Northwest Trucks

The 21st Leyland Society Gathering is on Sunday July 7th 2019 at the
British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, Lancashire. Ray Smyth.

This is a shot of the very last Borderer that survived on the Bewick fleet and is shot here at a gathering at the Leyland Motor Museum when in the capable hands of Chris Swindlehurst. The Atki was just kept as a “pet” once it was fully refurb’d although it did pull the recovery trailer at times on Trade Plates. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
This is a shot of the very last Borderer that survived on the Bewick fleet and is shot here at a gathering at the Leyland Motor Museum when in the capable hands of Chris Swindlehurst. The Atki was just kept as a “pet” once it was fully refurb’d although it did pull the recovery trailer at times on Trade Plates. Cheers Bewick.

Hiya,
Dennis was this Atki one of “Woffy’s” Waugh’s ?, I seem to remember the reg number

harry_gill:

Bewick:

Hiya,
Dennis was this Atki one of “Woffy’s” Waugh’s ?, I seem to remember the reg number

Hiya “H” how are you keeping Mate ? bearing up after your sad loss I hope. Yes you are spot on about the Atki as it had been a long term demo put into the Waugh fleet but because it didn’t have Power Steering the “pencil neckers” at “Woffy’s” blackballed it so it was handed back to Atky’s. But their loss was my gain as I bought a top class 12 month old unit for a lump less than new price in Jan '75 and it did us a great job for many years running on double shift for the first couple of years, Daventry and back at night and then either up West ■■■■■■■ or down into Lancs/Cheshire on days. Never had a spanner on it gave 100% reliable service throughout the time it was on the fleet then we re-furb’d it and it went into honourable retirement , a bit like yourself Mate ! :wink: Anyway look after yourself and keep in touch. Kindest Regards Dennis.

A couple of dealers adverts.

Does anyone remember Robroy Transport from Sale or Altrincham ?
Their lorries used to deliver to me in the late 1980s. I believe their
depot was next to a pub called “The Carters Arms”. Ray Smyth.

DEANB:
A couple of dealers adverts.

Hi a DEAN
Remember mid 1950s late 1960s Allen’s Transport were main contractor for Metropolitan Vickers, 1970s changed to AEI GEC and were at the rear of the plant on Moss road Stretford running Commer 2 strokes and had a massive warehouse part of AEI complex on Westinghouse Road. Allens transport had quite a few wreckers and about 50 unit and trailers at their yard garage on Moss road.
1970s they lost a lot of AEI work and believed went more in to general haulage and they replaced their fleet with MAN Units and also bought a load of TILTS and Tautliners. They stored steel, Massive Turbines for power stations, Wire from Warrington . Duerrs Jam, Kraft Marg Cooking oil in tins. Kilverts Lard and a bit of Lard from the CO-OP Iram.
Believe Allen’s became main northern agents for MAN and named the rental and sales side Trafford Vehicle Services.
Tried searching for Allen’s transport but seem to have gone off the planet. Allens motors were red.
Cheers KEV

Ray Smyth:

Ray I moved away from Manchester 1985 to Kings Lynn but do remember the name Rob Roy Transport but for the life of me cannot recall what motors they were?
Cheers Kev

Ray Smyth:

HMF766N by Bob Taylor, on Flickr

kevmorrow:

Ray Smyth:

Ray I moved away from Manchester 1985 to Kings Lynn but do remember the name Rob Roy Transport but for the life of me cannot recall what motors they were?
Cheers Kev

I went for a job there mid 80’s. There yard was behind a petrol station in Sale.

Thank you to Kev, 240 Gardner, & hayday for your comments. With a name like “Robroy”,
I have wondered if there were a Scottish connection ? Regards, Ray Smyth.

Photos found on net.

Photo by Graham Townsend

Atkinson.jpg

Leyland Comet.png

Stanfield:
Photos found on net.
Photo by Graham Townsend

I renmember the Beaver tractor well, when it belonged to Alan Williams of Euxton, and who had restored it. If I remember rightly, it was built as a heavy duty drawbar aircraft refueller chassis, and was cut down to a tractor, hence being quite a long wheelbase and having a very low mileage. I drove it once, very briefly, but I preferred my Atki. CTD 232E, or something like that.

Chris Catterall’s purpose-built pigeon carriers used to be a common sight in Lancashire, many based on coach chassis with coach front end panelling

I remember Catteralls racing pigeon lorries on Bedford coach chassis. They used to stop at the
top of my street, usually about 5pm on a Friday, load the pigeons into the large baskets, and
set off down south. Sometimes it was a 4 wheel Bedford, and occasionally it was a Bedford VAL
6 wheeler with Plaxton bodied front end. The bodywork had a narrow corridor up the centre,
so that the pigeons could be given water on the journey. Later on in the season, some of the
liberation points would be in France, Rennes, Nantes, and Bordeaux, so the collection day was Thursday.

I will be going to the Leyland Gathering next Sunday, July 7th, so I may see some Trucknet chaps there.
Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Is this the one you refer to Ray?
It’s a cracking looking lorry
Imgur
Regards John.

old 67:
Is this the one you refer to Ray?
It’s a cracking looking lorry
1982_04_17 KTE328F | Chris Catterall of Hambleton, near Blac… | Flickr
Regards John.

Thank you for your comment John, Apologies for late “Thank you” Ray. :blush: :wink:

Bowker of Blackburn Leyland Beaver at the 21st Leyland Gathering, yesterday, July 7th,2019
at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, Lancashire. Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Bowker of Blackburn Leyland Beaver at the 21st Leyland Gathering, yesterday, July 7th,2019
at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, Lancashire. ray Smyth.

Here it is in service with its original owners, Hollins Paper Mill of Darwen:

Photo-Bedford-Tipper-H-Evers-Ltd-Manchester.jpg
Anyone know who built these cabs with the suicide doors for Bedford .?

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:
at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, Lancashire. ray Smyth.

Here it is in service with its original owners, Hollins Paper Mill of Darwen:

What was the difference between the Leyland Beaver and the Leyland RAF ? I have a photo of a RAF my dad mated on . They look very similar.