BRING for example, owned by the state of Norway) will drop them like a bad apple. and as for getting away with it I’ve been checked by vegvesen and politi every month since I’ve been driving in scandinavia, compared to an average of once a year when driving sweden - spain for four years.

As you say the costs can be quite prohibitive for companies driving up here in the winter.Unfortunately this relates back to the problem of price for the work.I sometimes go as ‘‘second driver’’ with a colleague from Holland to Nord Norge to help with the driving regs.They only have the work in the winter as the Dutch exporters pay a premium for well equipped trucks and experienced drivers but after April the price is almost halved.The Dutch and Danish hauliers who come here in the winter accept it as being ‘‘part of the job’’ and invest with a long term view.Whilst i accept that EE hauliers are,in many cases taken advantage of,this is partly their own fault as many have only looked at the ‘‘capitalist west’’ and thought ‘‘i want a piece of that’’ without knowing or considering how long it took Western companies to reach the point they now have.
When the '‘newer’'countries joined the EU we had an explosion of work to them and what did we see,houses falling down,people going out to a standpipe for water and a new BMW in the drive.All you saw was new car dealerships,Macdonalds and sattelite dishes as if ‘‘this’’ was capitalism.
Unfortunately many bring this mentality to transport.New truck with all the gadgets but a 50yr old mentality of doing the job.

milodon:
actually, it’s not me sticking up for anybody, just merely pointing out a few possible inaccuracies. whilst there have been a few fierce defendors of the lands east of frankfurt oder, I am not one of them. but that doesn’t mean I will sit idle and let some unhappy person spit out baseless slander (not you of course)

I have been keeping my eyes on that, but seen you’ve been holding your own.
It’s usually all done and dusted by the time I see it anyway, cos I’m only on-line here weekends. Jumping in with my big size 12 boots, after they’ve already been slapped down, would probably be counter productive.
Don’t hesitate to report posts that get out of hand though. I may not be here, but others are.