Northwest Trucks

Clarendon Haulage Ribchester Nr Preston now based @ Mellor Brook Nr Blackburn where they moved to in 2000

T Schofield & Sons Haulage Royton Oldham (Not my photos, found on net.)

kevmorrow:
Gardner Engines Patricroft near Manchester. Used to see these wagons delivering engines most parts of the country.
Kev

My Great Aunt was L. Gardner Secertary in the 50,60,s . She lived across the road in Peel Green Rd Patricroft . Spent all her working days at Gardners

Smith Mickey Mouse Foden outside Alfred Price & Sons Ltd Fruit Importers Liverpool.

Unidentified Commer box van on Alexandra Road Hulme Manchester.

Road works at Ardwick Green 1966.

Couples of tippers operated by Beattie’s parked in Ardwick.

Beattie’s yard on Bennett Street Ardwick.

1964 registered Bedford TK coal lorry operated by Millingtons of Longsight Manchester in 1969.

BRS depot off Oldham Road Ancoates Manchester 1967.

Just nipped home for a brew down a cul-de-sac off Everton Road Manchester 1968.

Unidentified ERF KV tucked away in a yard at Longsight in 1966.

Moores Austin bread van parked on Exeter Street in 1964.

This DAF of T.W. Bowler of Stockport is seen passing through Standish, near Wigan.
Perhaps the Christian name of the owner is Tom :slight_smile: Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
This DAF of T.W. Bowler of Stockport is seen passing through Standish, near Wigan.

Ray. Bowlers driver must have a powerful CB set. Look at the twig above his Tractor Unit!
I know Standish well and local roads are a bit tight when vehicles parked.
Kev

The Commer looks like an old DCL yeast van but looking closer could be a meat wagon. Could be a meat wagon that collected waste meat from butchers like Gland supplies, they had a few Commers then Ford custom cabs but changed their paint work to white and blue.
Can you remember Smiths bone yard near Hyde on A57 the stench was vile. I tried to hold my breath while driving past but difficult when slow moving traffic.
They had Bedford vans with 3 axles…
Looking at the shop to the right of Commer UCLA as kids we used to call them Uncle Charlies Lunatic Asylums.

Nice photo of Prices van and last photo of Moores Breadvan. A few of my mates worked for Moores Fitzwarren street off Langworthy Road Salford.
One of the drivers was related to Alistair Cooke Radio journalist - ‘Letter from America, Radio 4’, born in Isaac Street, Salford in 1908.
KEV

Alexandra%20Rd%20Hulme%20b[1].jpg

kevmorrow:

Ray Smyth:

Ray. Bowlers driver must have a powerful CB set. Look at the twig above his Tractor Unit!
Kev

Kev, He probably needs a large twig to make sure he hears his Bingo numbers being announced.
After all… His name is Tom Bowler. :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Ray.

Ray Smyth:

kevmorrow:

Ray Smyth:

Kev

Kev, He probably needs a large twig to make sure he hears his Bingo numbers being announced.

Kev it’s the way you tell em’. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ray Smyth:

Boom Boom :smiley:

Kev, Gone but not forgotten .What a bloody stink that place sent out I used to pity the people who lived near by but on saying that i suppose most of them worked at smith.
unnamed.jpg

Stanfield:
Kev, Gone but not forgotten .What a bloody stink that place sent out I used to pity the people who lived near by but on saying that i suppose most of them worked at smith.

I was working at the time for Mothers Pride Bread Old Trafford and the town driver told the story.
About 1965 hot mid summer a Smiths motor had a major brake down on Tib street Manchester. This street was mainly butchers and pet shops and the Smiths vehicle had been there for a few hours and a massive build up of blue bottles maybe because the vehicles were not cleaned out daily. I believe Smiths did not have any chillers and just a canvas sheet at the back of the van door. NICE.
Going off the subject I remember BRS Oldham Road Depot but did they all end up at White City Chester Road Old Trafford. There was a lot of Scammel Scarabs but were they replaced with BMCs Ford Custom Cabs and Bedfords.
KEV

BRS%20Manchester[1].jpg

Fletcher Miller Oils Hyde.(Photos by Brian Oldham ex Fletcher Miller Mechanic)

AEC Mamouth Major Mk3.jpg

Stanfield:
Fletcher Miller Oils Hyde.(Photos by Brian Oldham ex Fletcher Miller Mechanic)
Hi John nice clean motors and good bit of history.
I only remember the Hyde plant as Castrol oil and this would have been about 1970 or a little bit later when delivering in a machine. Over time seen many Castrol tankers discharging at Mirrlees marine engine plant at Hazel Grove and assume some would have been from Fletcher Millers old plant. I suppose some could have been lube oil from other terminals.
KEV

Pictures provided from his Hyde Blog by Brian Oldham who worked at Fletcher Millers from 1956 as an apprentice mechanic and worked through to the 80s during which time it changed to Burmah, then Burmah Castrol and finally BP, Brian progressed to garage manager.

Commer TS3 2 stroke.jpg

Mainly AECs.jpg

Hi John
Nice Brian Oldham Blog and photos. Looking at the Guy Otter and sure they did not have nearside wing mirrors for that series and must have been difficult for overtaking if rear window was obscured when loaded. Searched Burma Castrol and came across tanker with looks like two oversized exhausts and assume these are Spark Arresters for delivering to highly flammable chemical or gas plants.
KEV

Castrol 2.jpg

Castrol.jpg

Otter11[1].jpg

Is that not the Leyland experimental gas turbine vehicle ?

Regards. John.

Hiya,
Just read in the Lancashire Telegraph that “Ken” Birchall the former boss
of Gilbraith Tankers has passed away aged 98 years of age, I wonder did
he have cause to give Russell Taylor Riley a good telling off during RTR’s
time there, nice fellah’ and a good age achieved, RIP.

kevmorrow:

Ray Smyth:

Kev

Kev…I wasn’t quite sure of the exact location when I first saw the picture, It is School Lane, the DAF is probably
on its way to the M6 at J27. The Beeches Hotel is on the left, Green lane on the right, and St Wilfrids C of E Church
and Winter Hill in the Background. Cheers, Ray.

Seen here parked outside the Marsham Tyre Company premises in Rusholme Manchester in February 1963 is a Leyland Comet four wheeler flat with a detachable van body operated by Parkers Transport of Surfleet Lincolnshire.

Leyland Commet 4x2 tractor unit Reg No 526 TAU operated by Marshall Haulage Contractors of Hucknall Lane Bulwell seen here heading East on the A6 Chapel Street in Salford while hauling a 26 foot four-in-line trailer.

Hague Transport of Ormskirk operated this Atkinson Silver Knight Mk I 4x2 tractor unit Reg No CTJ 976B.

On the left is Scott’s of Oldham Ford ‘D’ Series four wheeler flat Reg No MBU 972F pictured here in 1970 while parked in Swindles yard which was located on Pilling Street just off Oldham Road in Newton Heath.

Manchester Corporation Leyland Beaver Reg No UVR 527 seen here in 1963.

Wilsons Brewery ERF ‘Sabrina’ Reg No WNF 847 tucked away next to the Royal Oak on Ashton Old Road Manchester in 1963.

Outside the premises of James W Southern & Son Ltd packing case manufactures Manchester 1967.

Ford ‘D’’ Series with the Larch Mill Royton Oldham in the background.

Ray Smyth:

kevmorrow:

Ray Smyth:

Kev

Kev…I wasn’t quite sure of the exact location when I first saw the picture, It is School Lane, the DAF is probably
on its way to the M6 at J27. The Beeches Hotel is on the left, Green lane on the right, and St Wilfrids C of E Church
and Winter Hill in the Background. Cheers, Ray.

Hi Ray
Remember there used to be plenty loads of bulk coal and coke tippers late 1950s early 1960s using that route. There were plenty of mines round Wigan and outlining areas. The Motorway made life easier for wagon drivers.
My claim to fame.
Visited Winter Hill transmitter just a few days after it opened 1956.
1958 My brother got married and moved into his bungalow at Bamber Bridge Preston. The week or so later I visited them the day the Preston By-pass opened. Opened by Prime Minister Harold McMillan but I expect the youth of today would expect to see a burger Big Mac?
Regards Kev