Northwest Trucks

Collier Waste Foden from Manchester. (1984)

ramone:

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:
Bowker of Blackburn Leyland Beaver at the 21st Leyland Gathering, yesterday, July 7th,2019
at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, Lancashire. ray Smyth.

Here it is in service with its original owners, Hollins Paper Mill of Darwen:

What was the difference between the Leyland Beaver and the Leyland RAF ? I have a photo of a RAF my dad mated on . They look very similar.

The RAF-type Leyland was a refurbished WW1 de-mobbed vehicle, and the Beaver was introduced several years later, in both forward and normal control versions

T Bracewell of Church. Bedford KBV192 taken in Manchester 1958

Foden FG.British Soda Co Ltd of Sandbach travelling through Stockport in 1958

Leyland Hippo recovery vehicle belonging to Leyland truck agents Woodwards of Salford (Photo taken by Peter Davies in1976 at Knutsford Services)

Stanfield:
T Bracewell of Church. Bedford KBV192 taken in Manchester 1958

Hi John
Thanks for posting interesting photos as usual. Do you know if T Bracewell Church are related to AM Bracewell Church Accrington. Early 1960s I had delivered Mothers Pride Bread to Rolls Royce Barnaldswick and remember a Bracewell flat four wheeler wagon shunting in the yard. Most days I had given the driver a lift in from the village Bracewell North of Barnaldswick towards the A59. Just wondered if this is a coincidence or was the Bracewell lorry and driver another part of the Bracewell family.
Cracking photo of the Woodwards Wrecker on Knutsford services. When I worked at Williames Transport (Irish Haulier) Trafford Park I met one of our drivers at Anderton Services. He had broke down, his tractor unit Scammell Crusader and dennison 40 box were coupled up to a Woodwards Leyland Hippo maybe the same one as your photo. I tried as I could to keep up with the Woodwards wrecker but he must have been travelling 150 mph? When I got back to the yard the Wrecker had uncoupled the rig and ready to take the Scammell to their yard for repair. The other Williames driver was still pail white and shaking half an hour later. I may have been lucky but in all them years of driving wagons I had never had a breakdown,and would not look forward to having the same terrifying experience.
Cheers KEV

Bracewell.png

Perfect shot of the S Type Bedford 1958 Reg One of my fave motors, 7 Tonners but loved 10 Ton They had good brakes and pulled like a train with the Leyland Comet Engine in along with the Eaton two speed diff, The good old days in my book, Regards Larry.

Kev looking on there website company history there is a photo in the gallery showing the depot with a couple of T Bracewell Bedford’s parked up so it looks like it’s part of the same company.

Stanfield:

That stirs a (very) distant memory of that Co-op lettering on the chimney. :frowning:

gingerfold:

Stanfield:

That stirs a (very) distant memory of that Co-op lettering on the chimney. :frowning:

Yes Graham,it was known as Cooperative Wholesale Society when I were a lad,back in 40s and 50s. :smiley:

Stanfield:
Kev looking on there website company history there is a photo in the gallery showing the depot with a couple of T Bracewell Bedford’s parked up so it looks like it’s part of the same company.

They must be the same family - there aren’t two haulage yards on Dill Hall Lane

Thought this link would be of interest as it is a massive site but had to follow indexes on right of screen.
hydonian.blogspot.com/search/la … %20Millers
It has many tankers Fletcher Millers Castrol Hyde previously posted on trucknet but found a couple of others.
Cheers KEV

Hyde.jpg

Cafe hyde.jpg

Adamsons hyde.jpg

Godley.jpg

Another couple from the collection of Ian Fairclough (Australia)

These 2 may have already been put on earlier by Moomooland.

One from Boddington Brewery

ALBION Boddington Brewrey.jpg
C Heginbotham from Villa Road Oldham (anyone remember these)

It is hard to recognise now John , Bradford Colliery , English Steel and Johnson’s Wire all in a short stretch of the old 53 bus route and Bradford Gas Works just down the hill . In the very early years I delivered bagged stone dust to the colliery for fire damp and eventually came the full circle delivering building materials to the Velodrome and the Etihad stadium . Same thing with Hulme and Moss Side , Tarmaced the new roads when they flattened the slums and built the tower blocks , and when they knocked the tower blocks down I was delivering bricks and blocks for the new housing . ■■■■ it I must be getting old !!

You will have gone down this road many times Rigsby

My grandad worked at the Bradford Road gasworks, people look at me strangely when I say City’s ground used to me a coal mine.

The deck access flats at Beswick had the nickname “Fort Beswick” and the dodgy market across Grey Mare Lane, put Del Boy to shame. [emoji12]

When I first started driving ( mid eighties) Hoyles (senior) used to be based in the old English steel buildings.

When Hoyle (junior) set up his own company he was based on Broadway in Dukenfield.

Obviously my memory is going, can’t remember which company was Frank Hoyle and which was Joseph Hoyle[emoji2957][emoji2957][emoji2957]

Stuart Street power station, which was supplied with coal from Bradford Colliery with an underground conveyor belt.

Stuart St PS.jpg

Stanfield:
Ariel view of E&F Beatties coal & rail sidings at Bennett St Ardwick Manchester

My Dad Brian Campbell & his twin Keith worked for Beatties,used to go with my dad when I was young erm they were the days